Vintage Mustang Forums banner

MSD Distributor Lock-out for Fitech

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  cyclone03 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

Thanks to forum's advice on a previous thread, I went ahead and upgraded my Edelbrock Performer intake to an Edelbrock RPM Air Gap intake. If it only makes 2 more HP it might be worth the 300 bucks because it looks much sexier! Ha! Pic attached as it sits today.

This intake will be used on top of a new engine for my 67 coupe project (306, Edelbrock Performer RPM aluminum heads, cam, roller rockers, etc). The engine is still sitting out of the car, so I want to do some work on it before dropping it in.

Not being a "carb guy", I am going to run Fitech's 600 HP kit and use their timing control. I have an MSD billet 2 wire distributor, and i will need to perform the distributor lock-out procedure so that Fitech can control it. I have the lockout instructions from MSD, and it looks straightforward.

My thoughts on how best to do the distributor work and the intake work would be to perform the lockout first, re-stab the distributor using marks I place on the intake, rotor and distributor to get it right back in the same spot as before, and then do the intake swap. If I pull the intake first, then it's harder to make good marks to re-stab the distributor later. I am not using intake studs so I think I can get the intake in and out without pulling the distributor.

Is this a good progression or will I be cussing trying to get the new intake dropped in around the MSD?

Thanks!

-- Mike

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
forget it.that will not work because everything in the distributor will be 180 out.

Before you remove the old one set you engine to 20deg advance ,note the position of the rotor and note the direction the rotor moves as you remove the distibutor.If you can pull it slowly pull the dist. up a little at a time and attempt to ,gently,turn the rotor,continue pulling it out until the rotor turns free.note the position so when you reinstall you can start there .of course as you install it,the rotor will move the opposite way.
If FI Tech tells you to set the base timing at a certain crank position set the timing there before you remove the dist. you will still have to fine tune it but you will be close. Make sure you verify TDC by noting the rotor is pointing to the no.1 plug wire as well as 20-(30) deg on the damper .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.