AOD kickdown with a carb ? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Mod and Custom Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default AOD kickdown with a carb ?

Will I need additional linkage to add to my carb for the AOD kickdown, or do I need a certain carb to run with an AOD ?

will any brand carb work with an AOD trans ?

thanks
Ford True Blue paint, 17X8 Edelbrock 454 wheels, waiting to install AOD/2,800 rpm stall / 8.8 rear with 373 gears / 4 wheel disc brakes. / Xpipe, Dynomax Ultraflows . More pictures here-->http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...-few-pics.html
2013 SHO Performance Package tuned by Livernois Motorsports
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n...68stangsig.jpg
68_GT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2012, 09:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

The AOD doesnt have a kickdown and instead uses a TV (throttle valve)cable that controls shift points. There are conversion kits to adapt the TV cable over for Edelbrock or Holley use. The most widely accepted TV cable and carb conversion kits are made by Lokar. The conversion is a great prospect; few (if any) I have read regret the conversion. I have heard it referred to as "night and day" difference.
miketyler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2012, 12:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Just some guy

Holley and Edelbrock four barrel carbs are most often used the AOD's and the Lokar cables. I've had one hooked up to a stock Ford two barrel years ago with some slightly modifed stock linkage from another AOD Ford but I don't remember exactly what I used. Nor am I sure I'd chance doing that again.
The TV cable and its adjustment is absolutely critical to an AOD. If it's more than a little off it can actually badly (or expensively anyway) damage the AOD internally. If you spend the money for the Lokar cable it should be just fine. If you try to rig something up on your own you're asking for disaster. You can fudge and make do with other stuff but not the TV cable.
If the TV cable can't be adjusted to shift quite the way you like you can buy additional geometry "corrector" brackets to further fine tune them. They are available from places like Summit racing specifically for either Holley or Edelbrock carburetors. You might be able to adapt them to other carbs, maybe. But if you stick with one of those two brand carbs and the Lokar cable you will have a setup you can simply put together and adjust.
AOD's have ruined me. C4's and C6's are great transmissions but I can no longer live without that overdrive fourth gear. I really like AOD's.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2012, 01:05 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
AOD's have ruined me. C4's and C6's are great transmissions but I can no longer live without that overdrive fourth gear. I really like AOD's.
what are the bad points of the AOD's vs an AODE ? I hear such good things about what all the AODE's can do with Bauman controllers which makes me wonder what the AOD can not do ?? Such as controlling shift points etc...

I plan to run mine with a 2,500 rpm stall converter, and a B&M trans cooler.
Ford True Blue paint, 17X8 Edelbrock 454 wheels, waiting to install AOD/2,800 rpm stall / 8.8 rear with 373 gears / 4 wheel disc brakes. / Xpipe, Dynomax Ultraflows . More pictures here-->http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...-few-pics.html
Old 06-16-2012, 09:58 AM   #5 (permalink)

I think the AOD-E has better overdrive ratio and heavier duty parts. I have heard that an AOD can be retrofit with some of the AOD-E parts to give you best of both worlds. Ck out this webpage from Baumann Controls.

Baumann Electronic Controls
miketyler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2012, 03:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Just some guy

I'm kind of a "less is more" kind of guy on some things. AOD's are purely mechanical and hydraulic. Lockup is accomplished mechanically within the transmission itself versus a clutch within the converter. Modern vehicles about all use clutch converters for lockup. The advent of which also brought us the term "converter shudder". Which doesn't happen a lot but was a big factor in Ford introducing Mercon V ATF and specifying it for AODE's in particular. Pretty old news and not really a purchase choice factor.
I have an AOD and a 4R70W both in drivers. I can't tell the difference in the 4R70W having the "wide" ratios. THe only difference I can tell is that the 4R70W shifts into 4th and then lockup whereas when the AOD shifts into 4th it IS in lockup. There's also 3rd lockup on both but it's hardly noticeable.
Either transmission is a fine choice. If you don't mind spending more for the 4R70W and the controller, that's fine. The controller is neat to fiddle with but in all a truth if I had one I'd get it set where I wanted and probably never touch it again. Another member here has that setup and tweaking the controller for various reasons appeals to him. I like to put an automatic in drive and have take care of things itself. When I want intimate control of a transmission I have a 5 speed manual to drive. Just pick what will suit you and your bank account best.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2012, 09:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

well I have an AOD and a 2,500 rpm non lock up stall converter now. I just want to know what it can't do that is a turn off to others, and what I can do to it to make it perform correctly.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

Click Click Racing has some good AOD info. I'm installing an AOD in my 67 shortly, and just did the epoxy mod per a write-up there to fix the 1-2/3-OD pattern to 1-2-3/OD, and also installed a TransGo shift kit. I believe one of the biggest complaints of the AOD is the shift pattern, and the fact that it's easy to burn it up doing the 1-2-1 shift to hold second (which is remedied by the simple-to-do epoxy mod).

I'd honestly keep the AOD. The Lokar linkage is pretty simple to setup, and they actually can hold some power with light modification.
hookemdevils22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2012, 02:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookemdevils22 View Post
Click Click Racing has some good AOD info. I'm installing an AOD in my 67 shortly, and just did the epoxy mod per a write-up there to fix the 1-2/3-OD pattern to 1-2-3/OD, and also installed a TransGo shift kit. I believe one of the biggest complaints of the AOD is the shift pattern, and the fact that it's easy to burn it up doing the 1-2-1 shift to hold second (which is remedied by the simple-to-do epoxy mod).

I'd honestly keep the AOD. The Lokar linkage is pretty simple to setup, and they actually can hold some power with light modification.
to hold second ? what does that mean ?

do you have a link to the epoxy mod and info on the TransGo shift kit ? I'm going to run this AOD behind a 400-425hp 306 with a 8.8 rear end with a 373 gear in my 68. I want to get the transmission right the first time before I put it in. It was just rebuilt.

thanks
Old 06-18-2012, 02:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

I haven't driven mine yet, it was already 'built' with better clutches, bands, etc. when I bought it to handle 500hp (I may push 400). Like Gypsy Ii like the simplicity of the AOD and didn't want to have to buy /fiddle with a computer. I added a custom valve body from Silverfox. I got the SPT-R with OD lockout. I will be able to turn off OD if I'm running 1/4 mi. and only want it to shift 1-2-3. It also has an adjustment to set the WOT shift points in an 800rpm range. I am really looking forward to testing it.
VB AOD

Go to clickclick racing as posted above and you will see plenty of info on the epoxy mod.

Jon
1967 Coupe 333ci CandyApple Red w/red int., AOD, 9" 3.50:1, Front PDB
'09 Warriors In Pink V6 w/glass roof - wife's Stang
JonK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2012, 03:49 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonK View Post
I haven't driven mine yet, it was already 'built' with better clutches, bands, etc. when I bought it to handle 500hp (I may push 400). Like Gypsy Ii like the simplicity of the AOD and didn't want to have to buy /fiddle with a computer. I added a custom valve body from Silverfox. I got the SPT-R with OD lockout. I will be able to turn off OD if I'm running 1/4 mi. and only want it to shift 1-2-3. It also has an adjustment to set the WOT shift points in an 800rpm range. I am really looking forward to testing it.
VB AOD

Go to clickclick racing as posted above and you will see plenty of info on the epoxy mod.

Jon

that's good info.. so what is the difference in the SPT-R w/ OD lockout vs the SPT-MVB ?

I'd like my AOD to act like my C4 with the switch to turn on OD.

Who else sells manual valve bodies ? Any concerns with running one with a 2,500 non lock up stall converter ?
Old 06-22-2012, 11:47 AM   #12 (permalink)

does the AOD require any specific headers, or will my Hooker Comps I have now with my c4 also work with the AOD ?
Old 06-22-2012, 12:12 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68_GT View Post
does the AOD require any specific headers, or will my Hooker Comps I have now with my c4 also work with the AOD ?
I just purchased these today. Best ones I could find for price to fit the AOD

The Sanderson FF3GTS header set is designed to fit small block Ford 289-302 engines in 1964-68 Ford Mustangs using GT40 cylinder heads

You'll notice there is an option to select AOD

"Suzie"
Modifications:
5.0, AOD, 6 to 8 Conversion, Frame connectors, Shelby drop, GT valance, roller perches, Borgeson Steering, 04' Wheels, 07' Mustang seats, etc
ezstang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2012, 11:05 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
to hold second ? what does that mean ?
The AOD has 3 gear selector positions: 1, 2/3, OD. That's all fine and well for everyday driving, but doesn't help for high-performance driving, when you'll likely want to hold 2nd. Fox Mustang guys found that by shifting from 1st to second, then quickly back to first, they could get the AOD to hold second. The problem with this is that it taxes the transmission, reducing its life greatly. The epoxy mod basically makes the shift pattern 1-2-3/OD, where OD won't engage if you're accelerating.

Talk to SilverFox over at clickclickracing, or go to his website (www.silverfoxtrans.com). He'll get you squared away if you want to go with a modified valve body and/or OD switch.

Quote:
info on the TransGo shift kit
Here's a link to the TransGo kit. They've also got a video (circa 1987) that helps with installation, as the instructions aren't the best.

Quote:
does the AOD require any specific headers
I bought the same headers as ez, but for GT40P heads. I'm pretty sure the collector location is the same, however. Here's a link to some pics I posted of how they fit, albeit with a C4. I am concerned with the passenger-side collector, as the AOD flange is quite a bit thicker.
hookemdevils22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.