About to go on a chassis wiring kit: opinions - Vintage Mustang Forums

13Likes

post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

About to go on a chassis wiring kit: opinions

I asked this on the Facebook page, but wanted one more go on opinions.

"Painless Performance 22-Circuit 1967-68 Mustang Chassis Harnesses 20121"
vs
"American Autowire Complete Wiring Harness Classic Update Kit 1967-1968."

Which would or did you buy? I'd prefer the best product!

-Tom
1968 Mustang Fastback
2015 Ford F150 FX4
2006 Mitsubishi Evolution IX
2002 Chrysler 300M Special

SchnorrCS: when people find out how into these cars I am, all the sudden they have/had one just like mine, but it was purple and had a hemi, and was a Shelby.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Should mention I'll be using the Ford Performance harness for a Coyote, too.

-Tom
1968 Mustang Fastback
2015 Ford F150 FX4

SchnorrCS: when people find out how into these cars I am, all the sudden they have/had one just like mine, but it was purple and had a hemi, and was a Shelby.
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 07:52 PM

I think it depends on gauges, etc. I don't like the fuse on painless so I think I am going American, I have auto meter gauges, etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 11:40 PM

when I rewire my '67, I am going refurbished
Welcome to Midlife Harness Restorations

'67 Coupe, 306 w/ EFI
AOD w/ B&M short Megashifter
EPAS w/ Bruno Box
Shelby Drop, 17" Replica's
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 12:51 AM

Send a message via MSN to Blue Blood
There's one more option, not trying to make it more difficult. You may want to also look at RonFrancis wiring. I don't have it installed yet, so I can't speak to that, but I did like the options that they offer for future add-ons.

CC
TrueBlue and 69StangRestomod like this.

1995 GT Convertible - Laser Red - 331 stroker, Kenne Bell 2.2 - 415 RWHP 396 RWTQ
2002 Corvette Z06 - 410 RWHP 410 RWTQ
1968 Mustang Fastback .... Rustbucket slowly being reborn
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 01:17 AM
MWM

I went with the Mr. Mustang wiring harness as it was all stock. If mine wasn't so butchered up, I would have used Midlife. Based on your comments, I would go with Midlife, he's brilliant on wiring and can probably help on your customization.
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 04:04 AM

Garage
I have to replace every piece of the wiring in my 69 Coupe & I am leaning towards using the AAW kit.

2000 Ranger 4X4 (my DD)
1999 Explorer Sport (wife's DD)
2008 Escape (spare)
1969 Mustang Coupe (project)
Build thread; http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...cs-t15096.html
AKA; mike65
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Most of the people I've talked to were pro-AAW over the Painless version, which was surprising to me.

-Tom
1968 Mustang Fastback
2015 Ford F150 FX4

post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 10:24 AM

Garage
I've done both albeit on older rides. I used the AAW on a '40 and it was perfect- wires were all marked about every foot, plenty of length, very nice fuse block that was user friendly and could be added to easily. The Painless I used on a '31, and while I really don't have any major complaints about it other than the fuses, I'd probably go with the AAW on my next one. I can't swear to it, but I think the AAW was slightly less expensive as compared to Painless and a few other brands (at least for my application anyway). During my '40 build, the Summit Racing brand column that I'd installed turned out to be a total POS- it fell apart before I'd even started the car! I'd already crimped the wiring harness with the proper connections to that column, and didn't want to butt splice it all back together on the replacement. When I called AAW I explained what happened and asked about a ordering a second wiring plug- they said no problem, then actually sent me a complete new column harness at no charge! Since I didn't buy the kit from them in the first place (and told them that), I'm somewhat biased to buy from them again!
TrueBlue and rusty1161 like this.

Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken. -Tyler Durden
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 11:35 AM

Garage
I went with AAW on my 67 coupe. I was looking at Painless as well. The mustang restoration shop I am working with recommended AAW as their current choice, having done both a number of times. In the end, I don't see any reason to consider anything different when I do it again.
TrueBlue likes this.
post #11 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 12:16 PM

Garage
I just remembered this, and it may not apply to the Mustangs, but- the kit for my '40 when I did it came with all the possible plugs/connectors that I'd need for about 3 different column choices, and various connectors for different sensor options. As I recall, similar parts were available from Painless but I'd have to order/buy them separately if they weren't in the base kit. Something to look into anyways...

Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken. -Tyler Durden
post #12 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 12:31 PM

If you're doing the work, calibrate your ability, tools and knowledge in electronics, then make a decision. The wiring schematics for the aftermarket designs are simply pdf's and basic wiring. If you want to change it up, or troubleshoot an issue, you better understand what you're doing, or plan on paying someone else to do it for you. If a shop is doing the work, let them decide which design they use.
post #13 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 12:39 PM

Garage
I have a Painless harness and I couldn't be more happy with the materials. I had an expert assisting me and I really don't know that as a novice, if I could have done it myself. I would not characterize it as plug-and-play. That said, I used a non-model/year specific kit as it offered more flexibility, which is what my wiring-expert friend preferred.

So in conclusion for Painless: Materials and quality, A+. Ease of install, ?.

I'm not an expert, but I play one on the internet.
post #14 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 02:05 PM

Send a message via AIM to RyanSterling966
Anyone with a good attention to detail and organization can do an AAW kit. It really comes down to making sure you have the pins right in your connectors. Other than that it's about as easy as wiring gets. I would order AAW again in a heartbeat.
j persons likes this.

My Build thread:
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...thank-you.html

1966 Coupe I6 with australian head and a weber carb - Gone but not forgotten

2007 Mustang GT custom ordered - SOLD!!

1966 Fastback A-code - Finally Painted

2015 - JEEP Grand Cherokee Altitude Brand new daily driver/parts hauler
post #15 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt350sr View Post
I've done both albeit on older rides. I used the AAW on a '40 and it was perfect- wires were all marked about every foot, plenty of length, very nice fuse block that was user friendly and could be added to easily. The Painless I used on a '31, and while I really don't have any major complaints about it other than the fuses, I'd probably go with the AAW on my next one. I can't swear to it, but I think the AAW was slightly less expensive as compared to Painless and a few other brands (at least for my application anyway). During my '40 build, the Summit Racing brand column that I'd installed turned out to be a total POS- it fell apart before I'd even started the car! I'd already crimped the wiring harness with the proper connections to that column, and didn't want to butt splice it all back together on the replacement. When I called AAW I explained what happened and asked about a ordering a second wiring plug- they said no problem, then actually sent me a complete new column harness at no charge! Since I didn't buy the kit from them in the first place (and told them that), I'm somewhat biased to buy from them again!
That's what I was looking for - someone that's done both kits, and on top of that, had an issue that was resolved by the company. Excellent info!

-Tom
1968 Mustang Fastback
2015 Ford F150 FX4

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page