1966 Mustang brake light switch installation - Vintage Mustang Forums

2Likes
  • 1 Post By 66/93project
  • 1 Post By 66_5.0

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 03:55 AM Thread Starter

1966 Mustang brake light switch installation

Hi all,

I'm in the process of trying to put my car back on the road and I have run into the issue of the brake light switch.

I have read many...many threads on this topic however I just seem to not get it.

The issue I am having is the brake light switch fully covers the shaft that comes off of the brake pedal preventing it from being able to be secured with the C clip. It's almost as if the shaft shrunk.

It was on there before...so I know it fits...somehow.

I saw another member having the same issue but I couldn't remember if they got it fixed or went with the GM part.

I would greatly appreciate all input...seeing as how this is 1 of 2 things left to get the car back on the road.

Ulises
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 06:34 AM

You have some bushings or spacers that are not properly lined up I think. Mine goes on quite easily.
awhtx likes this.

66 coupe | deep impact blue | 17" US Mags Ramblers | DSS 331 | TFS heads/Stage 1 cam | Dynomax Bullet mufflers | 3.80 Trac Lok posi | C4/Shift kit | PA Performance Billet Servo/Finned deep pan | CalTrac bars | 120mm Halo led grill lights | iPad mini Console/hidden pioneer stereo | Enclosed trunk/10" Kicker
Finally completed- working on last bugs....
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 08:27 AM

There's a picture of how everything should line up in the shop manual. This shot's from the '67 manual, but '66 is probably close.

Make sure though that you haven't knocked that center piece out of alignment. If it gets crooked it can push the sides out and make it too wide to fit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brake_switch.jpg (99.1 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by Magnus; 03-09-2017 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Added that this is from the '67 manual

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the replies. I have looked at that diagram over and over...still couldn't get it on. Now here's why..

I took a trip down to a local mustang parts store to explain the issue....and I found out I have a 64 1/2 brake pedal.

The 66 has a longer shaft....it's about 2x bigger than the 64 1/2.

Now...a question I have now is has anyone made a 64 1/2 brake pedal work on a 66? Apparently mine did somehow because it was working before I pulled the pedal assembly out.

Btw.... I bought the 66 pedal....and am hoping I don't have to rip the assembly out again.

Ulises

Last edited by 66_5.0; 03-09-2017 at 01:25 PM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

Ended up having to replace incorrect pedal with the correct pedal.

Had to disassemble the brake pedal support housing and re-install it a second time.

It took me 15 second to put the brake light switch on with the CORRECT pedal. 😡
Huntingky likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page