How much should I expect to pay for c4 rebuild - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Mod and Custom Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-17-2009, 01:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How much should I expect to pay for c4 rebuild

I think my c4 needs a rebuild. The car does not like shifting to third till it is warm. Has new fluid and levels are right. It also feels like it is causing a wobble of something similar to clutch chatter. I am not sure if the tranny needs some love but it leaks also so I have to do something. So, how much should expect to pay for a rebuild? Should I have them put in a shift kit while it is open? Any other items I should do since it will be open anyway? Look under the car and you will see why it needs to stop leaking on my driveway.

Last edited by rottenralph; 10-17-2009 at 03:02 PM.
rottenralph is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2009, 01:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'd expect to pay ~$650 or less with a TransGO shift kit. Any more and they're nuts...you can get a 500hp-rated Broader Performance C4 for $850. Parts are REALLY cheap and they are pretty simple, heck, some people here have rebuilt them themselves.

C4 transmissions and parts
C4, C5 transmission parts: Bulkpart transmission parts
Old 10-17-2009, 03:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the feedback, as soon as I get a few days of warmer weather around here I will take it in. I will have to ride my Sporty to work so I need it to be a little higher than 45 in the morning.
Old 10-17-2009, 03:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

I would check out JPT transmissions. The guy is awesome with C4's. The only way to get a hold of him that I know of is through Alex at monymkrssla@aol.com. he does full rebuilds makes his own shift kits and has been around for a while.
88 Tbird
06 Cobalt

BCP Custom
trashline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2009, 07:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

Jim's number at JPT is 517-665-0578. I have a couple of his transmissions and at this time I'm restoring his 64 427 Custom (stripped Galaxie).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3.../Lakeland1.jpg
rusty428cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2009, 07:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

I plan on having it done locally. My Mustang is my daily driver and I need it back quickly. I wish I could send it to the experts but I will consult with the local Mustang shop and see who they use.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:27 AM   #7 (permalink)

Ford Transmission Forum

A good Ford forum for tranny stuff. Guy on there does Badshoe productions where you can get a video from him and do your own trans rebuild. I have done two AOD trannies with a video from him. Not too hard and he does a great job of taking you thru the teardown and build up.

Click Click Racing Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Ask anything at clickclick about ford tranny's as they are the pro's.
gwstang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2009, 12:48 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashline View Post
I would check out JPT transmissions. The guy is awesome with C4's. The only way to get a hold of him that I know of is through Alex at monymkrssla@aol.com. he does full rebuilds makes his own shift kits and has been around for a while.

I Had Jim do my tranny as welll but with disastrous results. had to send the valvebody back to him twice. still wasnt right after being redone. wouldnt shift into third untill warm. sometimes it starts in second as well. they told me 30 days turnover time but it took over 2.5 months to have the tranny rebuilt. they called saying it was ready i drove 3 hours to get there wasnt ready when i got there. A lot of drag racers recomended the guy to me but with my experience I wouldnt recomend him.
I ended up having another complete rebuild done locally on the tranny and its been fine since.
jamison42166 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2009, 07:28 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamison42166 View Post
I Had Jim do my tranny as welll but with disastrous results. had to send the valvebody back to him twice. still wasnt right after being redone. wouldnt shift into third untill warm. sometimes it starts in second as well. they told me 30 days turnover time but it took over 2.5 months to have the tranny rebuilt. they called saying it was ready i drove 3 hours to get there wasnt ready when i got there. A lot of drag racers recomended the guy to me but with my experience I wouldnt recomend him.
I ended up having another complete rebuild done locally on the tranny and its been fine since.
that sucks. I had two valve bodys done by him and never had issues, wasnt worried about turn around time as the car was in pieces.
88 Tbird
06 Cobalt

BCP Custom
trashline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.