86 LINCOLN 5.0 ??? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Mod and Custom Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-31-2009, 04:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 86 LINCOLN 5.0 ???

is the 5.0 in a lincoln mk7 the same as a 86 mustang ? my parents have this car and going to junk it but it has a perfectly running engine and trans . i was thinking 5.0 and aod trans swap for my fastback .

thanks
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2009, 05:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

I used an '85 Linc. Town Car 5.0 and AOD in my last '66. I think it was near '86 when they went to electronic shifting on the AOD. Mine was still in the non-elec. shifting. It worked great but from my memory, they are nothing fancy...... I used the one I had due to it ran great and was cheap.
'07 GT Vert (The family car)
'66 Coupe (For fun)
Previously owned: Blue '66 Coupe, Red '66 Coupe, red '68 Coupe, Black '87 GT HO, Red '00 GT Vert
AzPete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2009, 05:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

Try to stay away from anything in 1986. The heads on the GT were unique and were changed in 87 - they don't work on anything else. 87-93 GT is the hot ticket.

Dave

David Stribling
Dave Stribling Restorations
Dave Stribling Restorations
mustangsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2009, 05:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default Re: 86 LINCOLN 5.0 ???

The Mark engine that year is not a H.O. like the Mustang engine is.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

thanks it says ho on the fuel injection but i'll take your word for it .
Old 07-31-2009, 06:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default 86 LINCOLN 5.0 ???

The H.O. engine did not come in the Mark 7 until the LSC model of the Mark 7 came out which I think was in 89. Dual exhaust would be a fast easy way to tell a H.O.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Just some guy

Actually the '86's went either way. The regular Mark had a non-HO engine factory rated at 150HP. Identified by the eight VIN letter "F".
If the car is a Mark VII "LSC" then more than likely it is an HO engine. Rated at 200HP from the factory and identified by the 8th VIN letter "M". Double check, but I bet this is what you are looking at.
Both are very similar to Mustang engines of similar years with a few differences. Like Mustangs had forged or hyper' pistons where both Mark engines got plain cast pistons.
The '86 5.0 heads suck for any sort of performance use. They seem to be OK for a dead stock engine though. Either engine is pretty suitable for rebuilding and warming up later on though. Plan on scrapping the heads though.
The AOD is an "early" model. AOD's were upgraded internally in 1989 and weren't replaced by the electrically controlled in Town Cars late 1992. ALL Mark VII's had AOD's and wasn't replaced until 1993 when Mark VIII's got 4R70W's.
Some folks tend to pooh-pooh the earlier AOD's but lots of folks are getting great use out of them. Myself included.
A 1987 or newer model would likely be a better choice, but hey, if it's just sitting around anyway...
For some reason I've always had the urge to buy one of those old Mark VII's and hot rod it up under the hood. I don't know why. A long time ago there was guy on this forum that put a Vortech supercharger on one and drag-raced it so it's not just me.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

HMM it is an mk7 lsc so know i have to decide what to do

thanks gypsyr
Old 07-31-2009, 09:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

86 is not a mass air car, its speed density. Thats a coversion you'll want to do.
jarrettdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2009, 10:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR
Both are very similar to Mustang engines of similar years with a few differences. Like Mustangs had forged or hyper' pistons where both Mark engines got plain cast pistons.
Everything GypsyR said is pretty much right on target, except for this one item. The Mustang HO didn't get forged pistons 'til '87. In '86 they still had cast pistons, and IIRC they were true flat tops (no valve reliefs) to work with the '86 only high-swirl heads.
Old 08-01-2009, 02:05 AM   #11 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Just some guy

I wasn't really speaking about Mustang engine particulars because that's not what he is looking at. Just pointing out how a Mustang engine can be a slightly better choice.
We could probably make a point in a Lincoln's favor that a 5.0 Mustang of about the same age will generally have been much more abused than a Lincoln. A pretty important consideration is you intend to swap in a donor engine pretty much as-is.
That was a good point made about mass air. I didn't even think about that. Marks didn't go mass-air until 1989. But if you are of a mind to go retro 5.0 with a carburetor that wouldn't matter anyway. AOD's work fine with carburetors too.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:21 PM   #12 (permalink)

I have never seen a MK7 with mass air. I have had every year from 85-92 They were all speed density. Also I would not say that a lincoln motor has any less HP than the mustang. In 1990 the bill blass and the LSC have 225hp@4200 and 300ftlb@3200. The lincolns and other high end fords got the performance parts before the mustang. My 85 had four wheel disc brakes, Had fuel injection and was a roller block.
cyrus3355 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2009, 02:04 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickmaan
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR
Everything GypsyR said is pretty much right on target, except for this one item. The Mustang HO didn't get forged pistons 'til '87. In '86 they still had cast pistons, and IIRC they were true flat tops (no valve reliefs) to work with the '86 only high-swirl heads.
that's incorrect, the 86 engines had forged pistons.

If the plaque says HO, chances are it's the HO....as discussed, the heads are the worst small block ford heads ever made.

the real problem lies in the pistons. the 86 pistons were flat top forged pistons with no valve reliefs cut into them. No head, including e7 heads will bolt up except for the twisted wedge heads. Some have bolted e7's up, but most run into ptv clearance issues.

You can flycut reliefs into the pistons if you want to run a better head. kind of a pain in the ***.
-66 mustang 5.0 custom comp cam roller, edelbrock performer heads, airgap/670 carb,holley blue pump,2005 mustang discs, t5z trans with clutch cable, 130 amp taurus alt. 1996 explorer 373 8.8 rear, open tracker roller suspension, solid adj strut rods and more
-72 maverick 302 undergoing FULL resto
v8only is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2009, 01:02 PM   #14 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Just some guy

OK, I am wrong. LSC's never had mass air. Also the Hollander interchange is wrong and so is every parts store that lists a replacement air mass flow meter for 1989-92 Lincoln LSC's.
We seem to be getting way off track here and picking some immaterial nits. But HO or not, the Lincolns in question has CAST pistons, regardless of what Mustangs did or did not have.
The Mark the OP is looking at I think is a viable donor though it has major drawbacks for performance purposes with the heads and pistons. If SWMBO needed a fresh drivetrain for her car I'd use it in a minute. If it were my car, I'd consider it a "builder" but basically as good a roller 5.0 donor as any. Just my thoughts, nothing carved in stone.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.