Restomodding 71-73 Mustangs - Page 4 - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Mod and Custom Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:32 PM   #46 (permalink)

My father and I decided we are going to turbocharge the Cleveland that we had built for it since the original engine/trans is long gone. I'm looking at fabricating a blow-thru carb setup to mount a 70mm charger. Since we already had the engine built for N/A we're going to have to change a few things, (head studs, pistons, single plane intake). We are hoping for around 475-500hp to the rear wheels but we will see. I've built several turbo kits for 7.3L Powerstroke Diesel's but this will be my first gas engine.

Just need to get my garage finished, hopefully within the next month.
'72 Mustang Mach1, light-pewter metallic w/black stripes, Q-Code 351C-4V, 4-speed toploader, AC, PS, PDB, Deluxe Interior, 3:50 traction-lok rear, (restoration 40% complete)

'70 Mustang Mach1 (SOLD)
mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2009, 09:05 PM   #47 (permalink)

How about this one?

White 1973 (351C stroked to 408, 4V, FMX) convertible with blue deluxe interior AC and power windows.

Irwin Pa (MCA # 52193)
70stang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2009, 09:47 AM   #48 (permalink)

Smile 71-73 Mustang resto mod

I am with you with the choices for suspension upgrades, after contemplating for awhile and deciding what type of driving I was going to do and also cost I went with a Global West suspension set up, roller perches and a grab a track spring set up. I only istalled the Global west kit and working my way bak since I am restoring it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Global West Suspension 3.jpg (36.5 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg Global West Suspension 4.jpg (39.2 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg 1973 Mach 1 002.jpg (40.1 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg 1973 Mach 1 004.jpg (39.1 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 1973 Mach 1 006.jpg (33.2 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg 1973 Mach 1 007.jpg (42.5 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg 1973 Mach 1 052.jpg (40.1 KB, 55 views)
rafaelpadro24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2009, 08:28 AM   #49 (permalink)

RP24,

Setup looks good. I think I'm going with a complete coilover setup for the front and fabricating something for the back (4-link most likely). I havn't decided on what manufacturer yet, how do you like the GW upgrades so far?

I just want to show all the other guys these cars can handle to even at there weight and size.

John
'72 Mustang Mach1, light-pewter metallic w/black stripes, Q-Code 351C-4V, 4-speed toploader, AC, PS, PDB, Deluxe Interior, 3:50 traction-lok rear, (restoration 40% complete)

'70 Mustang Mach1 (SOLD)
Old 12-02-2009, 10:35 PM   #50 (permalink)

Glad to see so many mods being done.....I've been looking at coil overs for mine....but am going to install a T-5 before that.....as for the rear sitting lower I have air shocks installed and that pretty much elimates any droopy drawers

73 Convertible
08 Black Bullitt
70 Mach One (sold in a fit of stupidity)
83 GT (sold)
89 5.0 coupe(sold)

A man's home is his castle, in a manor of speaking.
Whitesoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2009, 07:00 PM   #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach1 View Post
My father and I decided we are going to turbocharge the Cleveland that we had built for it since the original engine/trans is long gone. I'm looking at fabricating a blow-thru carb setup to mount a 70mm charger. Since we already had the engine built for N/A we're going to have to change a few things, (head studs, pistons, single plane intake). We are hoping for around 475-500hp to the rear wheels but we will see. I've built several turbo kits for 7.3L Powerstroke Diesel's but this will be my first gas engine.

Just need to get my garage finished, hopefully within the next month.
You're going to have to rebuild it as a low compression 9.0:1 or less to safely run a
turbo or SC. Forged pistons too.

Back to the thread: Only mods on mine are c6 to TKO-500 conversion and an Edel 750 carb.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:25 PM   #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971mach1 View Post
You're going to have to rebuild it as a low compression 9.0:1 or less to safely run a
turbo or SC. Forged pistons too.

Back to the thread: Only mods on mine are c6 to TKO-500 conversion and an Edel 750 carb.
Fully aware, just as I stated in my post. We are planning on 8-8.5:1 compression ratio.

John

'70 Mustang Mach1 (SOLD)

Last edited by mach1; 12-05-2009 at 09:06 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 06:48 PM   #53 (permalink)

Anyone members out there have pics of there T-5/TKO-500/T-56 trans swap? My other question is, what new parts have to be purchased and what vintage has to be used to make this swap? Any help would be appreciated.

John

'70 Mustang Mach1 (SOLD)
Old 01-29-2010, 01:54 PM   #54 (permalink)

@rp24 , nice setup, looks good!!

i have lost this site for a while, been busy with other stuff, but now im back on track with the Mustang.

its current state

a new roof

the original looked like this

so the old one came off and a roof from a donorcar went on..

this roof came from a grande that was wrecked, the car litteraly layed on top of its roof..

but its nice to have a buddy who is a bodyman, he took out all the dents and placed the roof!
BenD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2010, 05:35 PM   #55 (permalink)

Default Great Thread, keep it going.

Great thread guys! Just joined. I've been bangin on a 72 convertible for more the five years. I tell the wife it keeps me out trouble. I also have a 66 factory GT Fastback that need a lot of TLC.

The 72 came with a 351C 2v & FMX trans (had 73 Grande in High School). Like 70Stang, I'm going to stroke it to a 408, with a Speep-O-Motiv kit. I'm going to back it up with a AOD. It's a full rotisserie resto so I'm ditching the Ginger Brown and other two layers of paint on top of that and going with Red with the black graphics. But in the resto'mod spirit I'm considering alternative graphics patterns. Maybe a mix of the NACA hood scheme with and over the fender stripe and label, like the Boss 302. Hey, maybe a Boss 408! But that might be going a little fare on the RestoMod route.

Most of the decisions are made on the drive train, but I could use some input on the numerous options out there for brakes, suspension, diffs, etc. The motor will by pushing about 450hp & ft/lbs.

OH, we're DEFINITELY going to have to stiffen her up a bit, so thought on that would be welcomed too.

Any link to other 71-73 info/sites would be much appreciated.

And 70Stang, your ride looks great!!
austincobra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2010, 01:41 AM   #56 (permalink)

I put a t5 in my mach1, behind a stroked healthy cleveland. Im on my second t5 now. Way to much motor for the trans. Anyway, I DO PLAN on taking some pictures. I will post whenever I do.
73 Mach 1 408C 4V Boss 351 Heads, Roller rockers, T5, 9" Posi 4:10 diff, Full MSD.
http://img452.imageshack.us/img452/6817/dsc0100lu9.jpg
myth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2010, 08:29 PM   #57 (permalink)

Myth,

What yellow is on the car in your sig. It looks different than med bright yellow.

Jeff
Old 02-01-2010, 11:09 PM   #58 (permalink)

2004 Cobra Screaming Yellow.
73 Mach 1 408C 4V Boss 351 Heads, Roller rockers, T5, 9" Posi 4:10 diff, Full MSD.
http://img452.imageshack.us/img452/6817/dsc0100lu9.jpg
myth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2010, 02:19 AM   #59 (permalink)

Probably not quite 'restomod', maybe more 'rustomod'....but at least the rear sits better.
With a little lift due to a shortened shackle kit (sounds weird to shorten a shackle kit, but they were just way too long even on the 'shortest' hole) and pair of 4 1/2 leaf springs. Rubber front eye bushing (to reduce stress on the front leaf mount) and polyurethane top and bottom at the shackle. It has KYB's and could use a panhard bar to keep the axle centered. Front is 620# 1" lowering springs and KYB's, mostly polyurethane or Midolyne (ick! not happy with that stuff). Strut rod to frame bushings are MOOG rubber bushings due to stress failure of one strut rod...that was not fun.

Not very pretty, not very sophisticated, but it handles far better than it probably should.

Never could figure out why no one wanted to park next to it at the show....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sunset4.JPG (85.0 KB, 85 views)
opelbits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2010, 11:15 AM   #60 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by opelbits View Post
Probably not quite 'restomod', maybe more 'rustomod'....but at least the rear sits better.
With a little lift due to a shortened shackle kit (sounds weird to shorten a shackle kit, but they were just way too long even on the 'shortest' hole) and pair of 4 1/2 leaf springs. Rubber front eye bushing (to reduce stress on the front leaf mount) and polyurethane top and bottom at the shackle. It has KYB's and could use a panhard bar to keep the axle centered. Front is 620# 1" lowering springs and KYB's, mostly polyurethane or Midolyne (ick! not happy with that stuff). Strut rod to frame bushings are MOOG rubber bushings due to stress failure of one strut rod...that was not fun.

Not very pretty, not very sophisticated, but it handles far better than it probably should.

Never could figure out why no one wanted to park next to it at the show....
Hey, if you have fun driving it that is all that matters. Besides, primer mean "Project in the Works".

'70 Mustang Mach1 (SOLD)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.