EFI fuel line - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Mod and Custom Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default EFI fuel line

The hard lines from my tank to my pump on my 67 coupe are rusted and its getting old having to take the bowls and metering blocks off every other weekend to clean trash out. At the moment im still running a carb, holley 1460 to be exact, contrary to the thread title. My question is would the hihg pressure 3/8's plastic air line, like you use when you plumb a set of air bags and compression fittings hold up to the fuel pressure required for efi? Im thinking about running that line from my tank to my pupm and then from my pump to my carb. i figgure i can kill 2 birds with one stone, already have the high pressure plumbing done if i ever decide to run efi and get rid of the rust in the lines issue. I am planning on using fitting to turn any sharp corners and using tubing big enough to reuse the factoryu line clips as well as a few more in some unseen places. any thoughts on my plan would be great just trrying to get a second opinion.
have a 4bt cummins under the hood (no longer with me and boy do I miss that truck)
The Scooter-'08 GSXR 600 white on white, olson
pipe
Spot- 2004 Land Rover Disco II, snorkel, roof rack, and tube bumpers are in the planning stages now.

"He was a good christian boy untill he got tangled up with loose women, hard liquer and fast cars"
-My parts guy
rodeo5530 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2012, 07:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

oh and i plan on capping the barb fitting from the sending unit and running my line to the drain since its already a threaded plug and it seems to be on the same level if not lower than the barb on the sending unit.
have a 4bt cummins under the hood (no longer with me and boy do I miss that truck)
pipe
Spot- 2004 Land Rover Disco II, snorkel, roof rack, and tube bumpers are in the planning stages now.

"He was a good christian boy untill he got tangled up with loose women, hard liquer and fast cars"
-My parts guy
Old 04-16-2012, 08:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Ron Morris sells the fuel line, fittings, etc...
Old 04-16-2012, 09:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

Just order the aluminum fuel line from summit racing. Why use something that might puncture easy or that is not designed to carry fuel and could break down over time. The line is annealed, so it bends easy, and you can easily install braded hose end fittings on them.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

I wouldn't use any line that wasn't specifically rated for gasoline. Air line probably wouldn't be up to the task and you definitely don't want to risk a fuel rupture. There is hard plastic line that is rated for gasoline, and there is also rubber fuel line that is reinforced for use with higher fuel injeciton pressures. You'll no doubt hear many opinions, but I think hard metal lines would be the best choice - either aluminum or stainless steel. I am using stainless steel line for my EFI system along with AN fittings for any connections. For flexibility near the engine, I am using a flexible line w/ a braided stainless steel jacket. I had to use a short piece of rubber line to connect the fuel pump to the hard lines since my pump has a non-removable hose barb on the outlet, so hard metal line wasn't an option there.
TwEECer EFI tuning
T56 6-speed
Rod & Custom Motorsports IFS
TCP subframe connectors
Vintage Air Heat & AC

'99 Black Cobra - Daily driver
http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/a...psdd2caa40.jpg
Greg'66 5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 10:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

+12 on not using that line for fuel. Fuel line is fairly cheap, so I would go that route. You can also check out summit for various types/brands. I actually have used their lines on all the rockcrawlers I have built and it has held up tremendously. This is what I have used in the past

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-230610/
Vehicle A.D.D. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 11:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

You want nylon tubing rated for fuel. Its super cheap, I am running it on my car. You can't make tight bends without fittings though.

Dorman 800-074 Nylon Fuel Line Tubing
Old 04-17-2012, 12:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodeo5530 View Post
The hard lines from my tank to my pump on my 67 coupe are rusted and its getting old having to take the bowls and metering blocks off every other weekend to clean trash out. At the moment im still running a carb, holley 1460 to be exact, contrary to the thread title. My question is would the hihg pressure 3/8's plastic air line, like you use when you plumb a set of air bags and compression fittings hold up to the fuel pressure required for efi? Im thinking about running that line from my tank to my pupm and then from my pump to my carb. i figgure i can kill 2 birds with one stone, already have the high pressure plumbing done if i ever decide to run efi and get rid of the rust in the lines issue. I am planning on using fitting to turn any sharp corners and using tubing big enough to reuse the factoryu line clips as well as a few more in some unseen places. any thoughts on my plan would be great just trrying to get a second opinion.
In a word, no!
beechkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 12:35 AM   #9 (permalink)

Just go to your local Ford counter or auto parts store and buy the Ford-style EFI line and fittings. You'll be able to route it easily, use a over the counter Ford fuel filter.

6F09A 63A 8 26 09D 71 1 5
bartl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 07:31 AM   #10 (permalink)

Probably should've said "like" the air line. the stuff im planning on using is rated to hold fuel. its probably the same stuff bue linked to. i just couldnt think of a better way to explain what it was.
pipe

-My parts guy
Old 04-17-2012, 09:00 AM   #11 (permalink)

Well this is a "game changer" in the fuel line department! I was thinking you were heading down to Lowes to buy the plastic water line you use for your refrigerator's ice maker! LOL!!
Now I have to give this some thought. I'd like to know how brittle it is on impact with road debris or if it accidentally gets pinched with a floor jack. It looks like it is OEM stuff with Ford type fittings available for the ends.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:30 AM   #12 (permalink)

The trash you are seeing in the carb is probably from the tank and not the fuel lines. First thing I would do is either get a new tank or have that one cleaned and coated internally.
I prefer not to use the aluminum fuel line on a street driven car. It can work harden if bent too many times, and small rocks and gravel from the road can peen it and weaken the aluminum over time. Some blends of pump gas can also erode the aluminum. The aluminum is fine it your car never sees much road time but for a street driven car, I would pass on it. Steel or stainless steel, or nylon/plastic is the way to go, although you may have problems finding the correct fittings for the plastic line.
j persons is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 10:50 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsGT View Post
Well this is a "game changer" in the fuel line department! I was thinking you were heading down to Lowes to buy the plastic water line you use for your refrigerator's ice maker! LOL!!
Now I have to give this some thought. I'd like to know how brittle it is on impact with road debris or if it accidentally gets pinched with a floor jack. It looks like it is OEM stuff with Ford type fittings available for the ends.

I was concerned with that also, so I ran both lines (supply/return) inside some heavy duty plastic outdoor electrical conduit, the flexible gray stuff. Pics in my thread if you are interested, page 10.

Last edited by Beau M; 04-17-2012 at 10:54 AM.
Beau M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 02:55 PM   #14 (permalink)

Well, the conduit idea sure will work. But I have a hard time using electrical stuff like that. Hey, it's just me, seems kind of wrong to me to use something I see at work all day used in wiring mounted under my car. Now maybe some EMT and painted black.....
Old 04-17-2012, 03:13 PM   #15 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Just some guy

EFI needs a return line too. My thinking was since they offer two size fuel lines for '67 why not buy both, use the smaller as a return and run them side by side. I have bought both and installing them is creeping up to the top of my to-do list. I'm not running EFI, but I will be running a 1985 Mustang 5.0 GT pump which is setup for a return line.
I've never cared for plastic lines, OEM or not. I like plain steel. Part of the reason may be that I bought a $350 flaring tool and tend to look for excuses to use it. Over the years I've learned to take fuel lines very seriously. I want nothing less than optimal on my car.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.