69 Mach I restoration build log - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Mod and Custom Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:17 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 69 Mach I restoration build log

Thought I'd start a build log for my personal 1969 Mach I. Picked the car up about a year ago off of E-bay. She was a rolling (kinda) chassis, basically stripped to the unibody with boxes of parts and the suspension loosely hung in place and no steering system installed. This made loading it a lot of fun. Don't know the history as the guy I bought it from simply bought it to resell, but doesn't seem as though it's been on the road for many years. I think it has passed a couple of hands in the current condition. Unfortunately she was undercoated, but aside from that the chassis appeared very straight and clean.

Step one was inventorying all the parts, getting organized and giving it a bath. Spent pretty much all of Fri 26th doing these tasks.

Saturday I started on the needed chassis repair work... there was a staggered shock set up installed that I wanted to eliminate...

...unfortunately upon closer inspection, the LF shock tower was leaning inward by about 1/2". This turned out to be a bit more of a drag than usual as my Porta-Power took a crap on me. So, needed to improvise with the hydraulic jack from the press. There were cracks and cheesy acetylene braze repairs also discovered that all needed to be ground off and re-done.

With the straightening work done, next was installing the frame connectors....

On Sunday I started assessing the fenders. Found a corner of bondo repair on the RF at the back of the wheel opening. Ground out the filler,cut out the sick, fabricated a piece, stitched it in, then ground it smooth. Skim coat of filler will follow at later time.

Toward the end of the day got a bunch of other pieces parts degreased, sand blasted and in primer.

My 69 Mach build log

VintageVenom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2008, 12:39 AM   #2 (permalink)

You work quick! Want to come practice putting a '69 together? With you put to work I could be driving by February...

Looks like a fun project you have there.

1996 Mustang Cobra Convertible (Procharged/423 RWHP)
1969 Fastback, 351C, TKO 600, T-lock, Shaker, slats, fold down, yadda yadda, etc.
1972 Mach 1, 351C, FMX
1931 Model A Station Wagon 150B

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...46%20small.JPG

Here are my cars:
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...gEmporium.html
69 Rustang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2008, 12:48 AM   #3 (permalink)

wow That is very detailed, i am very interested to see how it unfolds in the comming months. Keep up the good work!
lethal289 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2008, 11:23 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks guys.
Appreciate the offer Dave.... but think I've got my hands full already.... Looks like we have similar projects going....

OK, so Yesterday got the tid bits painted....

Then started hanging the doors. The car came with a new set of "offshore" doors which I am using. The fitment hasn't been too bad. The passenger side went on with minimal hammering needed on a couple of body lines.

The driver's side however has taken me about 5 hours to dial in. Ultimately got it as close as I could and decided it was as good as it was gonna get. This left an unacceptable gap at the front lower corner. Decided to weld build the material and grind it to shape to close up the gap.

Ground smooth and ready for skim coat. In the photo it looks uneven, but it's just the color difference in the metals.

Next on the list are the hood and deck lid.....

My 69 Mach build log

Old 12-30-2008, 03:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

At this rate, you'll be done before me!

1996 Mustang Cobra Convertible (Procharged/423 RWHP)
1969 Fastback, 351C, TKO 600, T-lock, Shaker, slats, fold down, yadda yadda, etc.
1972 Mach 1, 351C, FMX
1931 Model A Station Wagon 150B

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...46%20small.JPG

Here are my cars:
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...gEmporium.html
69 Rustang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2008, 07:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

Rob that really looks good, can't wait for the progress pics as this project moves along.
Grabber70Mach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2008, 10:02 AM   #7 (permalink)

Default 69 Mach I restoration build log

Grabber...I see you're rolling again. Excellent. Looking good man.

Spent a few more hours on it yesterday, until the power went out from an ice storm.... I was almost glad it happened, as I absolutely despise prepping the insides of the hood and deck lid...yuck...so was glad to stop. The shop is a total paint dust covered mess, but the bulk of the nastiness is behind me. Well that is so long as I don't need to do the same to the chassis. I should know that today.

Looks like it used to be a home for critters....

Tops sides done, will attack the back sides today....

Forgot to mention, I took a page from Shelby's book and boxed in the lower control arms. Will be doing a complete Poly bushing install in coming days.

My 69 Mach build log

Old 01-01-2009, 10:20 AM   #8 (permalink)

Default Re: 69 Mach I restoration build log

Wed Dec 31st progress:
Decided to hit Home Depot to find some attachments that would help with my dreaded job of prepping the inside surfaces of the lids. Found these two...the first wire gizmo made short work of removing the OE paint from the deck lid, however seemed to have little affect on the aftermarket enamel paint of the hood. The spongy looking one really isn't spongy. I thought it was softer when I bought it, thinking it would conform to surfaces. It removes anything in it's path, but also scores the metal pretty badly, so think it should only be used on rusty surfaces. I then sprayed rust kill inside the framing to address the surface rust I couldn't get to.

Determined the unibody didn't need to go to metal, as the paint and body were in excellent condition. Looks like a brand new 10yr old job that just never got finished. The fenders were a different story. Hard to know what went on here...not sure if these were the orig fenders or not. Maybe the guy spent his time on the unibody with plans to then do the bolt on pieces later... Anyway, they were sanded down to metal. Found a couple areas of sick that will have to be cut out. With the holiday should have the next couple days free to work on it....

My 69 Mach build log

Old 01-02-2009, 09:21 AM   #9 (permalink)

Jan 1 progress:
Prepped the rear 1/4 extensions...

Cut out the sick in the LF fender...

Cut a piece to fit exactly into the opening and stitch welded it in...

Ground smooooooth.....

Prepped the front valence. There were mounting holes for a spoiler which I welded up, as I didn't wan't to risk the new one coincidentally having the exact same mounting holes/location. Unfortunately considering throwing in the towel on the rear valence, as I found a lot of filler in it. There had been accident damage that was covered. Turned out the metal is stretched badly, and I'm not having the best luck getting it to go straight again. Will give it a little more effort before deciding to go with a replacement piece.

Applied first skim coat of filler to all....

Planning to spend a good part of today in the shop...with luck will be spraying primer today or tomorrow.

My 69 Mach build log

Old 01-02-2009, 09:38 AM   #10 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Beach Bum

Looking good, keep the pics comming it keeps me motivated to keep working on mine.
2000 Ranger Extd Cab 4X4 (My DD) w/01 lights & grille.
2008 Escape (Wifes DD)
MCA#-04549. MCA member for 35 years.
"The times I've been mistaken, its impossible to say". - The Moody Blues.
My 69 Coupe build album
http://s1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff499/NJMike69/

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/...h_100_0339.jpg
mike65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2009, 06:05 AM   #11 (permalink)

Wow you work insanely fast, are you a professional body man cause the work is looking pretty amazing.
302 W, AFR 165's, Offenhauser Dual Port Intake, Holley 650 Spreadbore, Hooker Long tube Headers, Flowmaster 2 1/2" dual exhaust. T5 trans, 8" rear 3.55 lsd. Grabatrack suspension, Granada disk brakes.

http://photos-h.ak.facebook.com/phot...06351_3829.jpg
Menorah 5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2009, 03:57 PM   #12 (permalink)

just got out of the garage and i am doing the exact same thing .i worked on hanging the doors also today and had trouble with the driver side but a little higer up not sure if the fender is out of wack .any advice

keep those photos coming it give me hope on my project
joe747 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2009, 09:36 PM   #13 (permalink)

Mike65, funny...we car guys seem to feed off one another. Your comments keep me motivated, as my progress keep you..... It's a win win..

Menorah5, Nope...just been at it for a few years... thanks for the compliment.

Joe747, Cool. yep...it can be frustrating. Start a build log, so we can see it. If you have pics up, then I'd be happy to chime in w/ some IMHOs.

Thanks for the motivation guys.....

OK...so finishing up the body work took a day longer than I had hoped, but got her in prime at about 3pm today. Never fails, once you put the long board to it... you always find more that needs attention. Found a few dents I didn't realize were there. Looked like somebody had tap danced on the hood.

Body prepped wiped down and ready....

Hood, finally done. Note how many areas needed a little love.

Panels in prime. (note: I did win the battle with the rear valence)

Body:

That'll be it until next weekend. Then....let the block sanding begin. I'll take that any day over stripping the paint. This is the stage when I actually get in shape again. It's the closest thing to a work-out that I get.

My 69 Mach build log

Old 01-04-2009, 09:41 PM   #14 (permalink)

would like to show some pics of my project ,but not sure how to down load the pics
joe747 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2009, 10:13 PM   #15 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to getlive65 Send a message via MSN to getlive65 Send a message via Yahoo to getlive65

you do move at an amazing rate. my eyes are glued!

-65 A code FB, tired 7R02K engine, air gap/1405, tcp uca,maier stuff, T5+ 3:89=no 1st gear, 9inch, cf hood, jdm galore, *々!
-bone stock M code 69 Mach 1
-65 coupe w/alllllllll the goodies^^
[IMG]http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/****entenemusu/IMG_1955-1.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/****entenemusu/IMG_2114-2-1.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/****entenemusu/DSCN0436-2-1.jpg[/IMG]
getlive65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.