Fox rad in 65 Mustang - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Mod and Custom Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Fox rad in 65 Mustang

Iím sure itís been done hundreds of times, but does anyone have a good pic so I can see how the Fox rad fits in the stock 65 space? Does the original core support need modified and if so, what was done to fit the radiator? The engine is going to be a mildly high compression 351W based stroker so Iím going to need all the cooling I can get.
Thanks for the help gang!
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 03:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

V belt or serpentine set up? Standard flow or reverse flow water pump? Clutch fan or electric fan? Need details man, details. Are you planning on trimming the radiator support at all to take advantage of the larger radiator ('65 has a small opening and you can trim around the opening about 1.5" on each side IRRC)?

Last edited by 66resto; 01-07-2013 at 03:20 PM.
66resto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 05:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

most foxbody people upgrade their radiators. why would you put a that in a 65? the bottom inlet on the fox is on the driver side -make sure you use a water pump that has the right outlet. unless you use one of those crossover tubes.
wheelsup351 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 06:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

I tried to do it, but it was just too wide from what I remember. Don't think it would fit between the frame rails, or that might have been my SN95 rad. I used one of the aluminum racing rads off eBay.
with White LeMans stripes.
ScottsGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 12:38 AM   #5 (permalink)

Sorry, I guess I should be more specific. I’m looking to install a Fox-style cross flow rad into my car. I guess I should put it this way: I ‘ve seen cars with non-stock radiators and assumed it was a Fox dimensioned unit based on looks and hose placement so I’d like to know what’s involved in the modification to make a non-stock rad fit. My car is far from concourse nor will it be a concourse resto so if I have to cut the core support, I’m not that worried.
Here’s what I have:
FRPP late model water pump
Fox timing cover
Taurus fan
Love to run serpentine…and I have the brackets to do so. Running alt and power steering too.
Plans are to order a Painless Wiring kit with fan relay built into the harness (I hear they can install items like that) so I should be GTG as far as electrical controllers goes. So, if it’s not a Fox-style rad, what dimensions do folks use and how is it mounted?
Old 01-08-2013, 02:24 AM   #6 (permalink)

A fluidyne fox radiator fits perfectly. You must cut the core support so that you get ample airflow across the core and gain forward clearance to put an electric fan on ( I used a spal) The fluidyne also has square holes at the top that I used long bolts/washers/locknuts on the secure the rad through holes I drilled in the front of the core supprt. Also I used small pices of rubber hose to insulate between the rad and core suppert on the bolts. I welded some salvage yard g.m. rad mounts with rubber inserts to the framerails for the rad to sit in. It looked factory when finished. Fits great and cools a nice stroker like no tiny 65/66 rad could ever do.

There is a photo online of my car that shows the rad from the top from when the car was sold at the sept. 2012 barrett jackson las vegas auction.
Google 1965 mustang lot 345.2 and you can see a photo of it.

Also if you go to photbucket and search for dav65mus photoalbum there are a couple more pictures of the rad when i was building the car in my shop a few years ago they are a few pages into the album under "65 fastback motor"

Dave

Last edited by dav65mus; 01-08-2013 at 02:35 AM.
dav65mus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 02:40 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dav65mus View Post
There is a photo online of my car that shows the rad from the top from when the car was sold at the sept. 2012 barrett jackson las vegas auction.
Google 1965 mustang lot 345.2 and you can see a photo of it.

Also if you go to photbucket and search for dav65mus photoalbum there are a couple more pictures of the rad when i was building the car in my shop a few years ago they are a few pages into the album under "65 fastback motor"

Dave
Any chance you could link to your photobucket? I searched and struck out, but have got to see this, as I was convinced my fox rad wouldn't fit. Would love to see detail!
Husky44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 08:40 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky44 View Post
Any chance you could link to your photobucket? I searched and struck out, but have got to see this, as I was convinced my fox rad wouldn't fit. Would love to see detail!

You have to register fr free nowon photobucket. When you search for dav65mus it may say no user found. Then there will be a small link that says "users profile" or " users photo album" or something like that. Click on that link and it should get you there
dav65mus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 09:26 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
You have to register fr free nowon photobucket. When you search for dav65mus it may say no user found. Then there will be a small link that says "users profile" or " users photo album" or something like that. Click on that link and it should get you there
All, thanks for the input thus far. All i did was Google it exaclty as Dav65mus typed out and found it lickety-split. Nice color too! Now i see how you mounted it after your description and pics. I'd like to think i'm pretty handy so the mod should be fairly easy to engineer. Again, thanks!
Old 01-08-2013, 11:43 AM   #10 (permalink)

I used a generic Chevy rad with the bottom inlet on the pass side and top on the driver side. I did however, trim the rad support.

1965 A-Code Fastback
Built, September 14, 1964 (San Jose)
Viper red, White/red interior
TCP R&P, G Bar rear 4 link/w shockwaves
Global West Upper/Lower/Strut Rods
Ride-Tech Air ride
4 wheel Cobra disc brakes/Hydroboost
363 Stroker/Paxton Supercharger
Mass-Flo EFI
Owned since 1983
DrStang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 02:05 PM   #11 (permalink)

Dave,

How did you like those billet hinges? I have read where some people have trouble with them. Did they open as far as stock hinges?

Thanks in advance.

Jay
Old 01-08-2013, 02:14 PM   #12 (permalink)

Repost (by me) from an eariler thread:

I bought a Griffin 24" X 19" aluminum radiator from Summit (26202 for ~$200) for my 65. Quality is real good. I am using a Taurus 2-speed electric fan. It cools so efficiently that when you put your hand on the passenger side the air is hot and by the time you are to the middle, it blows cold! (I have a 4.6L DOHC aluminum engine so it dissipates and transfers heat very well.) I bought the universal Summit mounts and adapted them, and I had to cut the radiator support a little to fit it up tight. This setup works great - I mean I can sit in Branson, Missouri, tourist traffic and creep along in first gear, riding the clutch and it never gets over ~200 deg (with 180 deg thermostat) even when it's 100 outside.

This is a crossflow radiator with inlet on the pass side and outlet on the drivers. They also make a reserved version and maybe other configurations. It doesn't have a tranny cooler but they might make one that does (or use a separate trans cooler). I did have to cut the 'lips' off the radiator support to tuck it in.

NOTE: The Taurus fan probably won't fit with your engine. The radiator works very well, is economical, and well-made.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:32 PM   #13 (permalink)

Taurus fan will not work if you are running a Fox serpentine system and a thick 3 core radiator. I had to buy a SPAL ultra thin and then I built a fiberglass shroud to mount it too. It stands it off about 3/4" from the radiator. I'll see if I can find the ebay radiator I bought and post a link.
Found it. Northern Radiators.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NORTHERN-TRI...item588ad6d99b
with White LeMans stripes.

Last edited by ScottsGT; 01-08-2013 at 02:35 PM.
ScottsGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 03:19 PM   #14 (permalink)

I bought a Champion 4 row for my car.Bolt it in and done. Pretty cheap also compared to a Griffen.
fast shelby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 05:05 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
I am registered. Searched again, and still couldn't find it; didn't see the link you described for user's profile or photo album.

did a search in Google, and it showed up about the third hit down. Seems like Photobucket search engine needs a little tweaking.

Cool Galaxie, but what is that red convertible? I'm pretty good at 60's sports cars, had a 62 MGA, grew up with a old Triumphs, MGs, and even an old Austin Healey 3000, but I can't recognize that car, or the emblem, and can't zoom in enough on my computer to read it. Beautiful!
Husky44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.