Turbo charger? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Mod and Custom Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:56 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Turbo charger?

Is there one for a 200ci inline 6? i found some on ebay for pretty cheap but not any that fits my engine.
myresto68mustang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 10:04 AM   #2 (permalink)

Any internal combustion engine can be turbocharged, even a Briggs & Stratton lawn mower. But its more complicated than that. You can't grab any turbo and make it work. Someone with experience needs to determine the correct size for the turbo side and the compressor side. Then comes quite a bit of exhaust manifold work and downpipe work. Then oiling to the turbo, then a carburetor and/ or carb enclosure.
It can be done with a 200 I6, but it won't be quick, cheap, or easy.
Bucket Lister is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 10:13 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket Lister View Post
Any internal combustion engine can be turbocharged, even a Briggs & Stratton lawn mower. But its more complicated than that. You can't grab any turbo and make it work. Someone with experience needs to determine the correct size for the turbo side and the compressor side. Then comes quite a bit of exhaust manifold work and downpipe work. Then oiling to the turbo, then a carburetor and/ or carb enclosure.
It can be done with a 200 I6, but it won't be quick, cheap, or easy.
+1^^^^

It would probably be easier and cheaper to get a junkyard supercharger for an i6 and retrofit it to work rather than a turbocharger.. or you could always get a junkyard 5.0 or 302cu-in or if you want to keep the i6 I've seen this guy somewhere on the internet hitting 450HP and 24mpg with his turbo 200 i6 but you're talking a lot of cash... (fuel injection with M.A.P. 5 speed manual t-5, posi/locker... fully forged/built motor, the turbo setup, ect... if you're looking for some go i'd try and find a fuel injected 5.0 with an aod trans for like 500 - 700$ off craigslist and toss it in and keep the 200 i6 if you want it.

1967 fiberglass fastback, all aluminum 427 supercharged and racing coilovers all around. "Still waiting to find a sequential manual transmission under 20k "

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...67-600x337.jpg
Zimbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 10:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
Supporting Member
4 cylinders of fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by myresto68mustang View Post
Is there one for a 200ci inline 6? i found some on ebay for pretty cheap but not any that fits my engine.

Yes, you can turbocharge the I6. No, it wont be "cheap". The price of the turbocharger itself is only a small fraction of what needs to be done.

If you want to play with turbos, and keep the costs reasonable, the 2.3T is pretty fun. Check out my build for info.

-Beau
Old 01-17-2013, 02:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

Like the others have said, adding a turbo to any 65-66 Mustang and making it look good is a small feat of engineering in itself. It can be done but for what you'll have in the engine, you're better off looking for a V8 to put in the car. There's loads of threads on here (and the 'net) covering v8 swaps so be ready for a read; it's not as easy as a drop in and go scenario. I know the power bug is there but let me speak to safety for a minute. I, and many others on this board, have put the proverbial cart before the horse. I went for brute power and all i did was tear stuff up, had a car that i cursed at, wasted a lot of money and more importantly, made the car unreliable. I had a 200 in my car as well and I put a hot 302 in its place, swapped all needed parts and the next weekend was beating on the car. Two weeks went by and I blew a transmission. After I fixed the trans, I blew a dif (stock 4-lug diff) then I had a VERY close call with a bridge and nearly lost my car and my life. I had what alcoholics call ‘a moment of sobriety’ and discovered that my mayonnaise-jar master cylinder and drum brakes were WAY too small for what I asked of the car. So, what can you take from this in one sentence? Upgrade your brakes, rear end and suspension to handle the power you want first, then go for the power. Just my .02.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudder! View Post
Like the others have said, adding a turbo to any 65-66 Mustang and making it look good is a small feat of engineering in itself. It can be done but for what you'll have in the engine, you're better off looking for a V8 to put in the car. There's loads of threads on here (and the 'net) covering v8 swaps so be ready for a read; it's not as easy as a drop in and go scenario. I know the power bug is there but let me speak to safety for a minute. I, and many others on this board, have put the proverbial cart before the horse. I went for brute power and all i did was tear stuff up, had a car that i cursed at, wasted a lot of money and more importantly, made the car unreliable. I had a 200 in my car as well and I put a hot 302 in its place, swapped all needed parts and the next weekend was beating on the car. Two weeks went by and I blew a transmission. After I fixed the trans, I blew a dif (stock 4-lug diff) then I had a VERY close call with a bridge and nearly lost my car and my life. I had what alcoholics call ‘a moment of sobriety’ and discovered that my mayonnaise-jar master cylinder and drum brakes were WAY too small for what I asked of the car. So, what can you take from this in one sentence? Upgrade your brakes, rear end and suspension to handle the power you want first, then go for the power. Just my .02.
Well stated! Way more than 2 cents, tho... Whether you go v8 or turbo 6, make sure to upgrade brakes, tranny, rear, spindles, suspension, etc., first.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

Go for it. Will be way cool and at least with the six you will have more room in the engine compartment to fit all the plumbing, etc. And of course, as stated above, make sure all other systems are up to the task also.
1969 F100 Ranger
1972 F100 Ranger XLT Shortbox
1978 F150 Lariat Shortbox 4x4
1979 F100 Lariat Shortbox
1990 Thunderbird SuperCoupe
2003 Mustang Mach 1
Blue Oval Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 08:17 AM   #8 (permalink)

Turbos are 200s can be fun. Swing over the the forums at fordsix.com and you'll see a few who've done it, even with the log head.

Expense is going to be contingent on how well you want it to look. Simple way is to use the existing manifold and just use a J pipe with a T3/T4 (or 16G) sized turbo. I forget the best size for the 200, but its easy to research. Some carb work would be required.

But, the problem you'll end up with is the rest of the 6 cylinder components on the car, particularly the transmission. A turbo charged 200 can make a lot of torque and can chew up the 2.77 transmissions pretty quick.

I have to agree with Rudder. I'm a strong advocate of getting the rest of the car ready first. Brakes, suspension, etc.

Current
200 CI, T5, Comp Cam 260H ,Dual Exhaust Headers, OZ 250/2V head, Holley 390 4V, DS2 Ignition w/ MSD Digital 6+, GT 5 lug disc brakes, 8" rear end, V-8 Steering

Current Project:
5.0 EFI with Megasquirt, BBK SSI intake Manifold, Trickflow TW170 AL Heads, TF Stage 1 Cam...and a quiet as hell exhaust. Want it to sound like an I6...

"It's not how fast you go...but how go you fast"
CobraSix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 08:17 AM   #9 (permalink)

Oh, here are some old pictures:

Import Killer's Turbo 6!

Current
200 CI, T5, Comp Cam 260H ,Dual Exhaust Headers, OZ 250/2V head, Holley 390 4V, DS2 Ignition w/ MSD Digital 6+, GT 5 lug disc brakes, 8" rear end, V-8 Steering

Current Project:
5.0 EFI with Megasquirt, BBK SSI intake Manifold, Trickflow TW170 AL Heads, TF Stage 1 Cam...and a quiet as hell exhaust. Want it to sound like an I6...

"It's not how fast you go...but how go you fast"
CobraSix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.