Tci torque arm 3 link rear suspension - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Mod and Custom Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Tci torque arm 3 link rear suspension

Does anyone have experience that they can share? I'm also considering the Rod and Custom 4 link system if someone wants to opine About that as well. I like the subframe connector and integrated driveshaft loop in the TCI design.

TCI SPECIAL! $1601 TCI 64-70 Mustang Cougar Torque Arm 3 Link Rear Suspension Kit

Rod And Custom. coiloverrear

Last edited by blinn; 09-23-2011 at 09:43 PM.
blinn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2011, 09:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

also interested in this thread, free bump
Suicide67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2011, 11:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

I've got it and love it. There isn't much out there for convertibles, but this hit/exceeded the mark. Handling and traction went through the roof. I went through so many variations of spring/ shock combos till I just through in the towel and got rid of the leafs. Convertibles twist in the middle so much more than fb or coupes. The TCI x-brace tied it together very well. It's still not as tight as if it had a roof though. What I didn't care for was the quality of the non-adjustable shocks. I traded those out for Bilstein w/hypercoils. The other thing is the panhard bar acts like a stethoscope for rear end noise (this happens with any brand with rod ends). Aside from that, it is a 10. Now I'm shopping for new tires.
Personally, I would never consider a 4-link unless you are only conserned with the 1/4 mile.
Campindog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2011, 01:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Supporting Member

just for the record a Maeco Motorsport (818-701-1923) prepped 66 mustang #99 outran the Total Control prepped #34 mustang. the 99 has an iron head boss 302 , the #34 has an aluminum 408. the 99 has reworked stock upper and lower a-arms, coil springs, koni shocks in the front, leaf springs in the rear, watts link, konis, 15x8.5" wheels. the 34 has Total Control coil over front and Total Control 3 link in the rear, 17x11 wheels. both cars have 4 wheel disc. the #34 should have lapped the #99 BUT it didnt cause coil over isnt always better if its not designed right. Maeco put a vid on here a while back of that race. Both drivers are very aggressive and very good. a properly set up leaf spring mustang is just a fast and faster then a coil over setup. if you want handling i recomend you call Maeco. if you want a drag race setup i dont know who to tell you to call.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LUCKED OUT with a short rod.jpg (20.5 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg lost2.jpg (18.2 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by supershifter2; 09-26-2011 at 01:43 AM.
supershifter2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2011, 03:35 AM   #5 (permalink)

If you ever find that video supershifter, i would love to see it!

I was considering that rear suspension from TCP, but i might have to think otherwise!

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b3...stangRace3.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b3...25222462_n.jpg
kennygunit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2011, 06:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennygunit View Post
If you ever find that video supershifter, i would love to see it!

I was considering that rear suspension from TCP, but i might have to think otherwise!
this is it and the camera is in the 99 car www.youtube.com/user/maecomotorsport#p/u/11/cFrWs-ma7Rs Dan stats out ahead but drops back to save his tires untill the end. about 13:40 is when he passes the 34 the first time. he comes in ahead of the 34 at the end but the video quits before that. 408 aluminum stroker in the 34 vs ALL iron boss 1970 302 in the 99. the boss 302 has STOCK exhaust port location, i have seen it at Maeco many times over the years, i have looked under it many times. i has an OLD suspension setup compared to what Maeco does now. the driver is probably 50% of what makes the car go around the track fast. even a real good car with a not so good driver will usually get outrun by a real good driver in a not so good car. if Dan had wider wheels and really good tires instead of the old bias ply slicks the car would corner much faster.

Last edited by supershifter2; 09-26-2011 at 06:40 AM.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

Well.... Thanks for the hijack, not sure why you're talking about TCP (Total Control Products) in a TCI (Total Cost Involved) thread but let's get back to my original question !!

Anyone else have experience with the 2 rear suspension configurations that I listed above?
Old 09-26-2011, 02:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Supporting Member

its a similar design to the TCP and not necessarily better then a properly set up leaf spring. the TCI system looks like ia adds a lot of extra weight. it also has to be dailed in. if your looking for flash it looks cool. as for hijacking the thread thats not what i did. i gave you the best answer i could when it comes to a coil over rear suspension. if you want your mustang to really handle i suggest calling Maeco. i'v ben roadracing 65-66 mustangs since 1974. i have lived a few miles from Maeco since the mid 90's and go there quite often. I use and have used Maeco suspension stuff on 2 of my 65 street legal roadrace mustangs. what kind of driveng do you plan on doing ? roadracing, roadracing/street driving , drag racing ? we need more info.

Last edited by supershifter2; 09-26-2011 at 02:42 PM.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

Street driving only, not interested in racing or drag in any way. I'm planning on coilovers and disc's on all 4 wheels. Isn't the TCP products a 4 link suspension where the TCI is 3 link? Maybe the best way to compare is have the same driver in both cars anyway!
Old 09-26-2011, 03:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
Supporting Member

TCP has a 3 and 4 link. if no one here has experience with the 2 kits listed above there may be another forum on the web where someone has used those kits.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:51 PM   #11 (permalink)

I bet one could count on 2 hands how many people in this country are intimately familiar with the 2 products listed. (intimate meaning installed, agressively driven and assessed)

Therefore, you could wait and hope that one of those people sees the thread and takes the time to respond or you could ponder the advice offered.

Your question is apples and oranges. The 2 systems will behave differently regardless of manufacturer. I think you should take a closer look at which system best fits your needs.

FWIW, I prefer the torque arm design over a canted 4 bar. Bolt in systems should be welded.
OCHOHILL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2011, 06:43 PM   #12 (permalink)

You could ask over at pro-touring.com, the Camaro guys are into those setups.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:09 PM   #13 (permalink)

I think this guy is just a normal guy like myself that wants something a little cooler and more up to date then leaf springs. So cut the guy some slack and just give insite if you know someone or have it. As far as road noise goes, I heard that they do that and that turns me off
Suicide67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2011, 10:45 PM   #14 (permalink)

Supershifter2 brings up some good points. What is it you want out of the car? All of your options have pros and cons. Everything from comfort to routing exhaust. What works on a track doesn't work over pot holes. How well the design is executed is more important than what type it is. And there is a HUGE range of quality in shocks and springs. People think they can get by with KYB shocks and cheap springs. What can be done with the stock design would surprise most people. BUT this isn't for everyone. If you have a reason to leave the stock stuff behind, then do it.
My car will never see a track, but it does see a lot of mountain roads (with $$$ german cars). The t/a made the car smooth and predictable.
Now that you've said you want coilovers in the front, that throws a huge variable into the mix. Front and rear have to work together. What is the plan for motor? Why do you want c/o in the front? Mod motor, better motion ratio, ride height adjustability, bling?
There is a guy on modded mustangs . com that uses the tci, tcp and possibly R&C stuff. Look for mustangone.
Supershifter2, If the T/A adds weight, it's not much. My fat, heavy convertible weighs 3533 with me, full stereo (subs) and 20 gal of gas. I wish I had corner weighed it with leaf springs, but didn't.
Campindog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2011, 07:03 AM   #15 (permalink)

The trick with good handling leaf springs is usually to limit the task of the springs to just carrying the car. Lateral forces are dealt with by the panhard bar or Watts link and the axle rotation is prevented by traction bars of something similar. With those two installed, the two main problems of leafs (side flex and wrap up) are dealt with.
Helmantel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.