Best AC System ?? - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
jmb

Best AC System ??

I am looking for an AC system for my 66 mustang and wanted to know your opinions on which one you guys think is the better one to go with.
I am currently looking at Vintage Air and Classic Auto Air.

Are these the TWO BEST AC systems available for the vintage mustang ?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 03:18 PM

I think you will hear lots of positives for both. I just purchased the CAA for my 67.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwkenf View Post
I think you will hear lots of positives for both. I just purchased the CAA for my 67.
I'm interested in peoples reposnes to the Classic Auto Air kit but preferably from people in warmer climates (no offence kwkenf, I miss northern Michigan personally). I was looking at the CAA last week. Vintage air is right here in town but I've heard it's not as complete an install as the CAA.

It was 112* here the other day. I've double insulated my cab but I still wouldn't expect the AC to pull it down to 10*. (1x layer dynomat, 1x layer Reflectix, jute, carpet). If it could maintain 75* in 100 that would be the bee's knees.

-Z

Last edited by 88cougargt; 07-16-2012 at 04:35 PM.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 05:50 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to txtrailerdaddy1
88cougar, I'm in SA as well. I JUST ordered the Perfect Fit Elite system from CAA today. I had tried calling Vintage. I was on hold for over 30 min and never got to talk to someone. CAA is up near Dallas. I asked why they thought they were better than VA and it had to do with using copper inside the coils vs all Aluminum and something about how their system is an unrestricted airflow setup where VA has a baffle. I had the same concern as you due to the heat here but feel pretty comfortable going with CAA. I'm also dynomatting the entire car so that will help as well.

1967 Base coupe w/ Fox Body 5.0 EFI, AOD, 5 spring leafs for the rear, new upper and lower arms & bushings, 1" sway bar, Shelby drop, KYB gas-adjust shocks x4, Borgeson P/S, CAA A/C, AAW wiring harness, RJM EFI harness, 20 gal fuel tank, VHX Digital Dakota gauges, Tin Man sub frame connectors, 2.5" Magnaflow dual exhaust. http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/build-forum/646872-my-build.html
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 05:58 PM

Hey, cool (pun intended). When you get it all installed I want to check it out. Maybe meet up for a cruise in or something. Ever been to Soda Pops in Boerne? I'm planning on taking the bike (or the mustang if it will co-operate) sometime soon. Car cruise in on Sat evenings I believe.

Soda Pops - About Us - Boerne, TX
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 08:31 PM

I went with CAA. I made the decision a while back before VA came out with their new design. I did read that CAA blows a lot more CFM.

1966 GT Fastback, restoration almost there! Code T Red with White LeMans stripes.
2015 GT Fastback - Deep Impact Blue
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 09:31 PM

The three best we have used are Vintage Air, Classic Auto Air, and Old Air Products. I have done a few dozen of each, and the following is my opinion. For the 65-66, the CAA works best. For the 67-68, the CAA or OAP. For the 69-70, VA. For the 71-73, CAA. All three have kits for Mustangs; some work better in certain years than the others. Get the electronic controls over the cable versions.

Mitch
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
jmb

VintageUpgrades,

My car is a 66 Mustang BUT I am installing a Coyote 5.0 motor with a T56 Magnum transmission. Because of clearance issues and because we wanted to install the motor as far back as possible we cut the whole firewall out and replaced it with a flat firewall. We really did not move the firewall farther back , we just removed the bulge on the passengers side of the firewall.

We also had to rise the transmission tunnel about 2 inches because of the T56 Trans.

So in my situation I will have to use a custom unit . CAA told me that I would probobly have to use their Custom Colder or the Street Rod Cooler III .

Perfect Fit Catalog

Do you have experience with these units ?
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 11:24 PM

I really like my Vintage Air system that I have in my 65. It blows cold and I like the way it fits under the dash.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 11:33 PM

The Custom Colder will work well. You can still use the stock controls. We are building a very similar car right now. SH 6.0 with a dominator and a T56.

Mitch
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
jmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageUpgrades View Post
The Custom Colder will work well. You can still use the stock controls. We are building a very similar car right now. SH 6.0 with a dominator and a T56.
I only have 8 inches of room from the top of the trans tunnel to the inside plate under the dash.
I think the Custom Colder is taller than 8 inches. I think it is 9 1/2 if im not mistaken.
The Street Rod Cooler III is smaller and from the looks of it i'm pretty sure will fit but since it is smaller it might not cool as good.

How many inches do you have from the top of the trans tunnel to the underside of the dash ?
Did you have to raise the trans tunnel about 2 inches like me ?
Do you have some pictures ?
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 02:52 AM Thread Starter
jmb

VintageUpgrades,

Sent you a PM.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 07:46 AM

Thought I would tag along in this thread if that is OK...

Through a couple of trades I ended up with a March Pulley system with their Sanden 7176 chrome A/C compressor. Will that make a difference to which kit I should purchase? I have a '66 coupe.

1968 Fastback: 331 stroker, FTI cam, N351 Heads with a few upgrades, 4r70w w/3600 stall, 9" locker w/3.70 gears

Last edited by 66resto; 07-19-2012 at 07:57 AM.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 11:54 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to txtrailerdaddy1
If you call CAA, they are extremely helpful and will cater the system to what you need.

1967 Base coupe w/ Fox Body 5.0 EFI, AOD, 5 spring leafs for the rear, new upper and lower arms & bushings, 1" sway bar, Shelby drop, KYB gas-adjust shocks x4, Borgeson P/S, CAA A/C, AAW wiring harness, RJM EFI harness, 20 gal fuel tank, VHX Digital Dakota gauges, Tin Man sub frame connectors, 2.5" Magnaflow dual exhaust. http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/build-forum/646872-my-build.html

Last edited by txtrailerdaddy1; 07-19-2012 at 11:55 AM. Reason: to clarify
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
jmb

VintageUpgrades,

Where are your pictures?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page