Rebuilt my Holley carb, and now I can't keep her running. Help. - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Mod and Custom Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Rebuilt my Holley carb, and now I can't keep her running. Help.

I used a Holley TricKit and a Super Chevy (I know, I know) online rebuild guide to rebuild my 4160 four-barrel. Blew out all the passages, no leaks and all my gaskets were checked and double checked to make sure they were going on the right direction.

Now that it's on the car, she wants to start - and in fact will start if the pedal is floored - but won't stay running, choke open or closed.

Definitely could use some insight from the proverbial gray beards. Help!
2006 Mitsubishi Evolution IX
2002 Chrysler 300M Special

SchnorrCS: when people find out how into these cars I am, all the sudden they have/had one just like mine, but it was purple and had a hemi, and was a Shelby.
TrueBlue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2012, 04:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Did you use any adhesives? they can obstruct passages
beechkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2012, 06:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

Did you match up each gasket properly? I just rebuilt my 4160 and am dreading the day when I have to actually start it up. But with all the gaskets in that kit, I had to double-check each one multiple times (and am glad I took lots of pics taking it apart). Some of them are really similar but just one or two holes are different. From what I've read, that can make all the difference. I held up each old gasket to the light and went through each new one until I had all the holes lined up correctly between the two.
burnout289 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2012, 08:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yes, I checked the hole pattern against the old gaskets. It wants to start - you spin the key and VROOOOM! - but then it just dies off.

I adjusted the idle screws to 1.5 turns from seated and played from there, but no dice!

SchnorrCS: when people find out how into these cars I am, all the sudden they have/had one just like mine, but it was purple and had a hemi, and was a Shelby.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Fellow Sabres fan... When you look down the venturi and open the butterfly does it spray gas? If you have a PCV is the tube hooked up?
Alan _MacDougall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2012, 08:41 AM   #6 (permalink)

Hi Alan! Yessir, PCV valve is hooked up, and the valve rattles when you shake it. The throttle is indeed squirting gas down the throat.

Rough year to be a Sabres fan, eh?

Old 04-10-2012, 10:11 AM   #7 (permalink)

Another tough year for the Sabres. I still watched all the games on center ice. I expect Boyes and Roy to be gone but we need more than a player change.

If the float level is correct, I would take it off and start dismantling. I think its a gas delivery problem. I had a problem one time where there was a small pin hole in the rubber gas line, the car started but would stall shortly there after. Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue View Post
Hi Alan! Yessir, PCV valve is hooked up, and the valve rattles when you shake it. The throttle is indeed squirting gas down the throat.

Rough year to be a Sabres fan, eh?
Old 04-11-2012, 09:49 AM   #8 (permalink)

I set the floats at the time of rebuild, flipped the tanks upside down and adjusted them to sit level. There's a procedure to adjust them while the car's running, but since I can't get it to do more than fire and turn over, I can't accurately adjust that, either.

I'm just trying to knock down all the possibilities before I yank the carb off again. No big deal to do it but I'm just wondering if it's in the adjustments.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:22 AM   #9 (permalink)

What made you rebuild the carb? Was it running before the rebuild? Is there no way to keep the car running even with the throttle down? Does the 4160 have a sight to check float level? When it stalls out does it smell like gas? Are the venturies wet with fuel when it stalls?
Monzy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 12:43 PM   #10 (permalink)

What was the reason for the rebuild? Did the carb sit for a long time with fuel in it? Was there anything else you did besides install the rebuild kit? Did you soak the main body in solvent to clean out the passages? Your float level should be close with your dry adjustment method. I would still try to check the sight hole for the proper gas level. Is your gas filter old?
Old 04-12-2012, 03:13 PM   #11 (permalink)

I rebuilt the carb as I was having hard starts - I'd have to pump the gas pedal and even crack the throttle open to start the car, and upon hard acceleration there was a noticeable delay.

Nope, no way to keep the car running without mashing the gas to the floor. 4160 does have two sight ports, but I can't seem to tell if the floats are level with the carb bolted in, how do you do this? Even with a mirror and lighting it looks (looks) like the float in front is slightly high, and the one in rear slightly lower.

It actually "puffs" fuel back out of the carb after I try starting it now. I didn't do any other changes to the car, just the rebuild, and the filter is not even a year old. Carb body, metering block, and the empty float bowls were bathed overnight in thinner, scrubbed, and blew clean.

I looked at the old gaskets lat night, they have locating holes to prevent them from being installed backwards, so I honestly don't think I could have installed something backwards.

I just can't believe I'm so far off. She won't even start now, just spins and puffs out the carb, as if to spite me.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:40 PM   #12 (permalink)

Sounds like its way too rich. Maybe your metering block is not true and the gasket is not sealing causing a crossing of the metering circuits? Perhaps a bad needle? Do you have any fuel coming out of the vent tube?

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u...DSCF0139-1.jpg
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u...1/DSCF3667.jpg
1969 Mach 1- 357w: 11:1 compression, ported Canfield heads, FTI billet solid roller cam, Vic Jr., 850 Mighty Demon
Full manual AODE transmission w/ 9.5" Art Carr converter; 4.11 detroit locker

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2554478
6t9mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2012, 10:37 PM   #13 (permalink)

Sounds like the float needle shutoff is bad or the floats are not adjusted properly. You need someone cranking the motor and you lookings at the carb without putting your face right over the thing as it could ignite and take some hairs off so have a fire extinguisher handy. You shouldn't see gas pouring out of anywhere when the motor is cranked.

Take the sight plugs out when cranking and if gas comes out then the floats are to high and flood the motor out.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:10 PM   #14 (permalink)

I didn't see any fuel coming out of the vent tube. The float needles are the new needles straight from Holley. With it puffing gas out, it sounds like I am rich, but wouldn't it at least try to start with all that gas in the intake?

The rear float definitely had some gas coming out when the sight plugs were out. The front didn't though. Do you guys think my floats are sitting to high, causing the motor to just flood straight out?

I'm going to double and triple check wiring too, it's just not making any sense to me.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:39 PM   #15 (permalink)

No gas should come out of the sight plug if it does then adjust the float so it doesn't. If the float is low then adjust so fuel can fill the bowl.

If your flooding, you've got to open the carb up all the way to make it start by pushing the pedal down to the floor. Its very unlikely your going to start the motor if its flooded without opening the butterflies.

Did you touch the timing at all? Touch anything with the ignition?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.