Vintage Mustang Forums banner

What did you do to/for your Mustang today?

521K views 6K replies 658 participants last post by  66Camino 
#1 ·
Let's try and keep this going, anything you do to your car, whether it be new brakes, wax or floor mats, share it here! Pictures of the finished product is ok too! Just share away. :)

I'll start.

Installed a MSD 6AL.

#4 ·
The 65 coupe:
Awaiting mustang steve clutch cable conversion/power brake mod- pedals out and blasted, got a new (ok used) t5, and preparing to repair lower outer wheelhouse, and both rear qtrs.

The 69 vert: prob nothing- though I would like to crank it up, maybe go round the block if I have time.

#5 ·
Last night I installed new firewall pad after adding foil backed insulation to help block heat and this morning I installed the Classic Auto Air box under the dash. I tried to reinstall the wiper motor and harness and discovered I gave away my wiper harness with the under dash harness. So off to Pull A Part in the morning for the upgrade/mod with the F-150 system.

#8 ·
Last part of the internal strip out - ripped out the interior wiring from my 70 Mach 1, engine/box out next week or so!
Then the real welding starts.......
Chris

#9 ·
Gave mine the day off but it's getting a bath and vacuum tomorrow!

#10 ·
Now that Hurricane Sandy has passed and my power is restored (after 4 days), my old horse got a fresh coat of epoxy primer and 2 coats of high build polyester primer (Evercoat Featherfill). Up for tomorrow: start block sanding.

Reactions: Bwstangman1966
#13 ·
Installed "Wild Rides", battle boxes on the torque boxes in the rear {Fox Mustang}, then welded the tubes on the 8.8 rear, then welded braces to the tubes, and somewhere in between I pulled a muscle in my back so today, I'm just sitting around.

#14 ·
bought a replacement outer wheelwell for the 66. Haven't done much for it lately due to starting a new Job that's 40+ hrs/week and helping my brother finish up the transmission swap in his Mach 1. :crybaby: In other news my parents won a 250 gift cert at Mustang's Plus TMI upholstery. :thumbsup:

#16 ·
I did a little bit of everything today, started sanding some, pulled the cheap old shifter out, got the headers bolted back on, put in new plugs, dropped in the new MSD distributor, and got the wires made up and ran. I was going to get the flywheel, clutch, starter, and 5 speed put in, but I realized I didn't have the right bolts to get it all together. I also picked up the rebuilt rear differential with the new Tru-Trac, but wasn't able to assemble the rear axle and get the 4 link all bolted up since the axle shafts weren't done yet. Also found out that my old 14" air cleaner doesn't fit with the new distributor, so I'll have to find a 12" or something smaller.

#23 ·
Nice. How much did all that cost?

#20 ·
Overall, my winter is going to be busy. I've pulled the 200 out finally, and have a 302 roller block with TW170 heads and TFS1 cam ready to go. Rotating assembly is together, but haven't put much else on. Have the engine covered while I clean up the engine bay, patch a few areas of bad metal, put in subframe connectors, hydraulic clutch, power brakes, and EFI.

This week, my goal is to clean up my piss poor welds on the first subframe connector (using Tinman) and start installing the 2nd one. Then it's to the fuel tank modifications for EFI.

#21 ·
changed the oil, gave her a lube job, washed,waxed, topped off with fuel and added fuel stabilizer.. basically put her to bed until spring. At least she sits in a climate controlled garage about 45-50F all winter. sadly probably ill have to put her up for sale in the spring due to lack of funds.

#22 ·
I corralled a smaller crank pulley to fit inside the Hipo balancer so I can finally get her running. I also installed the Mustangs to Fear one piece headliner and started installing the rear fold down seat trim panels. Last item before starting the engine is to hook up the batter, top of the fluids and check for any leaks before her maiden start-up.

#24 ·
I fixed the engine ground, now she starts up nice and strong. I installed the black Monte Carlo bar, as well.

I attempted to put on a carb spacer. Didn't workout... the spacer I bought didnt have the holes in the right spot. I'll have to pick up another one; probably edlebrock, since that's what my intake mani is. Hopefully that can be done by the end of the day, or tomorrow morning, latest.

#26 ·
Pulled a couple of old instrument clusters down from the attic getting ready to do a mock up for the new Autometer 5 inch tach, electric speedo, temp, gas and oil pressure gages.

I'm also getting ready to install a new big block aluminum rad and do an install of an American Autowire total wiring kit with a trunk mount battery.
It's going to be long busy winter.

#27 ·
Cleaned her up a bit and put in a new gasket.

Which carb do I have? I tried looking it up and a few others with similar part #s (not exact) came up.

#28 ·
Put new steering bits in; some of those parts didn't want to come out! Cars steering definitely feels better now, I just need a new/rebuilt steering box.

Also put in longer rear bolt studs so I can put in a 3/4" spacer (or something close to that). It took forever to get those new bolts to sit right with the wheel... all of 4 hours! but now i Know what needs to be done, so it would definitely be faster if I ever do it again. Definitely helped the stance. Waiting for the front hubcentric spacer to come in for the front, to give it that nice square look.

Might be ordering a few parts later:
SoT 1 1/8" Sway bar
SoT Shelby drop kit
SoT lower control arm camber kit

And maybe SoT front performance springs.

#31 · (Edited)
I still miss the old .500 lights of yore. The conversion for the armchair quarter backs to understand to a .000 light still doesn't jive. Yes..............I know its been years, but I don't conform easily. Still don't like the 1000ft runs either :D

Not bad short time for leaf springs, right?

Just to make this on topic, I pushed my 94' upto garage opening and started the conversion over to E85 1000cfm carb. Switching from Dominator bowls to Ultra HP bowls so waiting on -8AN fittings rather than the 7/8-20's of past. While I'm ranting above about changes....why do they need so many different fitting sizes for the bowls, as my Demon carbs are different yet?

#33 ·
I still miss the old .500 lights of yore. The conversion for the armchair quarter backs to understand to a .000 light still doesn't jive. Yes..............I know its been years, but I don't conform easily. Still don't like the 1000ft runs either :D

Not bad short time for leaf springs, right?
Lol...I think it's just because it makes it easier to read. Doesn't really matter to me I guess.

Yep. Leaf spring with CalTracs, bone stock front suspension with 90/10 shocks. We definitely don't do 1000' runs here. It's either 1/4, or 1/8, and I'll run either. Honestly, the car has no business going 134 MPH anyways.