Vintage Mustang Forums banner

289/302 Top End Kit

15K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  Black65 
#1 ·
#11 ·
if you are going to go with a modern aluminum head with screw in rocker arm studs, such as the afr 165, then you might as well go with a solid lifter (flat tappet) cam such as the 289 Hi-Po cam, so you can take advantage of the high rpm capabilities of the afr heads. Comp cams mades two cams that make plenty of power w/o being so radical that they are not street driving friendly.

COMP Cams 31-671-4 - COMP Cams Nostalgia Plus Camshafts - Overview - SummitRacing.com

COMP Cams 31-110-3 - COMP Cams Factory Muscle Camshafts - Overview - SummitRacing.com

for a intake, Summit sells a series of edlebrok knock-offs that can save you some money:
Dual plane - 4.7L/289 - FORD - Intake Manifolds, Carbureted - SummitRacing.com

Z.

#12 · (Edited)
I would put a 351W cam in it. I just built my 70 FB 302 motor and put the Windsor cam in. Changes the firing order to 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8. I Used a Edelbrock hydraulic cam, lifter kit from summit. Part # EDL-7182 Specs are--RPM range-1800-6400, Duration@50 lift 224/234 deg int/exh., Valve lift .496 in .520 in, lobe separation 112 degrees. Sounds real good. Motor has a nice lope to it but not to much. I built another motor a few years back and put a Windsor cam in it also. Its specs were --duration 280/290, valve lift 472/496 which I believe is closer to the Hi-Po cam. The .496/520 lift cam sounds a whole lot better. Also you may ask why the windsor cam? Seems to me it just make the motor twist a little faster, sound better, being your changing the firing order around. Maybe it's just me. I also have a Edelbrock stage 2 aluminum intake with a 600 CFM carb (part # EDL-1406) Have some earlier model cast small CC heads on it i ported. Wish I had the AFR-165's on it like suggested above. That would make a nice top end. I am running a 4-speed with 4.11 gears. As you know in the end it is your decision what you go with.

#13 · (Edited)
If it were me, I'd get the TFS Twisted Wedge 170s instead of the AFRs. Because of the updated design, you get the benefit of the larger valves, without having to worry about piston/valve clearance. They're a better design than the old inline, stock style heads IMO, and they will give you more room to grow than the AFRs 165s, if you decide to do more mods later.

#14 ·
I don't think you are going to get a good recommendation without a lot more info.

Current short block?
HP goals?
budget?
tranny?
gears?

The kit you listed didn't include valve cover, rockers or the hardened pushrods required for guidplates and stud mount rockers.

#15 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.