Best AC System ?? - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 07:36 PM

I'm looking to install A/C in my 68 soon. I was looking at Vintage Air because I was thinking about upgrading to the dakota digital climate control later on. Do either of the other systems have similar control upgrades?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 10:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageUpgrades View Post
For the 67-68, the CAA or OAP. All three have kits for Mustangs; some work better in certain years than the others.
May I ask what it is about the CAA kit for the 67-68 that works better?
I'm in the last stages of my next project's 'planning stage' and this is one of the areas I am undecided on.
Thanks!
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 12:57 AM

i used VA-- i liked the controls more-- between VA and CAA its very close .. CAA would cater more to custom than VA-- but for VA you can buy the Gen4 underdash kit and then ala carte the dryer - condensor if your doing custom lines..

i did a group buy on VA a while ago and can still get the deal if anyone wants that brand still..

Mike
64.5 vert rust free survivor :
Stacked EFI- Ford strokers 347
Hydroboost/InfinityBox /Coilovers
4 link rear w/17 x 9's
13" custom brakes

64.5 Vert (all original sheetmetal)
68 survivor vert- 5.0 AOD wifes driver
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3363178 64.5 build
www.cartelclassics.com (all will eventually load here)

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcane73 View Post
May I ask what it is about the CAA kit for the 67-68 that works better?
I'm in the last stages of my next project's 'planning stage' and this is one of the areas I am undecided on.
Thanks!
The VA system works great. It just doesn't look that good in a 67-8. The vents do not fit well and the hose routing under the hood is a bit chaotic. The CAA works great and looks better. The VA issues can be fixed in short order, but for a drop-in system with no extra work, I would go with the CAA.

Mitch
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 11:40 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageUpgrades View Post
The VA system works great. It just doesn't look that good in a 67-8. The vents do not fit well and the hose routing under the hood is a bit chaotic. The CAA works great and looks better. The VA issues can be fixed in short order, but for a drop-in system with no extra work, I would go with the CAA.
Thanks Mitch!
That will help me mark that off of my list of things to decide on.
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 04:26 PM

Vintage Air

I also have the Vintage Air in my 68 and I live down in Sacramento, Ca.
Blows very cold but I also don't like how the vents fit (in the dash).
Something I will probably tackle next summer.

RME
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonebooth View Post
i used VA-- i liked the controls more-- between VA and CAA its very close .. CAA would cater more to custom than VA-- but for VA you can buy the Gen4 underdash kit and then ala carte the dryer - condensor if your doing custom lines..

i did a group buy on VA a while ago and can still get the deal if anyone wants that brand still..
CAA did me a custom set up giving me a larger condenser and I made my own lines.

1966 GT Fastback, restoration almost there! Code T Red with White LeMans stripes.
2015 GT Fastback - Deep Impact Blue
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsGT View Post
CAA did me a custom set up giving me a larger condenser and I made my own lines.
I'm interested in this. Why did you go with a larger condenser? I hate the heat down here and I really hope I don't shell out $1500 and it stops cooling at lights or cant keep up on 105* days. Yes, It's scheduled to get to 105 this week. I would love to get an oversized condenser if I could.

-z
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 10:13 PM

I have a 68 Vert with Deluxe interior, console, and the Convenience Control Panel in the middle of the dash where air vents might otherwise be located. I'm already leaning toward CAA. How can you get enough vents installed with my equipment. Will I have to remove the Convenience Panel? Also, will these systems work okay with a 200-6cyl engine? Will it require an upgraded radiator?
VintageUpgrades, have you done an install like mine? About what would an install cost? This would be a full install on a car that has never had A/C.
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenster View Post
Will I have to remove the Convenience Panel? Also, will these systems work okay with a 200-6cyl engine? Will it require an upgraded radiator?
VintageUpgrades, have you done an install like mine? About what would an install cost? This would be a full install on a car that has never had A/C.
PM sent.

Mitch
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 11:51 PM

88cougargt,

I live in Memphis so I feel you on the heat and just purchased the CAA system for my 67 coupe, that never came with factory air. I am at about 95% through the install having worked on it off and on over the weekend. Here are my thoughts. Parts are seperated into groups for the phases of the install which makes the process go smoothly. If your a complete novice at AC work the instructions can be a little confusing at times but diffinately not a show stopper. I had zero problems with fitment of anything at all. With this system you are adding a lot of duct work and wiring you didnt have before which all go in easily and fit well, just put some extra time into laying it in right so you dont have to worry about it later. One of the great features of this system is the ability to use your original heater/fan controls. My last suggestion would be to go to a thermal clutch fan. They push a ton of air, and with the addition of the condenser if front of the radiator, the more air the better.

I soon as i have completed the install i will add some pics of component fittment.

- 67 Coupe, 289, C4, Diamond Blue, 2 Tone Blue Interior
- 2 Owners - Grandad then Me
- Restoration nearly finished
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 06:58 PM

I know this is an old thread, but looking to revive it as I have not seen much for recent discussion. I have a 67 coupe, used to have air on it, everything is still inside of the car, someone just previously ripped it out of under the hood. I want to put A/C back on the car and probably will be replacing even what is inside of the car as the cables are a little hard to move around currently. Has anyone's opinions changed over the last several years since the last post on here? What A/C kit would you pick?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page