AODE/4R70W - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Mod and Custom Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-21-2007, 12:03 AM   #1 (permalink)

I lost 2nd gear in my C4 the other day and have been thinking about replacing it with an AOD. The problem I have been having is finding a decent AOD for a reasonable price. One salvage yard wanted $550 for a >100K mile AOD and built ones seem to be around $800. I am now leaning toward a 4r70w since they are more plentiful and less expensive (I found a low mileage one for $225 locally). So for about the same cost, I can get the stronger 4r70w and computer. Has anyone done this swap? Any gotcha's or issues to be aware of? One question I had is how the shift linkage will match up. Any help would be appreciated.
tbutt130 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2007, 07:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
Supporting Member
White Elephant Guy

Send a message via AIM to obsidianspider Send a message via Yahoo to obsidianspider Send a message via Skype™ to obsidianspider

IIRC Hoosierbuddy put one in his convertible with a Baumann Computer.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:23 AM   #3 (permalink)

You want to make sure the 4R70W/AODE is for a small block motor. Most of them bolt to 4.6L or 3.8L motors (different bolt pattern). Your biggest issue will probably be the computer, since it also runs the engine (fuel injectors, ignition, etc.). I don't know if you could get it to do 'just transmission' on a carburated engine even with serious retuning.

You might have to go with an aftermarket computer, like the Baumann system in the above post. It is $425 plus $150 for the wiring harness. When you add that to the $225, it puts you into the built AOD range, but the AODE is probably a better transmission.

Baumann has a lot of good information on their site, including a tech section. www.baumannengineering.com
Old 06-22-2007, 07:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
You want to make sure the 4R70W/AODE is for a small block motor. Most of them bolt to 4.6L or 3.8L motors (different bolt pattern).
Actually a 3.8 or 4.2 V6 trans will bolt right up to a small block. These 90* V6s have the exact same block bolt pattern as the 289/302/351 blocks, but the 4.6 V8 IS different and will not fit. The V6 version of the 4r70w is also much stronger than a V8 AOD. The only difference between a V6 and V8 4R trans is the V8 has 1 or 2 more clutches.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

I used a Baumann in my hot rod for the 4R70W and it a great system. It's not cheap, but it's half the cost of any of the other aftermaket controllers. You really don't need the extra wiring harness though if you get the transmission harness from a donor car.
Arrowhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2007, 12:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Just some guy

I don't know where you are in AR, but for the kind of money you're talking about would a whole bunch of gas towards driving up to Forest City and picking up a $100 AOD from "Speedway Auto Parts".
You can find them and more at Car-Part.com
'89 and up AOD's are favored because they are upgraded from the earlier ones. I suggest looking up a "1989 Thunderbird" transmission. One for a supercharged car is widely considered the best stock AOD you can get. Non-supercharged ones are good too though. Many AOD's will work just as well, I just gave Tbird as an example.
Old 06-23-2007, 02:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yes. I've done it and I am extremely happy with the results. The AOD-E 4R70W includes every beef-up item ever included in and AOD AND has the advantage of a lower gearset for more off the line grunt. The transmission is stronger than most stock AOD's, simpler mechanically, and will out perform an AOD off the line (with the same rear gear). The computer might be viewed as a drawback to some...but I think it's a major plus, as with just a few clicks from a connected laptop, you can reset shift points, lock up points, check the transmission fluid temperature, etc. etc. etc. The baumann computer lets you adjust all these parameters easily. I've had mine in for 4-5 years with no problems. My tranny was from a low milage 1998 V6 Mustang. The only things I did to it were install a baumann recal pro shift kit, and add a transmission cooler.

You can read about the installation here:

http://www.blueriver.net/~finite/project_od.htm

If you have any questions, let me know.

Phil

"Two barks means faster!" Enzo
HoosierBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2007, 04:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

Phil,
I have read about your installation numerous times trying to decide if I want to attempt this. Did you try to use the stock linkage at all? It looks like you used your stock speedometer cable, does the TCS not get an input from the old sensor that you removed? Ron Morris performance says their crossmember will work with the 4r70w so I was going to use that for simplicity. My understanding is that a plain AOD yoke will work with my current driveshaft, will that yoke fit on the 4r70w? I really want to use a 4r70w, but am a little bit worried about the complexity of the swap. Your description is the only one I have seen using this trans.
Thanks,
Kevin
tbutt130 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2007, 07:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin T
Did you try to use the stock linkage at all?
No. I've heard it's possible to use an AOD style linkage...but the cable makes for a much easier conversion IMHO.

Quote:
It looks like you used your stock speedometer cable, does the TCS not get an input from the old sensor that you removed?
You use the stock speedometer cable plugged into the 4R70's sensor.

Quote:
Ron Morris performance says their crossmember will work with the 4r70w so I was going to use that for simplicity.
Before I did mine, I called RMP and spoke to Ron Morris personally. He told me his crossmember would not work. Either he's changed his mind or he's changed his crossmember. I don't know.

Quote:
My understanding is that a plain AOD yoke will work with my current driveshaft, will that yoke fit on the 4r70w?
I don't know. When I got my transmission, the guy that pulled it had also gotten the driveshaft, so that's what I used.

Phil

"Two barks means faster!" Enzo
HoosierBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2007, 06:40 PM   #10 (permalink)

will an aod from the tbird 3.8 v6 work behind a 302?
94 mazda b4000 4x4
99 olds
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data/njtinman/581.JPG
njtinman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2007, 11:45 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by njtinman
will an aod from the tbird 3.8 v6 work behind a 302?
Yep
Old 06-26-2007, 11:47 PM   #12 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Just some guy

Yes. The bellhousing patterns are the same. The 3.8 version has like one less "direct clutch" plate or so. Behind a reasonably stock 289/302 this isn't a problem. But if the AOD is to be rebuilt you'd want to ask that it be upgraded to "V8" spec. They should charge very little for doing so, some shops even do so as a matter of course.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.