Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Got my Doug's Headers for the coyote build

8K views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  1965wildstang 
#1 ·
If anyone is considering these headers I want to let you know that the finish and the quality is excellent. The flanges are nice and think and the welding is great. I still have to mount them up but out of the box they look terrific.

#5 ·
From everything I read the stock headers need to be modified to address clearance issues. I figure if there is one less thing to modify then it's worth it. Not sure where you are in the build but I would like to trade notes. I about about to cut the trans tunnel tomorrow... Should be fun.

#27 ·
I wish there was an option for the 4.6 dohc also. Sanderson headers offers some for the 4.6 sohc blockhugger style. Thought about trying to make a set from Mac exhaust work on my setup, but the 03 cobra stock exhaust manifolds are suppose to be good til 600hp.

#16 · (Edited)
Actually, both collectors hit the tranny pan.
These may not be a good choice for auto's behind coyotes.
I need to decide how to modify the pan, cut and weld, or hammer...

Edit:
My trans came from a truck. Maybe the pan is bigger than a car pan?

#19 ·
What suspension set up are you using? I dropped my engine in the car but haven't bolted up the headers yet. I'm surprised the angle is so off? Did you cut the trans tunnel up top and raise the trans into the cabin of the car? My 6 speed is in the cabin about 2" from the stock position. Your trans looks like it is at the correct angel....

#20 · (Edited)
I have a Street Rod Engineering front end.

Here is my modified crossmember:

And my oil pan:

I did not move up my tunnel. I was last running an AOD, and only the bellhousing is bigger on the 4r70w. The engine is about 5-7 depending on how well I clean off the angle finder. Those header would be pointing down even unless the engine were angled forward significantly. Maybe I got some bad ones? Still no response from the email I sent Dougs. I will try calling tomorrow.

#21 ·
Man, I hope mine aren't like that. Isn't the ideal pinion angle more like 4 degrees? That is what I always shot for with my cars? I haven't lined this one up yet. Please post the response when Doug's replies to your inquiry. Thanks.

#26 ·
With the stock headers on everything almost fits. The drivers side flange touches, the passenger side collector hits, and the engine is 3/4" to the drivers side.
I can modify the flanges, and notch my frame and call it good. My front subframe is 2x3 tubing and rather than stock.
Now I need to call Jegs and initiate a return of the Doug's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.