Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Seat Swap - 66 Coupe

8K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  rose62 
#1 ·
Got my Coupe in March of this year, an import from sunny California.
After 50 years of loyal service the back frame of the driver's seat has decided to give up the ghost - it is bent and cracked and the adjustment bolt no longer holds it upright.
Being over in Europe, the price for a new seat frame is about 600 EUR - money I don't have for the moment.
Soooo I decided to see what else I could do - I was already thinking about upgrading my seats but TMI prices are way too much for me so I decided to try a modern alternative and came across some Mazda Miata (MX-5) seats.
The interior of my coupe is red and the new Mazda seats are too!
I've only fitted the passenger seat so far, I need to find the time next weekend to do the driver's seat.

The fitting was pretty easy - drill a couple of holes in the Mazda seat rails and put some bolts through them!

I'll have to widen the bolt pattern on the other side - asymmetrical seat rails. But that shouldn't be an issue.

Here are a couple of pictures - I'm really happy with them but let me know what you guys think!

Disclaimer : my car isn't stock and so the appearance of black plastic in the interior may be shocking to certain viewers.
If you are easily offended, please do not look down past the second picture :pirate:

See less See more
#4 ·
thought of doing that but I'll still have no support in the corners and no support to my shoulders/neck/head - I'll probably get it fixed at some point in the future when I can afford to change the whole interior to TMI but that's not a priority for the moment.

#9 ·
They look great! If you don't like the black, you could always spray dye them red. Just clean thoroughly, use adhesion promoter and a nice red. :pirate:

Reactions: PonyandTrap
#11 ·
Looks super!
Paint the black with red plastic paint and you are set!!
I also used Mazda seats in my 66 coupe. MANNNY years ago. Mine were RX-7 I think.
Cloth...so I had them re-upholstered to match the back seat.
Feel good....good support...much better protection IF a rear collision should ever happen! (I hope!)
Nice!!
6sally6

#13 ·
Expect serious seat base height issues with those. In fact, they look like they may be too wide as well.

Lastly, they look like they’re dark grey. If they don’t have a truly-black color available you might be in a tough spot.

I’d keep looking for a better swap solution.

#14 ·
I'd lean towards BMW. The E20's I had were some of the most comfortable seats I've owned. So regret trading them. Gotta love the early Porsche or 2002 seats for the chrome, quality and bolstering.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.