Edit: this is my collection off pics and info off my local site since i found this one I posted them here. this project started last october. )
This is gonna be a long on going project ! Ive had this car since I was 11 years old my grandpa left it to me when he passed away . This car has been sitting in a shed since I can rember . He wanted me to have the car because I took such a liking to it and as a kid I would sit in it and pretend to drive it .
The last 3 years Ive been collecting parts as I found deals on them . So far I have a not built yet but freshley machined roller block 306 , dss forged pistons and arp rod bolts ,very ported 2.02 valve performers ,efi holley sysemax intake , x 303 cam ,70mm tb ,long tubes ,march style brackets .Also have an a9p and harnes out of a 93 fox . Trans will be an AOD with lentech valve body and PI convertor . Rear is an 8.8 out of an exlporer 3.73 lsd and disc brakes. I also got a mustang steve retro fit cobra braket kit to put cobra front brakes on a classic mustang .Anyway me and "pops" my dad pulled it out of the shed last sunday and started working on it . Heres some pics Not sure on the color yet but original is out as it was antique bronze and that isnt happening . Right now im thinking maybe red and black out all the chrome trim and do the bumpers body color or maybe the blue like the year one mustang has on it .
sitting in the shed since early 90's
trans is an aod with 4r70w internals lentech vb and Pi converter think the stall will be around 3000 .Excuse the messy shop that's how I roll . Hope to get it put in the car this weekend So I can start fabbing the cross member drive shaft , wiring , and fuel lines brake lines and on and on .
We got a little more work done. The engine bay is painted black semi gloss other than I need to finish a patch panel where I cut out where the battery went as it had caused some rust.Im gonna relocate it to the rear . The motor and trans are in along with a modified trans crossmember for the AOD. I also Modified the the brake petal assembly to use a foxbody brake booster and i will also be using a sn95 master cyl as they are for a disc disc set up. This setup also required the brake petal pin to be removed and another one (Fox body size ) added 1" down and 3/8" back from factory location . We did have to "tweak" some long tube headers to clear the AOD but they do seem to work out nice now .I added some O2 bungs while I was at it for the oxygen sensors .Anyway heres some pics
We stripped it to the metal worked the panels replaced the tail panel lower rear quarter and both rear floor pans. then finally primed it with black epoxy primer already had it from another project. We'll be blocking this then priming again with regular grey primer then hopefully final block then ready for paint.
Last edited by Fox Rodder; 12-05-2012 at 07:43 AM.
Great project! I am glad your grandfather left the car to you, I am sure it would make him smile to see you bring the car back to better than new condition. Good luck on the project and keep us updated. I have owned 9 65/66 stangs over the past 32 years... coupes and fastbacks, but never a convertible... seeing yours is all I needed to push me toward a convertible for my next project! It never ends but it sure is fun!
I took advantage of the warm weather this weekend and painted the car. I plan to wet sand and buff still gotta finish the bumpers and do the tail panel and windshield trim satin black and the bullets gloss black. What do you think black bumpers or body color. Chrome is not an option.
Last edited by Fox Rodder; 01-14-2013 at 11:07 AM.
Nice work you've done. Extra nice that you're doing it with Pops. These memories will last a lifetime. Good luck.
Yes sir its been fun. Pops just had to have surgery on his neck and every thing went well.Just waiting for him to heal so we can finish this thing up. I cant wait to see him drive this thing.Thanks for the kind words thanks.