T5 Conversion, Cross Members, and Pinion Angle - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Mod and Custom Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default T5 Conversion, Cross Members, and Pinion Angle

I tried searching around but i didn't have much luck trying to find the answers to my questions. Perhaps I'm searching for the wrong terms.

I'm going to be doing a T5 5 speed conversion on my '65 coupe. It is originally an automatic car. It still has the stock 8 inch rear.

Can you guys recommend the best cross member I should go with for this conversion? Is the modern driveline transmission cross member the one to go with? I'm not too concerned with cost so long as it's a well designed unit that works properly.

What type of pinion angle issues should I be concerned with when doing a T5 5 speed conversion? Are there cross members that don't induce any pinion angle issues?

I found this thread on measuring driveshaft angle. I'm planning on doing this when I complete the T5 conversion.
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/sh...p?tid/1512333/

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.
2001 Mustang Bullitt
50 Proof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2009, 08:43 AM   #2 (permalink)

I've always herd good things about the modern driveline unit...however I reccomend always checking the angle regardless...I have a T45 and used a SN95 crossmember myself, I just fabricated brackets that allowed the tranny to sit at the correct angle(I think when everything was done it was somewhere between 2.5 and 3 degrees)

'86 Mustang SVO, rustbucket undergoing mild restoration
wicked93gs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2009, 06:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'm most likely going to pick up the modern driveline crossmember for the T5. Does anyone know if the cross member mounting points on the chassis need to be modified in order for the modern driveline cross member to bolt up properly? My brother installed an off brand t5 cross member on his '66 mustang and had to widen one of the cross member holes on the chassis.
2001 Mustang Bullitt
50 Proof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2009, 07:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

corey, this is the one I bought
http://www.calponycars.com/prodDetail.php?prodId=352

bought it through the mustangsteve site

lol, from their site

Quote:
NOTE: THE HOLES ON THE CROSSMEMBER MY NEED TO BE ELONGATED TO FIT, SINCE THESE CARS ARE OVER 25 YEARS OLD THE FRAMES DO TEND TO TWEAK ABIT.

I call bs...i've read plenty on this piece, everyone who had one had to elongate the holes, and everyone who bought the other member, I think the ron morris piece, did not

EDIT:

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/sh...rch/1/#2059268

there is an old thread with several who bought the exact x member I did. Every one of them had to elongate the holes....apparently the piece was made wrong, imo. 2 people in that thread had a ron morris unit, and they both said it lined up perfectly
-66 mustang 5.0 custom comp cam roller, edelbrock performer heads, airgap/670 carb,holley blue pump,2005 mustang discs, t5z trans with clutch cable, 130 amp taurus alt. 1996 explorer 373 8.8 rear, open tracker roller suspension, solid adj strut rods and more
-72 maverick 302 undergoing FULL resto
v8only is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2009, 07:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

I bought the MD kit for my 67 and the crossmember fits great. It bolts to the same holes the old one came from.
kwkenf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2009, 10:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default Re: T5 Conversion, Cross Members, and Pinion Angle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50 Proof
I tried searching around but i didn't have much luck trying to find the answers to my questions. Perhaps I'm searching for the wrong terms.

I'm going to be doing a T5 5 speed conversion on my '65 coupe. It is originally an automatic car. It still has the stock 8 inch rear.

Can you guys recommend the best cross member I should go with for this conversion? Is the modern driveline transmission cross member the one to go with? I'm not too concerned with cost so long as it's a well designed unit that works properly.

What type of pinion angle issues should I be concerned with when doing a T5 5 speed conversion? Are there cross members that don't induce any pinion angle issues?

I found this thread on measuring driveshaft angle. I'm planning on doing this when I complete the T5 conversion.
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/sh...p?tid/1512333/

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.
I used the M.D. cross member as well. Had an excellent fit. the hole on the one side for the frame bolt is elongated. In my case, it did not need to be. Fit is very tight to the transmission and body, to assist with exhaust pipe room.

The drive-train angle will depend on what style of mounts used. Stock '66 mounts or '65 mounts with original "thick" isolators will most likely set the drive-train angle close to 4*. Not a big deal, just shim the spring pads 1*.

The T5 transmission is taller due to the built in shifter, and that is why the change in angle. The shifter would hit the top of the tunnel if tucked up any tighter.

The search engine on this site is really tough for me to use effectively too. Google is a great way to search on T5 swaps. It will bring up threads on this and other sites, along with personal web sites, and parts stores.
In the signature below there is a link to a web site where I did a short write up when I installed the T5 with the 6 cylinder, that *may* be of help as well.
It's an easy swap, that is very fun to do.
Good luck!
66Runt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2009, 10:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

I just installed a Ron Morris T-5 Crossmember. It was a PERFECT FIT! No modifications at all. I should have bought one a year ago. I think I could have avoided a lot of "Stupid Tax"!

Marty.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:43 AM   #8 (permalink)

which one is the m.d. x member?? what does md stand for?
-66 mustang 5.0 custom comp cam roller, edelbrock performer heads, airgap/670 carb,holley blue pump,2005 mustang discs, t5z trans with clutch cable, 130 amp taurus alt. 1996 explorer 373 8.8 rear, open tracker roller suspension, solid adj strut rods and more
-72 maverick 302 undergoing FULL resto
v8only is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2009, 07:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

MD stands for Modern Driveline.

Here is a link to the cross member. Just click on the year for a better view.

http://www.safepay.net/cgi-bin/shop/...oderndriveline
kwkenf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.