What did you do to/for your Mustang today? - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums

186Likes

post #16 of 1794 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 04:51 AM

I did a little bit of everything today, started sanding some, pulled the cheap old shifter out, got the headers bolted back on, put in new plugs, dropped in the new MSD distributor, and got the wires made up and ran. I was going to get the flywheel, clutch, starter, and 5 speed put in, but I realized I didn't have the right bolts to get it all together. I also picked up the rebuilt rear differential with the new Tru-Trac, but wasn't able to assemble the rear axle and get the 4 link all bolted up since the axle shafts weren't done yet. Also found out that my old 14" air cleaner doesn't fit with the new distributor, so I'll have to find a 12" or something smaller.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 1794 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frdnut View Post
Must be nice..I'm about to put mine to bed for about 7 months.
Haha....well, it was real nice here this weekend, with temps in the mid 70s. This was the last outting of the year, and the year ended well .

post #18 of 1794 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 05:58 PM

I installed these parts from Street or Track.

This camber kit is next since I now have + camber

Tom

I'm not a complete idiot, pieces are missing.

post #19 of 1794 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 06:06 PM

Filled it full of wet leaves. All of the forecasts said no rain, they were wrong.

I've really got to crack down and get glass and a top installed.

post #20 of 1794 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 09:48 AM

Overall, my winter is going to be busy. I've pulled the 200 out finally, and have a 302 roller block with TW170 heads and TFS1 cam ready to go. Rotating assembly is together, but haven't put much else on. Have the engine covered while I clean up the engine bay, patch a few areas of bad metal, put in subframe connectors, hydraulic clutch, power brakes, and EFI.

This week, my goal is to clean up my piss poor welds on the first subframe connector (using Tinman) and start installing the 2nd one. Then it's to the fuel tank modifications for EFI.

Slade & The KaStang

Current
200 CI, T5, Comp Cam 260H ,Dual Exhaust Headers, OZ 250/2V head, Holley 390 4V, DS2 Ignition w/ MSD Digital 6+, GT 5 lug disc brakes, 8" rear end, V-8 Steering

Current Project:
5.0 EFI with Megasquirt, BBK SSI intake Manifold, Trickflow TW170 AL Heads, TF Stage 1 Cam...and a quiet as hell exhaust. Want it to sound like an I6...

"It's not how fast you go...but how go you fast"
post #21 of 1794 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 10:19 AM

Thumbdown

changed the oil, gave her a lube job, washed,waxed, topped off with fuel and added fuel stabilizer.. basically put her to bed until spring. At least she sits in a climate controlled garage about 45-50F all winter. sadly probably ill have to put her up for sale in the spring due to lack of funds.
post #22 of 1794 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 10:48 AM

I corralled a smaller crank pulley to fit inside the Hipo balancer so I can finally get her running. I also installed the Mustangs to Fear one piece headliner and started installing the rear fold down seat trim panels. Last item before starting the engine is to hook up the batter, top of the fluids and check for any leaks before her maiden start-up.

1967 K Code GT Fastback
1992 LX 5.0 Convt
2010 Mustang GT Convt
2003 Lightning
2010 Ford Flex (Wish the wife had opted for the twin turbo)
post #23 of 1794 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskinhano View Post
I installed these parts from Street or Track.

This camber kit is next since I now have + camber

Nice. How much did all that cost?
post #24 of 1794 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

I fixed the engine ground, now she starts up nice and strong. I installed the black Monte Carlo bar, as well.

I attempted to put on a carb spacer. Didn't workout... the spacer I bought didnt have the holes in the right spot. I'll have to pick up another one; probably edlebrock, since that's what my intake mani is. Hopefully that can be done by the end of the day, or tomorrow morning, latest.
post #25 of 1794 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarmac_69_Mustang View Post
Nice. How much did all that cost?
Off the top of my head, about $1400. The quality of the parts is outstanding.

Tom

I'm not a complete idiot, pieces are missing.
post #26 of 1794 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 07:48 PM

Pulled a couple of old instrument clusters down from the attic getting ready to do a mock up for the new Autometer 5 inch tach, electric speedo, temp, gas and oil pressure gages.

I'm also getting ready to install a new big block aluminum rad and do an install of an American Autowire total wiring kit with a trunk mount battery.
It's going to be long busy winter.

Modified 68 Mustang convertible, 331,AOD, MCA Red Grille Medallion, 2014 MCA Pinnacle Award Driven class
05 Mustang, MCA Grand National Gold
post #27 of 1794 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Cleaned her up a bit and put in a new gasket.

Which carb do I have? I tried looking it up and a few others with similar part #s (not exact) came up.

post #28 of 1794 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Put new steering bits in; some of those parts didn't want to come out! Cars steering definitely feels better now, I just need a new/rebuilt steering box.

Also put in longer rear bolt studs so I can put in a 3/4" spacer (or something close to that). It took forever to get those new bolts to sit right with the wheel... all of 4 hours! but now i Know what needs to be done, so it would definitely be faster if I ever do it again. Definitely helped the stance. Waiting for the front hubcentric spacer to come in for the front, to give it that nice square look.

Might be ordering a few parts later:
SoT 1 1/8" Sway bar
SoT Shelby drop kit
SoT lower control arm camber kit

And maybe SoT front performance springs.

1969 Ford Mustang Coupe; 351w (5.8L) carb engine; Champion 4 row aluminum radiator; Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake Manifold; Edelbrock 750 CFM Carb; Crager Wheels; 215/60-15 front tires, 255/60-15 rear tires; Doug Tri-Y Headers; Custom Dual Side Exit Exhaust w/Xpipe; MSD 6AL; Electric Fuel Pump; March Performance U/D Pulley Set; Curved Monte Carlo Bar.

Connect with me on social media
post #29 of 1794 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 07:31 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsroof69 View Post
Haha....well, it was real nice here this weekend, with temps in the mid 70s. This was the last outting of the year, and the year ended well .

Man your getting my blood flowing looking at that time slip. Been a long time since i've been to the tracK---building up a 351W 40 over this winter and would love to get back to the strip next year. Also putting in a narrowed 9'' with 4.86 gears (sorry, we run the eighth here) That thing runs dam good there-- Might have to work on that reaction time a little. LOL (just kiddin)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 70 FB trophies.jpg (96.8 KB, 10 views)

Mildly built 302, 4 speed, 3.40 gears. 6 pt. cage.
Narrow rear. Pro-Stars-15X7'' & 15X10'' on rear.
Lowered 1'' all around.
www.usedmustangparts.net
post #30 of 1794 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsehead View Post
Man your getting my blood flowing looking at that time slip. Been a long time since i've been to the tracK---building up a 351W 40 over this winter and would love to get back to the strip next year. Also putting in a narrowed 9'' with 4.86 gears (sorry, we run the eighth here) That thing runs dam good there-- Might have to work on that reaction time a little. LOL (just kiddin)
Lol, .121 isn't bad for someone who isn't a regular bracket racer, especially considering that was a .400 pro tree. I was actually more impressed with the 1/8 than the 1/4. It killed it in the 1/8, but the weight and lack of aerodynamics show up on the backhalf. Maybe I'll just have to make more power

I drive mine entirely too much to run a 4.86, so I use a 3.70. I can't really use anymore gear running it out the back door, because I'm going through the traps at 7000 RPMs now, with a hydraulic roller...lol

Keep us updated on the project, and get it to the track and beat on it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page