Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: On the road in NE Oklahoma
when I changed to an msd ready-to-run distributor the following changes occurred:
1) car was easier starting
2) better gas mileage, + 3 mpg.
3) easier to tune when I made other changes ( added vintage Paxton, changed carbs. etc)
several years later I added a msd box, the digital 6, which I would recommend over the 6AL box. The addition of the box yielded:
1) wayyyy easier starting in hot weather. The digital 6+ box has a 20 degree start retard feature. It is incredible how much faster the engine spins with that much ignition retard for starting, maybe 2 or 3 times faster.
2) Hotter spark, or multiple sparks maybe, whatever the cause, now the engine was burning fuel more completely. The rpm at idle picked up considerably.
3) gained another +4 mpg, for a total of 7 mpg over the stock ignition system (Both systems were mechanical advance only). With a vacuum advance distributor, there should be even better results.
The above results were overshadowed by the great reliability of the msd products. In comparison my experiences were Pertronix were disappointing. Obviously, others have not had the same failure rate that I did with Pertronix (two units, a I and a II). I used them on two different cars, both failed within six months.
Last edited by zray; 08-23-2012 at 11:13 PM.