Widebody Quarter Panels for Pro Touring - Vintage Mustang Forums

11Likes

post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Widebody Quarter Panels for Pro Touring

Ok ok, before y'all freak out I'm not talking about some tuner fast and furious widebody kit for an early Mustang. What I AM talking about is creating body panels to widen the stance by 2-3" on either side of the car. I was skimming the inter-webs recently and came across a company that manufactures 'widebody' kits for the new challengers (I've given the link below). They use all composite materials and give you outter wheel well extensions with the kit. Now anybody that has modified an early Mustang (especially a 65/66) knows that there is VERY limited space under the rear of the car without doing a mini tub. My idea is make composite body panels that widen the car by 2-3" on either side, allowing the use of wider wheels, tires and rear end and giving us a wider wheelbase to work with.

My plan is to create a drawing of the panels using 3D modeling software that can then be sent to a composites company for a quote on manufacturing. These panels will not be replacements for the quarter panel but will instead lay over the top of them. Some trimming of the wheel well would be required to accommodate the larger wheels but the quarter panel would not need to be removed.

If there's enough interest I'll start mocking up a sketch that I can share. Below is the link to the company who does the panels on the Challenger. The second link is to Ron Schwartz' car that many of you have probably seen before. He did all of the work by hand (and did a hell of a job at that!) and I'm just trying to come up with a 'bolt on' solution to achieve a similar look. The pictures there are for reference to the dimensions of the car with the panels installed.

Challenger link: 2008-2016 Dodge Challenger Widebody Package ChallengerWideBody

Ron Schwartz Mustang link: 5 Tips for Building a $5000 Pro-Touring Mustang | MyRideisMe.com

1966 Mustang Coupe - GTS Blue
289, T5 WC, 8.8 Rear End
GETTING TORN DOWN FOR FULL BUILD

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 01:55 PM

Send a message via AIM to RyanSterling966
I believe that Ring Brothers is already making a widebody for the 65-66 in the manner you describe. Might be worth a look.

My Build thread:
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...thank-you.html

1966 Coupe I6 with australian head and a weber carb - Gone but not forgotten

2007 Mustang GT custom ordered - SOLD!!

1966 Fastback A-code - Finally Painted

2015 - JEEP Grand Cherokee Altitude Brand new daily driver/parts hauler
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

I know they've widened the body on a few of the Mustangs they've done but are they actually going to produce and sell something like that? I've haven't heard that before.

289, T5 WC, 8.8 Rear End

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 02:24 PM

Garage
Yup- they do- $27,500
1965 Mustang - Custom Wide Body Kit - Ringbrothers

There was another guy that did a similar build on another forum- it had a lot of reviews and opinions on the finished car and most weren't very good. It seemed the overwhelming majority thought it was in poor taste or wrong proportions, etc, but to each his own, right? I remember an article where a guy had essentially cut the car straight down the center nose to tail, then added material in to widen it that way. He wasn't flaring the wells, just stretching the whole car. There were a few pics of the car split, and I think a few with panels added in, but I don't remember seeing a finished car...

Buckle up- I wanna try something!!
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Wow yeah. Just went back and looked again and found that kit. $27,500!! Thats insane! I'm talking about something A LOT more subtle than that. If you could get panels similar to the Challenger link I posted that would give you the approximate dimensions of the the car Ron Schwartz built I think it would be pretty well liked by the pro touring/modding community. I could be wrong though. That's why I posted it up here. Just trying to gauge interest.

289, T5 WC, 8.8 Rear End

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 02:47 PM

$27,500?! I guess they'll make it up in volume.

LOL.
rpm likes this.

1970 Mach 1 M code
1990 5.0 LX Limited Edition

I keep noticing the DOT puts up signs to honor my burnouts. That's nice of them.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 03:16 PM

Plus honestly after seeing it in person I wasn't a fan at all. Looks better on the fastbacks but also saw a vert this year at SEMA and it looked ridiculous, completely ruined the proportions and made it look fat and bloated.

My Build thread:

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 03:25 PM

Garage
That's what the majority of the reviews said too...

Buckle up- I wanna try something!!
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 06:00 PM

I think I may have taken some pictures, will see if I can find em'

My Build thread:

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 09:30 PM

If your looking for subtle flare and more room you could do like Cobraautomotive does on the 65/66 GT350's they race in the vintage and use the lower portion of a 67/68 quarter panel.Hard to see I guess in this picture ,But I've seen these cars up close at Watkins Glen

Then there is always this option
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SUNP0056.jpg (88.3 KB, 194 views)

Last edited by 2nd 66; 12-01-2016 at 09:34 PM.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 08:23 AM

There's a guy over at cornercarvers.com that put together a JY wide body Mustang, equipped with a C5 front suspension and a NASCAR style truck arm rear suspension. Just about everything was hand formed. Here's a couple of photos. If you are a member of the CC site you can probably do a search for muttstang to see the whole build thread.
front flares under construction:

The Muttstang at speed

John

Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.
'14 SHO with most all the bells and whistles. Stock for now.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd 66 View Post
If your looking for subtle flare and more room you could do like Cobraautomotive does on the 65/66 GT350's they race in the vintage and use the lower portion of a 67/68 quarter panel.Hard to see I guess in this picture ,But I've seen these cars up close at Watkins Glen

Then there is always this option
I've actually though about using part of the 67/68 panel before. Good thinkin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by j persons View Post
There's a guy over at cornercarvers.com that put together a JY wide body Mustang, equipped with a C5 front suspension and a NASCAR style truck arm rear suspension. Just about everything was hand formed. Here's a couple of photos. If you are a member of the CC site you can probably do a search for muttstang to see the whole build thread.
front flares under construction:

The Muttstang at speed
Yeah this is the car from the Mustang link I had in the original post. That thing is amazing! He did really good work on it. Can't say I'm a fan of the LS1 but it made sense for his build. He only has about $5k in the entire car.

289, T5 WC, 8.8 Rear End

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 10:48 AM

Mini-tubs wont make the car wider, but now that there are preformed kits out there, its easier and you can 295's sunk in real nice on the '65-66.

"A good friend will help you move. A great friend will help you move a dead body"

1965 A-Code Fastback
Built, September 14, 1964 (San Jose)
Viper red, White/red interior
TCP R&P, G Bar rear 4 link/w shockwaves
Global West Upper/Lower/Strut Rods
Ride-Tech Air ride
4 wheel Cobra disc brakes/Hydroboost
363 Stroker/Paxton Supercharger
Mass-Flo EFI
Owned since 1983
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Yeah that's my point. By extending the body panels outward you allow yourself the ability to give the car a wider wheelbase while also putting more rubber on the road versus the minitubs just putting more rubber down. But you're right, the mini tub kits they have now make for easy installation.

289, T5 WC, 8.8 Rear End

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 03:37 PM

We built such a beast down here in Mexico, inspired a little bit by the Ring brothers and the old TCP race car... custom built chassis, 2" wider in the middle of the quarter panel, 1 1/4-1 1/2" on the front fenders, custom everything LOL

64.5 Coupe to Fastback project, 2008 Torch Red GT500

Last edited by Fede Garza; 12-02-2016 at 03:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page