Helpful Relay Diagrams - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Mod and Custom Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:56 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Helpful Relay Diagrams

I found this PDF of relay diagrams that some may find helpful in their projects. Might be something you bookmark for future reference

http://dlcparts.com/images/BoschGuide.pdf
06 BMW 530xi

T56 Conversion
DIY Ron Morris-like Motor Mounts
DIY Engine Crossmember
DIY Camber Eccentric Eliminator Plates
buening is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2013, 12:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

Thanks for the link! I'll 'relay' this over to some of my car buddies.

1965 A-Code Fastback
Built, September 14, 1964 (San Jose)
Viper red, White/red interior
TCP R&P, G Bar rear 4 link/w shockwaves
Global West Upper/Lower/Strut Rods
Ride-Tech Air ride
4 wheel Cobra disc brakes/Hydroboost
363 Stroker/Paxton Supercharger
Mass-Flo EFI
Owned since 1983
DrStang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 01:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Just some guy

Nice! Thanks.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Great link, thanks.

TOMs67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 04:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

So that's how the cops do that alternating headlight deal.......

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams
GT289 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 04:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

I liked the wipers on/headlights on diagram. With the new cars having these automatic, I tend to forget to turn on the headlights when the wipers are on.
06 BMW 530xi

T56 Conversion
DIY Engine Crossmember
Old 01-15-2013, 10:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

Awesome! I love this stuff.

But can someone explain how the "STARTER DISABLE/CIGARETTE LIGHTER OPERATIVE" one works on page 16? I may be crazy, but it looks like they drew the wiring diagram wrong... Post 86 on either relay will never see 12V, so neither relay will ever activate... The "key side starter should not "jump" the wire that links 86 and 86 together. Instead, it should splice into it. Then they system works.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespazardman View Post

But can someone explain how the "STARTER DISABLE/CIGARETTE LIGHTER OPERATIVE" one works on page 16? I may be crazy, but it looks like they drew the wiring diagram wrong... Post 86 on either relay will never see 12V, so neither relay will ever activate... The "key side starter should not "jump" the wire that links 86 and 86 together. Instead, it should splice into it. Then they system works.
Oh, and I'm definitely doing the "stealth starter interrupt". Like the idea that if you try to start my car without finding the switch, itll honk at you when you turn the key... Hehe.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:35 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespazardman View Post

Its a ground activated relay system, meaning the ground path must be complete in order for the relays to energize. When the lighter is removed, the ground path is not provided on the 30 post in order to activate the lighter's relay. Once the lighter is put in place and the ground path from the lighter enters the 30 post, it energizes the relay and switches from the 87a 12v to the 87 ground, which then completes the ground circuit between 85 and 86 post of the starter relay, which then energizes the coil and flips from the 30 post-to-blank 87a to the 30post-to-87.

Many alarm systems use a ground activated relay system instead of a 12v activated system (think hood and door switches).
06 BMW 530xi

T56 Conversion
DIY Engine Crossmember
Old 01-16-2013, 08:58 AM   #10 (permalink)

When I built the FFR,I used relays on just about everything. Here's a photo of the main relay/CB board I used in the Cobra. The controlled the hi/lo beams, fuel pump and fans. The board fit in the engine compartment, and was hidden from view.

Installed:

Old 01-16-2013, 03:23 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buening View Post
Its a ground activated relay system, meaning the ground path must be complete in order for the relays to energize. When the lighter is removed, the ground path is not provided on the 30 post in order to activate the lighter's relay.
But the 30 post on the lighter relay has no affect on the lighter relay activation.

You sound like you really know your stuff, so perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but are you assuming that the "key side starter" is spliced into the wire that connects both relays at post 86? If so, then i agree with you. If not, well, then I'm lost. Nothing new
Old 01-16-2013, 06:22 PM   #12 (permalink)

I'm trying to remember how these cigarette lighters operate, but here is how I read the diagram. My thought was without the lighter inserted, there is no ground (essentially a dead 30 post) or basically a break in the shown lighter ground wire and the 30 post wire. Insert the lighter and the ground path from the shown lighter ground wire goes through the 30 post, through the 87 post, then onto the next relay 85 post, through 86 post, then back onto the lighter relays 86 post and through the 85 post to the relay's ground wire. Without that continuous path provided by the inserted lighter, the lighter relay contact doesn't energize and will be stuck on the 87a 12V being passed to the 30 post and onto the lighter.

Now how the lighter itself operates I can't recall....been forever since I've even looked that those things! I believe the lighter would have to be pushed in as if you were getting it heated up for use.

Also, key side starter is what is attached to the 30. This is basically the wire at your ignition switch that goes to the starter solenoid (brown I think??), in which you would cut and put one end on the 30 and the other on 87.

Edit: I think the lighters work as a bit of a short circuit, as in when they are pushed in the 12v wire and the ground get connected with a copper resistance between, which heats things up. So by pushing in the lighter in this instance, the ground path gets completed. I'm not sure how the lighter ever operates though with this diagram.
06 BMW 530xi

T56 Conversion
DIY Engine Crossmember

Last edited by buening; 01-16-2013 at 06:29 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:35 PM   #13 (permalink)

Here's my 2c
30,87a and 87 are the switch portion of the relay (they are not connected internally to 85 or 86). 87a is normally closed(30 and 87a connected when relay is not energized) when the relay is energized 30 and 87 are connected. The relay will not operate until 85 and 86 have 12v and grnd connected to them. The diagram should show the key side of the starter going to both 86's and 30 on the starter relay that way it is only hot in the start position,if it isnt connected to a wire that is hot in the run position only the cig lighter wont work because the relays would be energized anytime the key was on.
It appears that when the key is turned to start the cig lighter relay will send the ground from cig lighter through 30 and 87 to 85 on the starter relay which in turn will energize the starter relay and send the key signal from 30 to 87 which will allow the starter to function. once the key is released both the relays will be "off" and the cig lighter will work because 30 and 87a will be connected. I can wire it up on the bench and test this if needed.

Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spdt relay.jpg (13.8 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by nstaller; 01-16-2013 at 10:52 PM.
nstaller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 12:54 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstaller View Post
Here's my 2c
30,87a and 87 are the switch portion of the relay (they are not connected internally to 85 or 86). 87a is normally closed(30 and 87a connected when relay is not energized) when the relay is energized 30 and 87 are connected. The relay will not operate until 85 and 86 have 12v and grnd connected to them. The diagram should show the key side of the starter going to both 86's and 30 on the starter relay that way it is only hot in the start position,if it isnt connected to a wire that is hot in the run position only the cig lighter wont work because the relays would be energized anytime the key was on.
It appears that when the key is turned to start the cig lighter relay will send the ground from cig lighter through 30 and 87 to 85 on the starter relay which in turn will energize the starter relay and send the key signal from 30 to 87 which will allow the starter to function. once the key is released both the relays will be "off" and the cig lighter will work because 30 and 87a will be connected. I can wire it up on the bench and test this if needed.

Ken
That's what i was thinking, too. So the wiring diagram IS wrong Who the man? I da man!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.