The Coupe! - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Mod and Custom Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:25 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default The Coupe!

As some of you know since I sold the Shelby I have a new little toy. I bought a nice little '67 coupe to romp around in and have some fun with.

Here is a BEFORE PIC for you all..

PROGRESS SO FAR...

The paint is peeling in places so I've decided to get her painted. Color is TO Be Determined. ...just a cheapy paint job this time, nothing special.

While I'm waiting for the body shop to have an opening for me in the next week or so I've been working on the suspension and gathering a few parts.

Front suspension is all rebuilt now with Drake uppers and lowers, Grab-atrack lowering springs installed front and rear, roller spring perches, shelby-drop, BIG front sway bar, Billstein "BLACK" racing shocks, T5 transmission and Modern Driveline hydro clutch setup, as well as 4 17" TOYO RA1 Race tires and black FFR wheels.

I'll soon be installing a set of 4-wheel Wilwood 12.1" brakes, Golbal West subframe connectors and a Maier Racing rear panhard bar setup, as well as a narrowed 9" truck housing and 4:11 posi, micropolished gears. I have also purchased a complete factory 5.0 EFI system with Edelbrock upper and lower (truck style runners), with 24lb injectors, C&L MAF, A9L computer, and an E-cam with 1.7 rockers, and a set of ported E7 heads.

This one is FUNCTION OVER FORM for sure
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2012, 08:47 AM   #2 (permalink)

Sounds like a nice build!
My Driver - 65' GT Coup | Ford Racing 306" Roller | AOD | 600/1406 Edel w/Air Gap | MSD Dizzy | 3.55 Currie | Classic Air In Dash | ididit | Maier Racing Full Suspension | Panhard Bar | Roller Perches | Power TCP Rack & Pinion | Power Brakes | Sanderson Shorty's for AOD | Global West Rods | Old Air Electric Fan | Dynomax Vt's |
65BlkCoup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2012, 09:11 AM   #3 (permalink)

I think I would skip on the C&L, I've tried several of them and not one worked as it should. A ProM, or whatever they are calling themselves now days is a much better unit.
j persons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2012, 02:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by j persons View Post
I think I would skip on the C&L, I've tried several of them and not one worked as it should. A ProM, or whatever they are calling themselves now days is a much better unit.
As long as you have the correct sample tube the C&L works great. PRO M works well also, and supposedly reprogrammable back in the day.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:31 AM   #5 (permalink)

Here are some pics of the progress...

Old 05-06-2012, 01:37 AM   #6 (permalink)

Just installed headers, 3" exhaust with x-pipe, single chamber flows, and since I have not yet configured the entire rear suspension, I've installed dumps for now. Once I get the rear all dialed in and sway-bar mounted I will configure the back-half of the exhaust. The entire exhaust including used Hooker Competition headers cost me $110 and my time. Made with lightly used pipe left over from another car as well as the mufflers, and the X-pipe is new. Working on a budget here and doing well!

Old 05-06-2012, 05:09 AM   #7 (permalink)

Looking good! I plan to run that same pan hard, what's your review so far?
Old 05-06-2012, 05:25 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06killinsbf View Post
Looking good! I plan to run that same pan hard, what's your review so far?
Seems like a great part. Definitely good quality. I haven't really tested it in the corners yet. Install is SUPER EASY is if you can weld. I have it at the "lowest" setting and I noticed better control of the rear, yet it has a lot of roll still. I've been told raising the rod will get rid of that entirely.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:18 AM   #9 (permalink)

The bar needs to be level at ride height. If it isn't, the bar can induce sideways movement in the rear axle. I also needs to be as long as possible to minimize the sideways movement.
The height of the Panhard bar sets the roll center. Raising both ends will have the effect of raising the coll center at the rear, but the front and rear roll centers need to be at about the same height for optimum handling. A Fox body Mustang has a very high rear roll center due to their 4 link rear suspension design, and a front roll center at about 3" above ground level. This can lead to snap over steer at the limit, and other undesirable handling.

I don't know where the front roll center is on an early Mustang, and that's what you need to determine before setting the roll center at the rear.

BTW, the bar was invented be the Panhard car company of France in the early 20th century, and is pronounced "Panhard" not pan hard.
j persons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2012, 06:43 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by j persons View Post
The bar needs to be level at ride height. If it isn't, the bar can induce sideways movement in the rear axle. I also needs to be as long as possible to minimize the sideways movement.
The height of the Panhard bar sets the roll center. Raising both ends will have the effect of raising the coll center at the rear, but the front and rear roll centers need to be at about the same height for optimum handling. A Fox body Mustang has a very high rear roll center due to their 4 link rear suspension design, and a front roll center at about 3" above ground level. This can lead to snap over steer at the limit, and other undesirable handling.

I don't know where the front roll center is on an early Mustang, and that's what you need to determine before setting the roll center at the rear.

BTW, the bar was invented be the Panhard car company of France in the early 20th century, and is pronounced "Panhard" not pan hard.
Good info, thanks! I may be lifting the front suspension a bit for clearance reasons so I will revisit again once I dial that in. It seems to handle pretty well now, definitely a difference and a lot more control in the rear.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:38 AM   #11 (permalink)

Body and paint starts in the AM.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:14 AM   #12 (permalink)

Driver's quarter will be done in the AM and we will be moving on to the next panel.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:38 AM   #13 (permalink)

Nice car, Im in Sac and its cool to have a local build Is that a Maier Panhard bar?
A66auto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2012, 02:37 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A66auto View Post
Nice car, Im in Sac and its cool to have a local build Is that a Maier Panhard bar?
Thanks! Check out some of my older posts for my previous builds.

Yes it is a Maier setup.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:13 AM   #15 (permalink)

I checked out your other threads,nice builds. I finished the electronics program at ARC in 2008. Our classes were right next to the automotive and welding classes. Are you doing all of the welding work your self?
A66auto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.