13" Cobra brakes, Granada spindles, 17x9 wheels - Vintage Mustang Forums

4Likes

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

13" Cobra brakes, Granada spindles, 17x9 wheels

First off let me say, if you have the means to do this yourself then go for it otherwise it isn't worth it to pay someone to do the machine work. I did some bartering with a local guy who turned out to be a machinist and cut me a great deal. For the going hourly rate for this job he told me he would have charged me $700. I loaned him my Eastwood fender lip roller.

Originally I though I could use the hub the same way the MustangSteve kit works:
Link

The Granada rotor has a longer body that the vintage hubs so running the 13 rotor over the outside of the Granada hub would have required very long bolts for the caliper mount/anchor. This would have put dangerous force on the ends of these two bolts during braking. I even thought about using components of a Wilwood Mustang II/Pinto big brake kit that use a hub that would fit on a Granada spindle. That was way too expensive and not as fun as doing it myself.

Started with new Granada rotors, I wanted to make sure I was getting a pair of fairly equal thickness hubs coming from the same factory.

Marked for cutting

After cut

Raw hub

Hub Machined; center cut down and flange smoothed and leveled

Center bore of 13" rotor also machined to slip over the inner wheel bearing shaft

Slip fit

1.5" spacer

Here's how I bolted the spacer on, I started with a 1.5" adapter with press in studs. I pressed the studs out and am using longer Grade 8 studs, Torque the spacer to the hub/rotor using the recessed holes and the stud extends beyond the spacer allowing for the wheel to bolt to it.

Test fit 17x9

1" flare needed

Mock up of the brakes, the image is slanted, didn't level the camera

Bart
66 Coupe
408 Cleavor
Viper T56
Cobra IRS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 07:59 PM
Just some guy

Garage
Re: 13" Cobra brakes, Granada spindles, 17x9 wheels

Well, now I feel stupid. I've done the Granada/SN95 swap. But plan B was to use a pair of '72 drum spindles and bigger rotors. But I didn't get hubs with the spindles. Duh. I had what I needed all along, just didn't see it until your post. Thanks.
I was going to toss a pair of Granada rotors that have like 10 miles on them. I can cut them down myself on my lathe. The big rotors won't fit on my lathe, but I figure I can adapt a flycutter on the mill to trim the centers.
This particular project just moved up from "wait til I score some hubs" to....well, to the "as soon as I can get to it" procrastination/to-do list. And now I can get some use out of my Granada rotors that I paid good money for and instead toss the '72 drum spindles which cost me about nothing. Yay!
Sharp thinking. Thanks for the post!

.... it wouldn't be the first time reality took theory and conjecture out behind the woodshed and gave them a good thrashing.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 11:00 PM
Supporting Vendor

Ingenious! How long are your wheel studs?

I'm not much of a fan of spacers so I went and used one of my 13" rotors. These rotors sit further inboard .48" more than the Cobra rotor so no spacers are needed for the caliper to clear the backside of the spokes.

So far I've got them to work on the Mustang disk and Granada spindle.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun
Ingenious! How long are your wheel studs?

I'm not much of a fan of spacers so I went and used one of my 13" rotors. These rotors sit further inboard .48" more than the Cobra rotor so no spacers are needed for the caliper to clear the backside of the spokes.

So far I've got them to work on the Mustang disk and Granada spindle.

Shaun,

I still have to make something like what you have the caliper bracket "cage" bolted to. How much for just those adapters? That's my missing link. I had p'aroused the parking lots for what looked like 13" rotors that were deep enough to slip over the Granada hub and sit close enough to the spindle base but never found anything.
My studs are custom 4" long with longer thread length to accommodate the 1.5" spacer which is to accommodate the 17x9 wheels. The wheels have 6.12" backspacing and with a 1.5" spacer bring me back to 4.62" backspacing. If I was using the 17x8 TT2s I wouldn't need the spacers. But then there's the Cobra IRS in the back now, which with the 17x9 pushes out about 1" and all balances out perfectly. Basically, if the 13" rotors were all I was doing, I wouldn't need the spacer. The wheels depend on the spacers to fit everything together. I agree, I'm not a fan of spacers, but I'll take a spacer over a "adapter". At least the wheel is still bolted to the rotor my way vs an adapter that is bolted to the rotor separately.
Also, in your photo, I recognize the Granada spindle but what hub is that? Looks like a 70+? The mounting flange on the Granada Hub is over 1" thick after I cut the disc off.

Bart
66 Coupe
408 Cleavor
Viper T56
Cobra IRS
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 09:11 AM
Supporting Vendor

I'm still ironing out the last few details but the black brackets will go for around the same as my drum spindle Cobra brackets, $199. I had to modify the caliper 'anchor', the yellow zinc piece that cradles the caliper, these are $85ea. I could probably do a core swap on these though. When you buy mine, I give a core refund and modify yours for the next guy... Currently they only fit my 13" rotor, these are $99 each.

Hubs are 65-73 OE 5-lug drum hubs. For my rotor I have to turn the O.D. ever so slightly to get them to sit flat inside the rotor.

I have been trying to get it to work on the Cobra rotor. I'm concerned with moving the caliper .48" (the hat height difference between my rotor and the Cobra rotor) further away from the stiffnes of the spindle.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 11:45 AM

nice work!!

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun
I'm still ironing out the last few details but the black brackets will go for around the same as my drum spindle Cobra brackets, $199. I had to modify the caliper 'anchor', the yellow zinc piece that cradles the caliper, these are $85ea. I could probably do a core swap on these though. When you buy mine, I give a core refund and modify yours for the next guy... Currently they only fit my 13" rotor, these are $99 each.

Hubs are 65-73 OE 5-lug drum hubs. For my rotor I have to turn the O.D. ever so slightly to get them to sit flat inside the rotor.

I have been trying to get it to work on the Cobra rotor. I'm concerned with moving the caliper .48" (the hat height difference between my rotor and the Cobra rotor) further away from the stiffnes of the spindle.

The way I did it, the Cobra rotor sits 0.170" closer to the Granada hub flange that the original disc did. I was trying to keep it close to the Granada specs as possible. If I laid my modded rotor flat next to a Granada rotor, the modded rotor outer wheel bearing snout would measure .170" shorter.
I didn't measure it but I think the space between the Caliper anchor and the spindle (where the original Granada caliper bracket mounted to) is about 1". I did a test fit of the Cobra Caliper anchor with my modded "CobraNada" rotor mounted and had to space it with a few washers. I'll try to get some pics up showing what I'm talking about.

I think I'm going to take the Granada caliper bracket and shave it down and modify it to take the Cobra caliper anchor.

Bart
66 Coupe
408 Cleavor
Viper T56
Cobra IRS
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 10:14 PM

Not to hijack this thread but what is the difference between the Cobra and regular GT PBR caliper besides the carriage to fit the larger diameter Cobra rotors?

While the 13" rotors would be cool, I'm running 15" rims which some what limit my choices besides my pocketbook. Since early Mustangs are not terribly heavy and mine is going to be limited to the street, I'm sticking with my 72 11.29" dia rotor and adapting PBR aluminum calipers to the 72 disc spindles. This should be a very light set up. I'm looking to keep my unsprung weight as low as possible.

Tom

I'm not a complete idiot, pieces are missing.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 10:39 PM
Just some guy

Garage

Aren't they pretty?

Functionally pretty much the same though made slightly differently. And somebody has smoothed and polished the plain PBR in the pic, they aren't that pretty in stock form.

.... it wouldn't be the first time reality took theory and conjecture out behind the woodshed and gave them a good thrashing.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-08-2013, 11:49 PM

using 68 disc and spindle

I'm a bit late to the discussion. what I'm doing is using the 68 disc from my stang,I pushed the studs out and seperated the disc from the hub.I turned down the back side of the hub to fit the disc placed the disc on the back side and pushed the studs back in, now I have my hub & disc assy. Now I have to fab a mounting bracket for the caliper and I'm done. Don't need to use any spacers, flange is in the original position.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 05:55 PM

when you find an older thread that is interesting ,an half the pictures are missing
rpm and romayo like this.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 07:17 PM

I have all the pictures showing

Tom

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskinhano View Post
I have all the pictures showing
Even the ones from the first post? Maybe you could repost them for those of us that can't see them?

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd 66 View Post
Even the ones from the first post? Maybe you could repost them for those of us that can't see them?
Ooops, sorry. Being an old post I didn't realize the pictures were missing in the frst post. Usually you get the little kitty meowing when a picture is no longer available. Are you putting the 13" Cobra brakes on?
2nd 66 likes this.

Tom

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskinhano View Post
Ooops, sorry. Being an old post I didn't realize the pictures were missing in the frst post. Usually you get the little kitty meowing when a picture is no longer available. Are you putting the 13" Cobra brakes on?
It does intrigue me as a future mod if I could gather all the parts to do it,but that'll be way down the road I'm sure.Besides I already have a pile of other projects I need to do to it first.
Off topic but ,are you running studded snows ,BLIZZAKS, OR CHAINS AT Watkins

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page