About to go on a chassis wiring kit: opinions - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums

17Likes

post #16 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 05:44 PM

I used the American Autowire kit. I was very happy with it. To me, it was more suited to the modifications that I wanted. Its set up for a one wire alternator, AC, electric fans ect. It made more sense to use this than to butcher a factory style harness.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 05:51 PM
fej

I went AAW from research, as well as from the excellent installation right up available on CJ's and here on this site. Great details there plus the basic instructions will get most everything handled with an AAW kit. Almost everyone I spoke with who had done Painless kits called them "Painfull" kits.

I went custom routing (very little in the engine bay) and location for the fuse panel (top left corner of the firewall) which led to some complications and a few "wow that barely reached" type things, as well as some extra cable on the left kickpanel area, but all in all I could not see going another way for anything but a bone "stock" car. Also 3G alternator instead of the 1 wire, custom fan setup etc. Still have a nice harness that came with it to pull key on power from for power windows or locks or other accessories.

I would do another AAW kit, but plan on taking your time. I re-pulled my main wire feeds 3 different times and manipulated the bundles as I just didn't think everything out in advance the first 2 times heh.

Fej

1966 GT Coupe
Not much left original
Trying to do things once
MMI CO ~ Astro A5 ~ FiTech ~ MGW ~ AAW
post #18 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 05:52 PM

The AAW kit has no provisions for a stock alternator set up.
I used AAW for a couple of reasons: I have a 3-g conversion and the kit includes new ignition and all other switches.
I researched extensivly before the purchase and learned that Painless wasn't!
I did not need to buy anything else other than the 2/0 and 4/0 welding cable for the trunk mounted battery.

Modified 68 Mustang convertible, 331,AOD, MCA Red Grille Medallion, 2014 MCA Pinnacle Award Driven class
05 Mustang, MCA Grand National Gold

post #19 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by fej View Post
I went AAW from research, as well as from the excellent installation right up available on CJ's and here on this site. Great details there plus the basic instructions will get most everything handled with an AAW kit.
That's fantastic. Can you link me?

Thank you everyone! I know the subject's been covered but due to the excellent people on this site i gained enough info for my specific needs - Purchased the AAW kit!

-Tom
1968 Mustang Fastback
2015 Ford F150 FX4
2006 Mitsubishi Evolution IX
2002 Chrysler 300M Special

SchnorrCS: when people find out how into these cars I am, all the sudden they have/had one just like mine, but it was purple and had a hemi, and was a Shelby.
post #20 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue View Post
That's fantastic. Can you link me?

Thank you everyone! I know the subject's been covered but due to the excellent people on this site i gained enough info for my specific needs - Purchased the AAW kit!
http://www.cjponyparts.com/mustang-a...uctions/a/324/
TrueBlue likes this.

1966 Mustang Convertible, Original Pony Car - Being Painted
1963 Corvette Convertible - Red/Black, LS3, Tremec 5 speed, R&P, 1996 Suspension
1971 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia Convertible - Irish Green/Tan
1969 Camaro Coupe X44 - Restoration Started March 2017
post #21 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 05:48 PM

I've used the AAW harness a couple of times and prefer it over the Painless, The instructions are clear and the wire in the AAW kit appears to be a little thicker.
Here's a tip: After completing your circuits, use a lantern battery to check your work. It has enough power to light the lamps but not enough power to burn it down if you should make a mistake.

John

Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.
'14 SHO with most all the bells and whistles. Stock for now.
post #22 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 10:59 PM

I also did the AAW myself, along with an efi conversion, power windows etc etc. It was so easy to work with. Get the proper crimpers and you are laughing.
post #23 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hus65 View Post
I also did the AAW myself, along with an efi conversion, power windows etc etc. It was so easy to work with. Get the proper crimpers and you are laughing.
These are the proper crimpers, right?
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aww-510587

Brand: American Autowire
Manufacturer's Part Number: 510587

What makes these so invaluable? Jeez, for $180 I'd hope they'd wire the car for me

-Tom
1968 Mustang Fastback
2015 Ford F150 FX4

SchnorrCS: when people find out how into these cars I am, all the sudden they have/had one just like mine, but it was purple and had a hemi, and was a Shelby.
post #24 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 04:41 PM
fej

The crimpers can be found elsewhere with some research under different names, I paid the high price for them as well.

Spend some time with the harness before you start trying to mount the fuse box, decide how YOU want to route things outside of typical factory stuff (like the rear harness). I have most of my front end wiring routed in the driver fender well, and I cut a few things out that I did not need, but left enough to solder or butt connect if I had to or something changed.

I did a fair amount of split F6 sleeve akin to the write up here, but I didn't get crazy with it behind the dash, mostly just in areas visible or that may need some additional protection.

Great thing about the AAW, you can kind of install it how you want it.

Good luck, however long you think it will take, I would double it so you will feel more accomplished when you get finished

Fej

1966 GT Coupe
Not much left original
Trying to do things once
post #25 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 04:49 PM

AAW and Vintage Air???

So, there seems to be a ton of support for the AAW harness, which is good, because it's a bit cheaper (before the crimping tools)... that said, I need to know if the fuse block can be mounted in various locations, so that it will work with whichever of the 3 major aftermarket A/C systems I go with Also, do you need to use an aftermarket Tachometer, or will the OEM in dash tach work with this harness?

Fun Flys, When You're Doing Time![color:blue][/color]
post #26 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 02:28 PM

Send a message via AIM to RyanSterling966
I mounted mine pretty much dead center of the dashboard and turned it 90* towards the pass side. So I access my fuses through the glove box. I haven't done HVAC yet, but can't imagine it getting in the way really.

My Build thread:
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...thank-you.html

1966 Coupe I6 with australian head and a weber carb - Gone but not forgotten

2007 Mustang GT custom ordered - SOLD!!

1966 Fastback A-code - Finally Painted

2015 - JEEP Grand Cherokee Altitude Brand new daily driver/parts hauler
post #27 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fej View Post
The crimpers can be found elsewhere with some research under different names, I paid the high price for them as well.

Spend some time with the harness before you start trying to mount the fuse box, decide how YOU want to route things outside of typical factory stuff (like the rear harness). I have most of my front end wiring routed in the driver fender well, and I cut a few things out that I did not need, but left enough to solder or butt connect if I had to or something changed.
Is there a part number on the crimpers I could look up? Or are they a certain type I can research. (or do you want to sell your used ones? )

If anyone has install pics I'd love to peruse them. Great resource.

-Tom
1968 Mustang Fastback
2015 Ford F150 FX4

post #28 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 03:27 PM
fej

A quick google turned up a tool aid 18960, looks like a crimp kit type of tool that should do what you are attempting based on the PT forums. I make no endorsement for that tool, do a little more research before you pull the trigger. A few other people mentioned the tool trucks and Lisle as possible options, again your call. I do feel AAW is a little proud of their crimpers, and post google Summit immediately popped up with an offer for two crimpers at $170.

Fej

1966 GT Coupe
Not much left original
Trying to do things once
post #29 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 04:00 PM

You can get the S&G Tool aid 18960 at Amazon for $70 or one with 9 dies for $107.
http://https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=...l_42g1mhth1o_e

John

Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.
'14 SHO with most all the bells and whistles. Stock for now.
post #30 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 12:48 AM

Send a message via MSN to Blue Blood
Quote:
Originally Posted by j persons View Post
You can get the S&G Tool aid 18960 at Amazon for $70 or one with 9 dies for $107.
http://https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=...l_42g1mhth1o_e
Linky no worky

1995 GT Convertible - Laser Red - 331 stroker, Kenne Bell 2.2 - 415 RWHP 396 RWTQ
2002 Corvette Z06 - 410 RWHP 410 RWTQ
1968 Mustang Fastback .... Rustbucket slowly being reborn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page