4.6 swap, ECM question - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Mod and Custom Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-18-2012, 11:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 4.6 swap, ECM question

i'm wanting to transplant a 1995 mark 8 4.6 DOHC engine and transmission. i have the complete car and would like to use the EEC-IV ECM without the emmisions, anti theft, air bags and stuff. the stock tune would be fine for my use. i know this ECM is not programmable, is there a way to do this or would i need to buy a later model ECM that is programmable?
macpeppers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 08:11 AM   #2 (permalink)

hey man I am working on the same swap. I have a 95 markviii that I am pulling the motor and transmission and putting into a 65. I am planning on using the the original computer unless I get told otherwise. I am getting it ready for paint now, but once that is done I will dive off into to full motor install. Sorry I don't have a definant answer for you, but I am sure some of the other more experieced will chime in.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:26 AM   #3 (permalink)

If you're using a stock Mark VIII motor and just want to defeat PATS and eliminate some emissions stuff, some tuning shops can burn a chip that plugs into the diagnostic port on the ECM. If you want to play with it yourself (say with Delta Force's Sniper software, which is a very good DIY kit), go with an EEC-V system from a 96-98 Mark VIII or Cobra (if you plan to use the IMRC plates). 97-98 Mark VIII have COP ignition though (which, if you change the valve covers and get the coils is much cleaner - no wires). The Cobra setup won't handle the automatic transmission (since the Cobras were all manual). If you are defeating the IMRC setup, you can use the ECM and harness from a Mustang GT, or pretty much any 96-98 Ford V8 with an automatic, and retune it (for larger injectors, MAF, etc. of the DOHC motor). If you go with a later ECM, you'll need the wiring harnesses as well, since they are different. I used 01 Cobra electronics in mine but when I was planning to switch to an automatic (which I never got around to doing) I was going to use a 99-04 Mustang GT ECM (since I could reuse the harnesses with some modifications).

Bottom line easiest solutions: Get a chip burned for your ECM if making minor changes or find a 96 Mark VIII ECM and harness and it's pretty much plug and play.

There is a lot of good info on this site: http://oldfuelinjection.com/?p=88

Last edited by ozarks06; 11-21-2012 at 10:36 AM.
ozarks06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 09:20 AM   #4 (permalink)

Something else to consider......
The TwEECer -- EEC-IV user programmable module

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r...DSC00446-1.jpg

65 Fastback 68 AWD Vert 68Gt500KR 71J code Mach One 72 Mach One 73 Mach One 93 Fox 1943 Diamond T M3A2 08 F250SD 08 Mustang and one Toyota Prius
67 Evil Eleanor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 04:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

Sounds like a hard conversion
ryme4reson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 07:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

Lots of good info here too: http://www.modularfords.com/f30/
Old 11-24-2012, 09:07 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarks06 View Post
If you're using a stock Mark VIII motor and just want to defeat PATS and eliminate some emissions stuff, some tuning shops can burn a chip that plugs into the diagnostic port on the ECM. If you want to play with it yourself (say with Delta Force's Sniper software, which is a very good DIY kit), go with an EEC-V system from a 96-98 Mark VIII or Cobra (if you plan to use the IMRC plates). 97-98 Mark VIII have COP ignition though (which, if you change the valve covers and get the coils is much cleaner - no wires). The Cobra setup won't handle the automatic transmission (since the Cobras were all manual). If you are defeating the IMRC setup, you can use the ECM and harness from a Mustang GT, or pretty much any 96-98 Ford V8 with an automatic, and retune it (for larger injectors, MAF, etc. of the DOHC motor). If you go with a later ECM, you'll need the wiring harnesses as well, since they are different. I used 01 Cobra electronics in mine but when I was planning to switch to an automatic (which I never got around to doing) I was going to use a 99-04 Mustang GT ECM (since I could reuse the harnesses with some modifications).

Bottom line easiest solutions: Get a chip burned for your ECM if making minor changes or find a 96 Mark VIII ECM and harness and it's pretty much plug and play.

There is a lot of good info on this site: Fuel Injection Technical Library 4.6L harness
thanks ozark, if i had a newer version of the mark 8 with the eec-v i would probably do more but i've already got this 95 and need to use it and diet my own harness. i'm putting it in a 2,900 lb 55 tbird and i'm up in my years, so the stock tuned 280hp is probably more than i'll ever use. that chip that plugs into the diag port sounds like just what i need, could you point me to a tuner that builds them? i'm new to all this and most of the info i'm finding with my searches are more toward retuning for more hp and all i want to do is run the engine with only the essentials.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:23 AM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to My427stang

I run an EEC-IV on my 489 inch FE. I use a Moates Quarterhorse. People tend to like it more than the Tweecr, but both will do the job.

I am not sure how it would adapt to a modular motor, but the aftermarket chips do allow you to program for almost any combination. For example, I am running a GM LS MAF with the EEC-IV, all you need to do is program for the parts you have
13 Ram 2500 Laramie Quad Cab 6.7 diesel
My427stang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 06:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunacon View Post
hey man I am working on the same swap. I have a 95 markviii that I am pulling the motor and transmission and putting into a 65. I am planning on using the the original computer unless I get told otherwise. I am getting it ready for paint now, but once that is done I will dive off into to full motor install. Sorry I don't have a definant answer for you, but I am sure some of the other more experieced will chime in.
hey tunacon, i just noticed you're in luling, i lived there from 1990 to 1996 working construction around the area. it's a great place, i've got some good friends there.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

Consider a $900 aftermarket harness? All the hard stuff is done, you will get everything you need, tec support, and clean reliable modern setup. When your done pulling all the harness and wires out of the doner car, you will not be able to lift all of it over your head! I have tried! Thats how much there is to deal with. Some people just live to tackle harnesses like this...Im not one of them.
MYTANG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 11:51 PM   #11 (permalink)

I did this conversion using a 98 Mark VIII/Cobra 4.6 DOHC with a 4r70w in my 69 Bronco, it is not really that bad. I used SCT Pro Racer to eliminate PATS and turn off the unnecessary emissions items. I also built a custom tune for the factory ECM using the tool. You have to know your ECM code and Pro racer locks you to that code but its inexpensive for the level of programming you get.
Let me know if you have any questions, I have a write up over on classicbroncos.com.
Dennis

Last edited by dnewman9; 11-28-2012 at 11:53 PM.
dnewman9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 01:35 AM   #12 (permalink)

ozark: Why do you say go with EEC-V? Reason I ask if I have EEC-IV right now (haven't even really driven the car) but debating my future options.
JohnnyK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 10:14 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
ozark: Why do you say go with EEC-V? Reason I ask if I have EEC-IV right now (haven't even really driven the car) but debating my future options.
EEC-V allows programming via the data bus where EEC-IV requires plugging a chip into the diagnostic port. If you ever want to tinker with tuning yourself, or may change things up later on (e.g. adding a blower or nitrous), it's a lot easier (and probably cheaper) with EEC-V. As I noted above, you can buy Delta Force Special Forces software for about $300-350 and you just select your setup from drop-down lists - injector size, turn off PATS, MAF being used, etc. It allows quite a bit of end-user tuning but will create a safe tune that probably gets you 95+% of what you'd get with a full dyno tune. The interface box also allows you to store up to 6 tunes and download them into the ECM as needed (not usually needed, but I had an E85 summer tune, E85 winter tune, 91 octane safe backup tune [in case I was out and couldn't find E85], and a 91 octane performance tune).

If you are keeping it pretty much stock and just want to turn off PATS and some emissions things (like the vapor purge canister solenoid) it probably makes sense to just have a chip burned for your EEC-IV system. That kind of thing can be done mail-order.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:20 AM   #14 (permalink)

macpeppers, hadn't checked this thread in a while but I have lived here since 05 it is a great place I am in willowridge subdivision. How is your conversion going? My car is getting primed and then I will start pulling the motor and transmission out of the lincoln. Have you pulled yours out yet? Any tips?
Old 12-17-2012, 08:24 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunacon View Post
macpeppers, hadn't checked this thread in a while but I have lived here since 05 it is a great place I am in willowridge subdivision. How is your conversion going? My car is getting primed and then I will start pulling the motor and transmission out of the lincoln. Have you pulled yours out yet? Any tips?
i lived on evergreen, off lakewood dr., they were just building willowridge when i left, i know right where you're at. do you get many gaters in your yard? i'm doing body work and haven't pulled the lincoln motor. i start it up every couple of days and listen to it run. the pipes are cut behind the cats and it sounds good. i've got a lift and i think i'll take it out the bottom. looks like you can remove a few bolts and crossmembers and raise the body. i'm going to build a cradle for the motor and trans to stay together and roll around the shop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.