heater delete - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Mod and Custom Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-10-2013, 03:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default heater delete

I'm redoing the firewall and dash in the 68 stang. I was thinking about going with a heater delete setup since the thing will only ever get used on track days or nice days for street driving. I'll weld in a plate over the firewall, but was thinking about using a passenger side trim piece where the fan/ heater controls were. Any feedback? Was there a heater delete available from the factory?
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2013, 03:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

I wouldn't do it. My car is only driven in nice weather but on cooler days or evenings you will want to have some heat. Or if you happen to get caught in the rain you will fog up and will not have any heat/blower to help get rid of the fog.
kwkenf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 04:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

They sell strong little electric heaters. That what I plan on going with if i ever drive when it rains.

I deleted all my heater stuff and A/C. I'm in socal, so could be different for others, but no big issues at all. If I wanted to be warmer, I would get those electric car heaters for the window.
1969 Ford Mustang Coupe; 351w (5.8L) carb engine; Champion 4 row aluminum radiator; Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake Manifold; Edelbrock 750 CFM Carb; Crager Wheels; 215/60-15 front tires, 255/60-15 rear tires; Doug Tri-Y Headers; Custom Dual Side Exit Exhaust w/Xpipe; MSD 6AL; Electric Fuel Pump; March Performance U/D Pulley Set; Curved Monte Carlo Bar.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...-12-04_585.jpg
Connect with me on social media
Tarmac_69_Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 04:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

If you have vehicle inspection in your state, be sure and check your regs. Here in the PRVT if it's a '64 model year or later it needs a defroster.

6F09A 63A 8 26 09D 71 1 5
bartl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 05:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks, I'm in Minnesota but will never drive it in the winter (snow). Probably never in the rain either. If it does rain though thats the beauty of having wing windows. There is no vehicle inspections here either. Mike
Old 01-10-2013, 06:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

you'll save a bunch of weight losing the heater and box .
i made a piece of sheet metal to block off my 65 fastback put some silicone for a gasket and bolted it in place , easily undone if need be .
Old 01-10-2013, 08:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
I won a special award

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemstang66 View Post
i made a piece of sheet metal to block off my 65 fastback put some silicone for a gasket and bolted it in place , easily undone if need be .

That's what I did
Link to my Hub Garage and blog about my car http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/maxum96

Maxum96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 02:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
I'm redoing the firewall and dash in the 68 stang. I was thinking about ... using a passenger side trim piece where the fan/ heater controls were. Any feedback? Was there a heater delete available from the factory?
Great idea! I hadn't thought of that myself, and am just about to redo the interior. I haven't had a heater for over 7 years in the '67 daily driver, so no big deal (I'd just hate to cut up all that heater stuff and linkages... but if you don't care, then I say do it).

I say give the passenger side trim piece a try. It's cheap enough that if you screw up, you can easily just buy another if you have to. Keep us posted!

MTF Grille/Light Kit Install w/ Pics... & Engine Bay Pics...
As featured in Hot Rod Magazine tech article, May 2014
Rorin67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 07:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

i am in the middle of this right now and wondering the same thing.....
i still havent come up with anything i like yet..but this thread is proving valuable.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:57 PM   #10 (permalink)

I relooking at this, I see that the heater controls extend higher up on the dash than the passenger side trim piece does. So just using one passenger side trim piece likely won't do it. If you cut up two pieces and bring them together somehow, that might work. Keep us posted - and pics are great too.

MTF Grille/Light Kit Install w/ Pics... & Engine Bay Pics...
As featured in Hot Rod Magazine tech article, May 2014
Rorin67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 08:35 PM   #11 (permalink)

i'll post picks this weekend. I cut out the firewall from the lip down to the toe board from the right kick panel spot welds to just past the hump. It is a GIANT hole! I made a flat piece out of 17 gauge steel and bent the lip on to spotweld back onto the side panel. I also put a 45 degree bend in to match up to the toe board. Should work real good. I cut off the cowl lip and am going to weld the joint to smooth it out. I removed the dash as well, so I can install a 12 point cage before installing any body parts.
I hav'nt looked at the trim pieces yet. but there is not going to be a heater control on the left side.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:53 PM   #12 (permalink)

I went and took some pix even though its 8 degrees out right now!Sorry they are pretty blurry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100MEDIA_IMAG0056-1.jpg (26.9 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 100MEDIA_IMAG0057.jpg (34.6 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 005_IMAG0001.jpg (26.2 KB, 25 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.