67 Mustang, with 66 4 lug axles disc brake conversion help - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

67 Mustang, with 66 4 lug axles disc brake conversion help

Hi I am looking for some help and insite here. We have a 67 mustang coupe 6cyl, upon vin decoding it appears this was built in November 66 and has the 66 c4 and 66 axles/spindles front and rear.

We are going to order the wilwood 140-12535 kit for a 66 4 lug.

My question and confusion is with the master cylinder, it appears that we have a 1967 dual bowl MC for the current drum/drum set up, and in 66 it would have had a single MC.

Also we would like to keep it manual brakes.

Can I use this current drum/drum MC and distribution block when I upgrade to the wilwood kit?

Do I just need a different MC?

are there any recommendations for the parts I need the would work. We just dont have the money to get a wilwood MC and prop valve at this time.

Thanks Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 12:26 AM

I just swapped my whole car from 4 wheel drum to 4 wheel disc. If you are going to be going to discs in the front I would suggest going to 5 lug while you are at it unless you are going to keep it a 6 cylinder. I don't think you will be able to use your current master cylinder one. You will need to get a disc/drum master cylinder because you don't want the residual pressure valve in the disc portion of the bowl or it can lock up the brakes from what I have heard. I believe there is a way to remove the valve but I am not positive on that. If you are going to have discs up front and drums in the rear than you will also need a proportioning valve because the distribution block I believe just splits the lines and distributes them equally to the front two and lets it run to the back. At least that's how it was on my 65.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 06:13 PM

you will need to swap your current master cylinder for a disc/drum master. to keep it manual, you need to source a 75 granada maser cylinder for non power brakes.

64 falcon
66 mustang
05 grand marquis

a man's fate is a man's fate
and life is but an illusion

fordsix.com admin

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 07:04 PM

Garage
What makes you think it has 66 spindles? I don't think that works. Even though it was made late 66, its still an early 67 model. It should have 67 spindles. You might also consider going with a stock brake solution rather than the Wilwood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page