E7 Heads - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Mod and Custom Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default E7 Heads

I'm no motor expert so I'll give as many details as I can. If something don't sound right, call me on it. Here goes...

I recently got a real good deal a rebuilt '65 289 with Keith Black (flat top) pistons, .030 over, rebuilt stock heads, a bigger Summit Cam SUM-3602 (Camshaft, Hydraulic Flat Tappet, Advertised Duration 292/ 302, Lift .520/ .544), Torker II Intake, and a Carter 600cmf carb. My understanding is the guy who sold it built if for a Ranchero and junked it because it was a complete rust bucket. So the motor only has about 3000 miles on it. I have the heads/intake off of it now.

I know cam is too big for the stock heads. Still has pressed studs. I don't like the rpm range of the cam anyways. So I've been looking for some gt40 heads and possibly a XE262 or XE268 Comp cam with a performer intake. Not easily finding the gt40 heads but I've come across some E7 heads of of a '93 mustang for $200 that have new springs and valves with less than 3000 miles on them.

Would the E7 heads be worth my time or should I keep patient in my search. Or are they even compatible? I don't have the money currently to go buy a new set of aftermarket heads and I'm getting impatient cause I would like to drive the car this spring.

Thanks all for your time!

67 Coupe, Stock 1971 302 but will be changing to a 289 that I'm "makin' some changes to". T5. Granada spindles.
nzabka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2009, 12:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

The E7s are a step down from the GT40s, but will bolt to your block without a problem. They are better than your '65 289 heads, though.

You should be able to find some used Cobra/GT40 cast iron heads on eBay. The big warning is, cast iron heads are heavy (as you already know) and may cost $60-ish EACH to ship.

$200 may be a little high for a set of E7s, but they are refreshed, so that may be worth the extra money. It wouldn't be a bad deal (in my opinion), if they were local and you didn't have to pay shipping. If you have to pay shipping, then I don't feel they are worth it.

Just my opinions,
M/C

Check out Popular Hot Rodding, Aug 2009, Pg 35, upper right corner!

My budget makes a shoe-string budget look like Warren Buffett's personal checking account.

1969 Mustang Fastback (work in progress)
(Pics Gallery) (Video)
1995 Mustang GT Convertible (daily driver)
1994 Mustang GT Coupe (donor car)
MustangChuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2009, 12:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Oh, yeah, one more question. With the stock heads, I'm tempted to just buy a cam that is compatible just to get it put together. About how much cam lift can I apply to these stock heads?

Again, Thank You!

Nick

67 Coupe, Stock 1971 302 but will be changing to a 289 that I'm "makin' some changes to". T5. Granada spindles.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default E7 Heads

yes, they are local...

What are they worth. I was thinking of offering $160 and walking if he declines...

Nick

Old 02-05-2009, 01:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default Re: E7 Heads

Going with the E7 heads will really drop your compression ratio. The chamber size is between 60.6-63.6cc. If you currently have 289 heads, they are most likely 54cc. The head flow between the two heads is so close that you would most likely lose power due to the compression loss. Here is a chart of Ford head flow:

http://www.carbdford.com/tech/flowdata.htm

I wouldn't bother with the E7 heads and look for at least a set of GT-40s or better yet, save a bit more for a better set. I find deals all the time on used heads here. Good luck.

http://forums.corral.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=269
Old 02-05-2009, 03:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

What would be the downside with the stock heads to just remove the pressed studs and replace with tapped studs?

That'd allow me to install the cam I want (XE262) with the option of upgrading my heads later, right? Plus it would fit in my current budget.

Sorry I'm asking so many questions but I'm learning as I go here. Everyone I know says I should just slap it together with what I currently have but I wanna have a strong driver with an impressive lope, not a street/strip car.

Nick

Old 02-05-2009, 04:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabka
What would be the downside with the stock heads to just remove the pressed studs and replace with tapped studs?
No downside. You will have to have your current heads machined for screw in studs. You will also have to buy new rocker arms, studs, guideplates, and hardened pushrods. There is also a possibility that the valve springs required for that cam require the spring seat to be cut larger. That would be another machine shop cost. You will need to investigate that or ask your machinist.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

cool... I'll do some investigating. Thanks Ryan!

Nick

Old 02-05-2009, 05:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

I don't know if i'd pay $160 for E7's..
JohnnyK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2009, 06:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

I saw a set of ported E7's recently for$150 with 2000 miles on them. E7's for the most part are tossed for a performance build.
JeffW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2009, 06:14 PM   #11 (permalink)

Also when you go with E7s you have to deal with the smog hole in the back of each head that you will have to plug.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:05 PM   #12 (permalink)

don't pay more than $50 for a good set of e7's, period. FOx mustang guys like me give them away for free all the time.

They're not performance heads, and I wouldn't run them on a fresh install to save my life. Gt40 or gt40p heads remain the best bang for the buck on a budget.

don't pay more than $250-300ish for gt40 heads.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:24 AM   #13 (permalink)

I agree the GT40 are a better choice for flow than your stock heads or the E7, however they will have the same compression issue as the E7. GT40 have a 64cc chamber, and I don't know if they can even be milled enough to get the chamber down to the stock 54cc 289 chamber size. Also keep in mind that any switch to a pedastal rocker style head (GT40 + all oem after '78) will mean getting new rockers and pushrods, so you need to figure that into the cost of the head swap. If your ultimate goal is to get a set of aluminum performance heads, just work with the heads you have until you can get the heads you really want, even if that means installing a milder cam. A mild hyd cam and new lifters is a bit cheaper than a head swap anyway, at least for a head worth swapping to.

If you really want a cheap head swap to work with a little more aggressive cam keep an eye out for a used set of World Windsor Jr. They have the smallest chamber I'm aware of in an inexpensive head. You might also look into a set of Patriot heads. MSRP of $895 for a new pair of alum heads, ready to run. They haven't been on the market long enough for used sets to be very common, but they are hard to beat for the money, and realistically only a few hundred more than the cost of any of the other options mentioned above.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:11 AM   #14 (permalink)

Your right, I just need to keep saving for what I want instead of buying what I don't want. Plus, there's a swap meet coming up here in Lincoln in a month, maybe I'll come across something there.

About the windsor jr.'s: I thought I read somewhere that they have less desirable plug angle like the gt40p heads. Is that true?

Old 02-07-2009, 02:46 AM   #15 (permalink)

The plug angle on the GT40P isn't really undesirable, it actually promotes a more efficient combustion but it does make header/manifold fit a problem, usually requiring headers made for that specific head to clear the plugs and avoid burnt wires, and those headers to fit the classic chassis are not the cheapest. AFAIK, the W Jr's do not have the same issue. They do have a more centrally located plug compared an oem head, but I believe using the Accel shorty plugs will solve any header issues that may occur.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.