I started this 408w build March 2006 as a simple 351w based replacement for the 351w I already had in my 66. The 408w was to be a low compression 15lbs boost build.
Last April I was at the Columbus Ford Swap Meet (hanging out with fellow VMF'ers) and came across a pair of 2v open chamber 351c heads. They were recently used on a 351c but before that had been on someones clevor. It had already bee machined for a clevor mod, the coolant holes that had freeze plugs in them had holes drilled in them to go back to 351c cooling. The holes drilled on the intake side were plugged with a thick glob of RTV. It hat nice Stainless valves, rocker studs, and a high port exhaust plate already installed.
Here's a pic, next to a windsor head for comparisson:
At the same booth I picked up 351c swap headers for a 65/66 Mustang, used $200. Nearby at another booth was a new B&A Track Boss intake, that cost about double a new 302 intake.
Keeping with the low compression theme, the 2v open heads had a 76.2 cc combustion chamber giving me about 8.8:1 compression.
I liked the hydraulic roller cam in the previous 351w I built. And, since I paid almost $400 for those darm roller comversion lifters I figured I'd keep using them. I selected a roller cam and found that with the new 1.73 rocker arm ratio I would have a piston to valve clearance issue.
I seached every where and all I could find was the Isky piston notcher.
I notched my pistons in the 351w when I went with 2.02 intake valves. Back then I used a 2.08 valve I modified to grind into aluminum. But now I'm using 2.19 valves and had to cut a nice chunk out.
piston with new eye brow
I blew up my 351w in the car around Aug 2006 at the track. So, it ended up being my mock up block. I swapped out the 66 for the early 65 style motor mounts. Using these I lowered the engine 1" and back 1/2". This would come in handy when installing the headers. I test fit the heads on the block before the mounts swap and found all the pipes would run through the center link and/or engine crossmember. After lowering I still had to modify 5 of the 8 tubes.
The headers were designed for a 351c not a W. The heads sit and different angles between the two different blocks so the exhaust hangs differently. Especially noticable when I installed the #4 and #8 tubes which crossover to opposite collectors. They didn't line up with the rest of the header tubes. I had to add about 2" extension to the #4 and #8. The rest was "monster garage" massage, cut, paste, etc. I will need to make a new engine crossmember to clear the headers and oil pan which hit after the engine move. Here's a mock up shot of the headers
Changing the spark plugs would have been a pain. I shaved the shock towers back 3".
I'm still not done but want to be done by April so I can drive it again.
During the build I was searching for a tranny that could handle the 408 and replace the T5. Save this for another mod post.