Independent rear suspension system converstion ? - Vintage Mustang Forums

19Likes

post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Independent rear suspension system converstion ?

Has anyone installed independent rear suspension under a 1966 Mustang? I was asked tonite if the rear suspension of a late model Thunderbird could be put under a 66 convert. I know that with enough money and time anything is possible. We have installed the drive train from the Thunderbird ,wiring harness, computer,ect. Any technical advice will be greatly appreciated

Dennis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 10:12 PM
JEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustruck View Post
Has anyone installed independent rear suspension under a 1966 Mustang? I was asked tonite if the rear suspension of a late model Thunderbird could be put under a 66 convert. I know that with enough money and time anything is possible. We have installed the drive train from the Thunderbird ,wiring harness, computer,ect. Any technical advice will be greatly appreciated
The MN12 rear suspension is way, way, way wide for any early Mustang. I've got one that's gradually getting ready to go into my '64 Country Sedan, it's about 2in wider than the stock Galaxie axle. I've had the rear wheels made with appropriate offset to fit, and that car's got enough rear fenderwell to lose a couple small New England states in there anyway.

Even the SN95 Cobra IRS (3-4in narrower IIRC) is too wide to fit under a '65-66 Mustang without flares, though it'll fit in the later ones (and Fairlanes, later Falcons, etc.)

Some of the kit-car folks e.g. Factory Five replica Cobras use an IRS based on the MN12 rear spindles and pumpkin, but fabricate a new cradle and control arms for their narrower applications. If you're really into fabrication and can sort out the geometry you might see what they're up to.
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 10:15 PM

There's 2 other threads in the Mod and Custom section on this topic. I had to flare my 66 for a Cobra IRS swap.

Another Cobra IRS swap LOTS OF BIG PICS!

Bart
66 Coupe
408 Cleavor
Viper T56
Cobra IRS

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 10:34 PM

There is a guy in Utah, that revived the original Klaus Arning designed bolt in IRS system. If he is still in business, it would be worth investigating. Spendy, but a great design.
Here is the website:

MUSTANG IRS - Independent Rear Suspensions For New & Classic Ford Mustangs

Good luck,
rpm likes this.
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:

I put a Jag IRS unit under my 64.5 There are 5 full web pages on the subject on my web site DazeCars, Ford Galaxie Mustang tech and restoration as well as my IRS specific forum.
rpm likes this.

If it aint broke..... modify it anyway! ! ! ! www.IRSuspension.com

Free Mustang tech info @ www.DazeCars.com
Galaxie and Full Size Ford forum [color:blue]www.Galaxieforum.com
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 09:21 PM

FNG

Just a new guy to the forum..seein how this works. Please excuse the random entry.

64 1/2 Mustang Nothcback. 351W based 427 stroker: World Iron Block, SCAT Forged Crank and Rods, JE Pistons, AFR 205cc CNC Heads, Jesel SS Rockers, QFT 750 cfm Carb. 500 HP / 500 ft-lbs. Lentec AOD trans. TCP manual rack . TCP Coilovers Front w 1 1/8 roll bar. TCP Billet G link Rear w Fab 9 Housing and Billet splined torsion bar. 31 splined Currie SS Axle. Detroit Tru Trac 3.55 Diff. Alum 2 fan Radiator. Rick's SS tank with A1000. ET Classic 5 Wheels Working on the rest....Gus
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 03:03 AM

Quote:
I know this is an old Question, but someone in 2017 might be interested in a updated answer...Well besides Duane S. Carling at MUSTANG IRS - Independent Rear Suspensions For New & Classic Ford Mustangs ...you may want to check out some other Companies that Market IRS for Vintage Mustangs like Daves Stribling Restorations: IRS for Vintage Mustangs: IRS For Vintage Mustangs and a New kid on the block is called HEIDTS and they make a High Horse Power IRS for 64 1/2 - 70 Mustangs: 1964-1970 Mustang High Horsepower IRS Independent Rear Suspension Kit for Performance - HEIDTS ...Hope this Helps...God Bless!
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 09:13 AM

Out of all the options linked above the Cobra IRS is probably the most cost efficient. Both the Heidts and the MustangIRS are at an eye watering $10k price point. I haven't decided which rear end style I'm going to use but if IRS you can bet it'll be the Cobra, stock replacement parts available and OEM quality.
Harryburroughs likes this.

-Brett
1968 Mustang coupe 5.0/T5
FiTech EFI
Build Thread
Current Project: 1968 fastback 351w
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 01:25 PM

The Jag IRS is way less expensive IF you have the fabrication skills. I have updated my web site with a page titled Mustang IRS Success Stories

Its about several Mustangs running around with Jaguar IRS loosly based on what I designed for my own Mustang.

DazeCars, Mustang IRS Success Stories

If it aint broke..... modify it anyway! ! ! ! www.IRSuspension.com

Free Mustang tech info @ www.DazeCars.com
Galaxie and Full Size Ford forum [color:blue]www.Galaxieforum.com
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Has anyone installed independent rear suspension under a 1966 Mustang?......."
Yeah, Carroll Shelby had it done about 50 years ago as part of the prototype 1965 GT350-R program.

The project was dropped for one reason: the IRS car did not produce any faster laps around the racetrack than the conventional suspension cars were able to do.

At that time Winning races were more important to Shelby than bragging rights of how sophisticated the car was.

Z

post #11 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zray View Post
Yeah, Carroll Shelby had it done about 50 years ago as part of the prototype 1965 GT350-R program.

The project was dropped for one reason: the IRS car did not produce any faster laps around the racetrack than the conventional suspension cars were able to do.

At that time Winning races were more important to Shelby than bragging rights of how sophisticated the car was.

Z
The first page of my DazeCars, Mustang IRS or Independent Rear Suspension (one of eight) goes into detail on the original IRS intended for the Mustang. It was designed by Arning and the basic design is currently bing sold by CTM Engineering

post #12 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 09:28 PM

Just an update on the Arning setup.....many of you probably remember that Carling and some of the original group built a GT350 with the original IRS. Last year it won First Place in Vintage Race Group at Mid America Ford Shelby Nationals.

Coyote build in 65 GT Fastback on the rotisserie
F150 SCREW Ecoboost as my daily
66 Emberglow Coupe first car,71 Torino GT, 82 Fastback slooooow 6 banger, 71 Boss 351, 85 GT all long gone
post #13 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 09:58 AM

I get it if you like to tinker or try new things, but if you're just a regular joe who is not pushing the limits of what can be done with a live axle and off the shelf parts, why do this? I'm guessing most people don't even push the limits of what is possible with a leaf setup, let alone a coilover and watts setup. Is it more of a comfort thing?
Huskinhano and rpm like this.

1965 Mustang
post #14 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms jdub View Post
I get it if you like to tinker or try new things, but if you're just a regular joe who is not pushing the limits of what can be done with a live axle and off the shelf parts, why do this? I'm guessing most people don't even push the limits of what is possible with a leaf setup, let alone a coilover and watts setup....."?
Very well put. That how I feel about many modern upgrades, none of which are making ME a better driver. My limits are reached much sooner than the limits of antique suspension with the "outdated" Koni shocks. For example, I'm sure the Bilsteins are head & shoulders a better engineered product, but if I can't even reach the limits of the Koni's how are the modern Bilsteins going to get me around the track any faster ?

Back to the IRS subject, likewise, if one of the greatest drivers of the 20th century, Ken Miles, can't get around the track any faster with an IRS Mustang, then the money and time spent putting one into a vintage Mustang sure isn't going to do me much good.

Z

post #15 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 11:52 AM

My "plan" if I inherit Dad's matching 67' vert (but 6 cyl) is to buy a used/low mileage Lincoln LS (same engine and IRS as the Cobra ) and do this swap...

Daisy is a 1967 Coupe
Painted Frost Turquoise
Styled Steel Wheels
White Vinyl Roof
Deluxe Interior
WsW Tires

(And that big ol' 390 Engine )

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page