408 Clevor - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Mod and Custom Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-10-2007, 10:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

I started this 408w build March 2006 as a simple 351w based replacement for the 351w I already had in my 66. The 408w was to be a low compression 15lbs boost build.

Last April I was at the Columbus Ford Swap Meet (hanging out with fellow VMF'ers) and came across a pair of 2v open chamber 351c heads. They were recently used on a 351c but before that had been on someones clevor. It had already bee machined for a clevor mod, the coolant holes that had freeze plugs in them had holes drilled in them to go back to 351c cooling. The holes drilled on the intake side were plugged with a thick glob of RTV. It hat nice Stainless valves, rocker studs, and a high port exhaust plate already installed.
Here's a pic, next to a windsor head for comparisson:

At the same booth I picked up 351c swap headers for a 65/66 Mustang, used $200. Nearby at another booth was a new B&A Track Boss intake, that cost about double a new 302 intake.

Keeping with the low compression theme, the 2v open heads had a 76.2 cc combustion chamber giving me about 8.8:1 compression.

I liked the hydraulic roller cam in the previous 351w I built. And, since I paid almost $400 for those darm roller comversion lifters I figured I'd keep using them. I selected a roller cam and found that with the new 1.73 rocker arm ratio I would have a piston to valve clearance issue.

I seached every where and all I could find was the Isky piston notcher.

I notched my pistons in the 351w when I went with 2.02 intake valves. Back then I used a 2.08 valve I modified to grind into aluminum. But now I'm using 2.19 valves and had to cut a nice chunk out.

piston with new eye brow

I blew up my 351w in the car around Aug 2006 at the track. So, it ended up being my mock up block. I swapped out the 66 for the early 65 style motor mounts. Using these I lowered the engine 1" and back 1/2". This would come in handy when installing the headers. I test fit the heads on the block before the mounts swap and found all the pipes would run through the center link and/or engine crossmember. After lowering I still had to modify 5 of the 8 tubes.
The headers were designed for a 351c not a W. The heads sit and different angles between the two different blocks so the exhaust hangs differently. Especially noticable when I installed the #4 and #8 tubes which crossover to opposite collectors. They didn't line up with the rest of the header tubes. I had to add about 2" extension to the #4 and #8. The rest was "monster garage" massage, cut, paste, etc. I will need to make a new engine crossmember to clear the headers and oil pan which hit after the engine move. Here's a mock up shot of the headers

Changing the spark plugs would have been a pain. I shaved the shock towers back 3".

I'm still not done but want to be done by April so I can drive it again.

During the build I was searching for a tranny that could handle the 408 and replace the T5. Save this for another mod post.
latamud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2007, 11:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Myopic

Those tubular auto headers suck. They force the deletion of the cross member even on standard 351c install in the 65/6 chassis

$499 will get you a new set of Ford Power train headers that fit (at least they fit the 351c with 351c heads on it in my 65).

Other than that...I like the thought of a clevor with boost
1968 Fastback 351w T5 - Brute
1996 Dodge Viper GTS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LUK2D0GjdY
dodgestang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2007, 12:00 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgestang
Those tubular auto headers suck. They force the deletion of the cross member even on standard 351c install in the 65/6 chassis

$499 will get you a new set of Ford Power train headers that fit (at least they fit the 351c with 351c heads on it in my 65).

Other than that...I like the thought of a clevor with boost

Thanks for the info Nick. I didn't know they forced a crossmember delete in with the 351c. I did a test fit before moving the engine back and they fit with the xmember except after the tubes' 90 degree bend they ran into it. That was the reason for the 1" lowering, to clear it. It was moving the engine 1/2 back that put everything right smack in the middle of the xmember. The oil pan was hitting it too. I have another set of 351c conversion headers for 65/66 Mustang that didn't have the crossover pipes. they are a 6 piece header set, where the #3 and #4 are pre welded to the collector as well as the #7 and #8. I picked these up for around $200 used as well. I wasn't sure which would fit better, but tried both and found the Tubular Auto to maneuver better.
I was in the garage when John was test fitting his new Ford Powertrain headers onto his Cleveland a few years ago. I remember them being a one piece header and for sure knew they wouldn't fit with my application, believe me, I thought about it. There is no way to slide anything from the rear of the engine towards the front to mate the #1 primary to the #1 exhaust port on the head. The shock tower/motor mount gets in the way.
If I could go back I would have just spent the money on a 408 Cleveland like yours. The clevor was an after-thought during the build. Sort of a BOSS 302 dream build.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Myopic

Here's what the tubular looked like on mine when I got it. No x-member

With all the moving around you've done I'm surprised you can get anything to fit at all that isn't 100% custom. Might be a fine little drag ride with the backward motion on the engine and the right suspension

1996 Dodge Viper GTS

Old 01-11-2007, 04:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have another reason for moving the engine back, other than better weight distribution. When I mocked up my supercharger, the SC crank pulley lands right in the path of my electric fan. I didn't gain much but every little bit helps. Also, the water pump snout was a little less than 1/4" away from the fan motor. It didn't help for removing my accessory belt.

here's what I did to the oil pan to gain more clearance for a Xmember.

I cut a big letter H in the bottom of the pan, the center of the H is the rear corner of the sump. bent the pan inward a little, folded the sides in, welded the crap out of it. It doesn't leak. I did find out that the rear of the sump is where the pick up "picks up" from, the pan so obviously hits the pick up. I'll have to modify that too. I don't mind, this fabbing is fun.

Funny, I was typing this thinking about a Falcon xmember I picked up on ebay and the UPS guy knocked.

It mounts via the motor mount bolts rather the threaded nut-cert in the frame rail. Another Idea I picked up from John from way back. I might have to "stretch it" to get it to fit.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Myopic

Sometimes I think I do alot of good work on my car....and then guys like you and john start posting up projects :p

1996 Dodge Viper GTS

Old 01-11-2007, 09:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgestang
Sometimes I think I do alot of good work on my car....and then guys like you and john start posting up projects :p
I think that I'm such a rookie at this stuff that I don't know any better to not try these projects.

This is sitting on my back porch, (the back burner)

Old 01-14-2007, 03:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

I did have to modify the oil pump pick up. I moved it forward about 4".
Old 03-10-2007, 08:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

The weather was nice today, in the 60's. Two friends came over and managed our time well. Did a 1 3/4 shelby drop, relocated the upper ball joint, screw in lower ball joints, spherical bearings, and S&T strut rods. We welded in covers where I shaved the shock towers back. I removed the front seats an carpet, cut the trans hump out. We did a few other little things prepping to drop the engine and tranny in. A few nuts and bolts and some metal fabbing and I'll be able to do it.

Hot Rod Power Tour!

Old 03-11-2007, 01:11 AM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to scripts Send a message via Yahoo to scripts

I'm very interested to see how much custom work your going to have to do to the tranns tunner metal to get the T56 in. That is going to be a hot combo.

'65 A Code | 16x8 TTII's | Semi-Mild 302 | Built C4
'72 Bronco, Project daily Driver, Here we go again...
'95 F-250 4x4 | Super Cab | 7.3 PSD | Finally, something reliable...
scripts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2007, 10:02 PM   #11 (permalink)

The tranny is still floating, I bolted up most of a drive shaft safety loop but have it inside the car, but half a loop under the tranny keeping the tranny supported. Making progress, I'l take better pics in the daylight.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:58 PM   #12 (permalink)

That's one seriously ugly gear shift. Way too big to be comfortable in your hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latamud

http://www.photographiti.com/cars/misc/sigpic09.jpg
fastlane_65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2007, 04:27 PM   #13 (permalink)

Looking good!!....I hope to be doing the powertour this yr as well...(the second half)

1969 FB - project
1964.5 coupe - project
1997 GT - DD
1979 F250 - truck duties
1975 F250 Dump - project
somethingclever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2007, 07:13 PM   #14 (permalink)

Well John, if you want we oughta meet up and caravan.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:02 AM   #15 (permalink)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.