Global West leaf springs and del-alum bushings installed.. whew! - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Mod and Custom Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Global West leaf springs and del-alum bushings installed.. whew!

I just finished spending about half a day installing a set of GW rear leaf springs along with their del-alum bushings. It's not a hard install although I have a few comments:
  • Installing the aluminum bushings in the springs eyes is a real PITA. a quick search on this site found me a pretty trick way of installing the bushings in the new springs: Using a mallet to drive a big screwdriver between the edges of the loop on the spring will open the eye just enough to press the bushing in.
  • Each bushing has grease fittings that need to be installed. The instructions get you pretty close, but I found that you have to make a few "adjustments" to the grease fitting placement in order to allow access to them once the springs are installed... you only get one chance at that BTW.
  • The springs are built like the Maier Racing units.. the spring placement is biased to the front of the car to prevent wheel hop.
Here are a few pics of the completed install.. I still haven't cleaned up the mess yet but you get the idea:

Front Bushing:

Rear bushing:

Diff mount:

Next job: Installing the axles and Detroit TrueTrac equipped third member and Cobra rear brakes!

-Shannon

331 Stroker with EFI, 355rwhp - 358 ft/lbs
Street or Track coil-over suspension
LastDeadLast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2010, 10:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

So these are the Global west springs that lower the rear 1 inch and prevents wheel hop? I see it prevents wheel hop just making sure these are the same ones. I seen some on those in Mustang Unlimited I think it was, around $400 I would like to have a set of those, If their worth it.
BossHoss66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2010, 10:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossHoss66 View Post
So these are the Global west springs that lower the rear 1 inch and prevents wheel hop? I see it prevents wheel hop just making sure these are the same ones. I seen some on those in Mustang Unlimited I think it was, around $400 I would like to have a set of those, If their worth it.
Probably the same ones, but I didn't pay near $400. More like half that. I never buy stuff like this at the parts houses.

-Shannon

Old 02-20-2010, 11:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

Where did you get the fuel tank?
03 SVT Cobra
Scottem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2010, 11:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

I got it from Jegs, it a stainless steel tank with baffles and an in-tank fuel pump in it's own sump. This tank was probably the most expensive part that I've bought for this car, and to be honest, I probably could have fabbed up a fuelie tank myself, but I just didn't want to have to worry about the safety aspects of it all... plus.. it looks killer....

-Shannon

Old 02-21-2010, 12:52 AM   #6 (permalink)

I learned an arbor press can be your best friend when installing/removing Del-Alum aluminum bushings. And you should like that setup; I couldn't be happier with my 5-leaf GW springs and Del-Alum shackles. Even with the 5 leafs, the ride is good (with Konis on their original setting) and I get no wheel-hop even with my over-rides disconnected.
amorrow02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2010, 01:03 AM   #7 (permalink)

Ammorrow02,

How is the ride height? Is it a 1" drop?

-Shannon

Old 02-21-2010, 04:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

Yes, I'd say the springs are good for about a 1" drop. My Global West springs actually sit approximately an inch higher than the Grab-a-Track reverse eyes I originally had to put it in perspective, as I'm just approximating a 1" drop since I never had original leafs on the car.
amorrow02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2010, 06:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

Do these prevent wheel hop by way of an extra half leaf in the front of the spring? If so I believe Mustangs Plus also sells these as their 5.5 leaf HD springs that are advertised to prevent axle/spring wrap. I have these on my car and am really happy with them although they are very firm and could be considered jarring by most, but I like my ride a little on the firm side.

http://www.mustangsplus.com/xcart/pr...at=2124&page=1

I received some poly eye bushings for x-mas and have been waiting to get them on, but those GW pieces look awesome!
Old 02-21-2010, 08:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

Making your own leaf springs isn't hard at all. I do it a lot. Fact is, I have never bought a new set of leaf springs for any of our cars. I rebuild them to get the ride height and spring rate I want.

Those Maier leafs were just a pile of leafs before them put the together. Time and a cut off wheel is about all it takes.

lowering rear of car w/o blocks (long) - Mustang Forums at StangNet
opentracker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2010, 01:14 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastDeadLast View Post
I just finished spending about half a day installing a set of GW rear leaf springs along with their del-alum bushings. It's not a hard install although I have a few comments:
  • Installing the aluminum bushings in the springs eyes is a real PITA. a quick search on this site found me a pretty trick way of installing the bushings in the new springs: Using a mallet to drive a big screwdriver between the edges of the loop on the spring will open the eye just enough to press the bushing in.
  • Each bushing has grease fittings that need to be installed. The instructions get you pretty close, but I found that you have to make a few "adjustments" to the grease fitting placement in order to allow access to them once the springs are installed... you only get one chance at that BTW.
  • The springs are built like the Maier Racing units.. the spring placement is biased to the front of the car to prevent wheel hop.
Here are a few pics of the completed install.. I still haven't cleaned up the mess yet but you get the idea:

Front Bushing:

Rear bushing:

Diff mount:

Next job: Installing the axles and Detroit TrueTrac equipped third member and Cobra rear brakes!

-Shannon
Good job. Those are always a "party" the first time around.
The screwdriver trick is a good one.
Sounds like you didn't have to get crazy to get the frame bushings into place. Usually
the frame bushings are super tight and you have to make a tool with a short length of
threaded rod and two washers to pull them into place.

Don't know what your plans are for rear shocks, but resist the temptation to go really
stiff out back- kinda kills the progress you made with the springs when the rear tries
to pass the front of the car during spirited driving.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1994

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams
GT289 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2010, 01:31 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastDeadLast View Post
I got it from Jegs, it a stainless steel tank with baffles and an in-tank fuel pump in it's own sump. This tank was probably the most expensive part that I've bought for this car, and to be honest, I probably could have fabbed up a fuelie tank myself, but I just didn't want to have to worry about the safety aspects of it all... plus.. it looks killer....

-Shannon
Looks killer. I'd love to know how the ride is affected. I was afraid of an overly harsh ride when I first saw those. Mind if I ask for a link to that gas tank (I'm in need of a solution in that area)? That too looks killer.
uh60lchief is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.