Picking a distributor - Vintage Mustang Forums

7Likes

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Picking a distributor

I started with some searching, but only got more confused. Maybe because I was reading some track threads too. I am building up a newly re-machined 72 302 and need to find a distributor for it. I currently have nothing as I started with a long block. It's carburated, going into my 67 with a new AAW wiring harness. My plans so far have been to keep the car generally looking classic, but adding new tech where it improves it.

If you know of a recent thread I should reed, please link it (a lot are old and I am not sure if the advice is still sound 5+ years later). If you have advice, maybe on what you used, or what you think I should be considering for a street application, I am all ears. With all the various options in this space, I need to figure out what I need to be considering vs what is overkill for me. I am leaning away from points in general.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 12:36 PM

Being that concerned about originality go with a stock distributer and a Pertronics module, they seem to work quite well
I personally used a Crane distributer with no regards of what Ford put on the car.

Modified 68 Mustang convertible, 331,AOD, MCA Red Grille Medallion, 2014 MCA Pinnacle Award Driven class
05 Mustang, MCA Grand National Gold
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 12:56 PM

If it were me no matter what you go with the Pertronix work well and you can buy the parts off the shelf cap & rotor etc. Take it to a shop to have the advance curve set per the specs of your engine build.

If you go with something like MSD you'll have more control with more cost and a learning curve with an expensive engine to tune.

Just my opinion

69 2 dr Coupe 351W FMX Comp Cams Roller Holley Street Avenger

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 01:07 PM

I say send your stock distributor to Dan at The Mustang Barn and let him refurb and recurve to B302 specs and don't look back. Ask for Blue Streak components. Buy a couple extra sets of points, condenser, cap and rotor from parts geek and you're set.
Huskinhano likes this.

Regards,
Patrick
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 01:12 PM

You can buy a brand new (not rebuilt) factory style distributor with points , condenser, cap and rotor for $81.
Spectra Premium FD06 - Distributor | O'Reilly Auto Parts
Run it like that or put in the Pertronix.
I'd put a timing tape on the balancer and check the advance curve with a timing light. Buy a set of lighter springs (MRG 925D) to allow quicker timing advance if necessary.
Fairly inexpensive setup to get you going.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 01:20 PM

^and then send it to Dan because it won't be correct out of the box.
Bob & Sue likes this.

Regards,
Patrick
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 01:39 PM

I like Dura Spark from say a 79 Mustang
68Hildago likes this.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 02:30 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks everyone, this gives me a good starting point.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 09:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by awhtx View Post
You can buy a brand new (not rebuilt) factory style distributor with points , condenser, cap and rotor for $81.
Spectra Premium FD06 - Distributor | O'Reilly Auto Parts
Run it like that or put in the Pertronix.
I'd put a timing tape on the balancer and check the advance curve with a timing light. Buy a set of lighter springs (MRG 925D) to allow quicker timing advance if necessary.
Fairly inexpensive setup to get you going.
I have two of these distributors and frankly, they are pieces of crap. Not much of anything was in spec and it took quite an investment in new parts to get the units to function correctly. I spent about a week on each unit to get the mechanical issues straight and get a mechanical advance and adjustable vacuum advance curve in it that would work. Won't EVER do that again. Made a $500 investment in an MSD ready to run feel like a relief.
BradAlbrecht likes this.

Sven Pruett
Lake Orion, MI

1970 Boss 302 -
http://1970boss302.blogspot.com/
1932 Ford 5-Window Coupe "Boss 32"
1956 Thunderbird
1988 Mustang Hatchback - NHRA Super Pro
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Does anyone have experience with a complete Pertronix setup? Rather than trying to put it together myself, it looks like I can buy one from them assembled, then just add the coil and wires. The MSD seems overkill for my street setup from what I have been reading.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 09:12 AM

+1 on a Duraspark. MSD copied the design for a reason. Pick one up at Autozone and have it recurved. You can fire it with an MSD box and it looks like a stock unit.
68Hildago likes this.

'67 Fastback 427 Side-Oiler Viper Spec T-56 Versailles Rear w. .411 Gear TCP Front Suspension RC Motorsport Tri Link Cobra Brakes
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradAlbrecht View Post
Rather than trying to put it together myself, it looks like I can buy one from them assembled, then just add the coil and wires.
How difficult is it to remove 3 screws, take out the points and condenser and install the Pertronix trigger system?
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by awhtx View Post
How difficult is it to remove 3 screws, take out the points and condenser and install the Pertronix trigger system?
Not having done it before, I wouldn't know what was involved. I also wonder what the difference is between the stock distributor and the pertronix that would make me choose to mix and match versus just buying an assembled one.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradAlbrecht View Post
Not having done it before, I wouldn't know what was involved. I also wonder what the difference is between the stock distributor and the pertronix that would make me choose to mix and match versus just buying an assembled one.
Complete Pertronix distributor:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/p.../model/mustang

Pertronix conversion kit:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/p.../model/mustang
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 02:20 PM

Make sure the metal of the drive gear and your cam gear are compatible for long life. The gear on the dizzy can be changed fairly easy. Most come with steel gears, fine if your cam is also steel.
I have a "Skip White" SBF electronic dizzy for a few years now. Has the control box on unit. under $100. Has a very nice curve right out of the box.I have searched many times about any problems or failings with these units and all I every come up with are reviews of praise for the cost and quality. Google for yourself
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page