1965 coupe mod with 351w - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Mod and Custom Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 1965 coupe mod with 351w

I've resisted posting my build thread on VMF for a while now due to the large amount of purist who hate anything that wasn't delivered from Dearborn by Henry Ford himself. One particular comment I saw this week really struck a cord with me.

"I can't stand the idea of creating a car that never existed"

Unfortunately for that dude, I have the opposite opinion.

My goal is to create a car that never existed, and never will. I want my car to be mine, and I don't want there to be another one exactly like it anywhere. So if that idea makes you cringe, feel free to close the window and move along.

"These are not the droids you are looking for.."

Now when I say custom, I don't usually mean anything too wild. Really I just like to take my favorite parts from different cars, and combine them all onto one. You won't see me putting a 7" cowl hood on my car. I'm not going to try and make a ricer wing. I just think as the years went by, each mustang (and some other ford muscle cars) had awesome attributes, and I want them all, I don't want to have to choose.

The forum where I have been posting my build is a smaller forum, and it is pretty slow, so now that I'm close to being finished, I've decided to put some stuff up in other places.

My goal has been to build a weekend car that I'm not afraid to drive. I don't want something so nice that it has to be trailered, but I don't want a beater either. I'm okay with a 5 foot paint job, as long as I can say one thing. "I did it myself." So far the only things I've paid someone else to do on my car are machine work the block, and align the tires. And I plan to keep it that way unless I just absolutely cannot find a suitable place to paint it on my time schedule.

To say the car (or at least motor) is snake bitten would be an understatement. The motor has been rebuilt twice and disassembled for cleaning 2 additional times due to filling it up with metal, and it has less than 50 miles on it. This car has sent me to the ER 3 times. Right now it is 2 years behind schedule (I know this is normal) and at about triple budget (mostly that is due to some really excessive scope creep).

Here are some cliff notes:

Motor:

1978 351w block
Stock Style Pistons (about 9.2:1)
AFR 185 Heads
1.6 roller rockers
Lunati Voodoo 262 Cam
Summit Stage 2 intake
Summit 750 carb
Stock Crank
Stock "football" rods

I don't know how many HP it is putting out, but it more than I can hook up with an open diff and 2.79 gears. I've got a 9" waiting to get trimmed down, with a stock ford posi and a set of 3.55 gears.

*Bought the car as a roller.
*Body work and base coat complete from the windshield back in wimbledon white
*I6 car with granada front discs and 8" rear with drums transplanted by PO
*Interior redone by PO in blue/white two tone
*I already had a 351w (disassembled) from when I tried to build a ferrari kit car as a freshman in college
*Toploader from Dad's 1969 Granada he totaled back in the 70's
*Had the block Fluxed/Dipped/Honed/Bored and the crank turned
*Rebuilt Toploader
*Put the motor back together, was missing tons of stuff, spent more than if I had bought a crate motor
*Motor knocks, think valve float, change springs, break spring compressor, spring uncompresses into forearm, first trip to ER.
*It wasn't valve float, it was a bad spot on the crank, tore the crank up in less than 2 hours of run time, had to get new crank, rebuild again.
*All steering mechanisms where shot, installed manual R&P. Get metal flakes in eye (was wearing safety glasses but not a grinding shield), 2nd trip to ER (no biggie this time).
*Since the engine was out of the bay, take it back to metal and paint it white (See, this is how scope creep happens. You do one thing really nice, and now everything else gets kicked up a notch)
*Broke a carb in half (how the heck do you break a carb in half?)
*Chase over-heating issues for a year, realize brand new auto-zone water pump sucks. Upgrade to hi-flow, stay cool
*Spend a year trying to get fender to door gaps correct
*Decide to change cam. Cam break in fails, fills engine with metal, disassemble engine to clean again.
*Embark on journey to create custom tail flush lights, realize you have no body work experience, and no fabrication skills:
*Decide you never wanted a white car, you only were going to have one because you bought one.
*Repaint interior for new color car
*Pull engine to repaint bay, drop flywheel on hand, break finger and get 5 stitches, third and most serious trip to ER due to car.
*Paint engine bay proposed color of car
*Finally get door to fender gaps set by bribing a friend who can weld into welding metal onto the doors to fill in the gaps.

One of the reason the build is so far behind schedule and so far over budget is that I didn't make a really good plan and lay everything out from the start. My original plan (that SWMBO bought into) was:

*Slap stock motor in
*Assemble fenders, hood, nose
*Paint front to match back, clear
*Drive on weekend

But things kept escalating, mainly due to sites like this one where I get lots of really bad ideas. It really started when the engine tore up, and I had to pull it back out. When that happened I painted the engine and the engine bay, and slapped on some AFR heads while it was out. I also decided since it was out I would solve my steering problems with the R&P. Suddenly I had a pretty nice (nothing like some of the fine stuff I see around here, but still really nice compared to what I had been seeing locally) engine bay, and other parts of the car started to look bad, so I would fix the next thing, then something else would look bad..... and on and on. I wish I had decided to do it balls to the wall awesome up front, then I could have stripped it and done all the paint and body on a rotisserie, then put it back together. But since the original plan was to just slap it together and do a partial paint, I've been doing everything with the engine and interior in, and all suspension, which makes everything harder. My wife hates these sites, because the budget has ballooned as the car keeps getting nicer. Just an example, this is the progression of the engine bay:

The engine is really dusty in that last shot, it really looks slick if I clean all the sanding dust off.

So here are some random shots as the car progressed:

Just for fun, this is what a broken carb will do for you:

Some shots of the now abandoned tail light experiment.

Recently I've decided to add some S2000 seats (not installed yet), which thanks to the shipping company punching nails holes in, will be getting recovered with two tone Black-grey with red stitching (on the shipping companies dime):

The most recent addition is a new fiberglass nose piece. When I bought my car I struggled with whether to get a 1965/66 or a 1967/68. I really don't like the back end of a 1967/68, but I've always preferred the longer nose on them. In the end, my preference for the 1965/66 rear, and the fact that I got a deal on a 1965, pushed me in that direction. However I never really gave up on trying to get a longer nose. I spent hours on the internet trying to figurewhat I would have to do to get a longer nose. I tried making several molds from styrofoam for a 1967 shelby style nose on a 1965 mustang (don't start... I told you I like custom stuff). I had pretty much given up and resolved myself to sticking with a basic 1965 front (plus and R-type apron I had already purchased), when Mustangs to Fear posted some pictures of a soon to be released body kit, which included a longer nose and hood. The longer hood was actually the key that I had missed when I was trying to make patterns for a custom nose. I kept trying to work the extra length into the nose, keeping the stock length hood. But by making the hood longer, the extended nose piece was much simpler.

Now the MTF kit is an E-stlye nose, and I'm not the biggest fan of the Eleanor clones. I most definitely think it has been way overdone, but I do love certain aspects of it. After many nights of thinking about different things I would like to do (I tend to get insomnia for a few days at a time), I decided that I wanted a long nose bad enough that I could take an E-nose and try to tame it down to fit my taste. I didn't think it would be to hard to eliminate all of the extra fog lights, and I don't mind the driving lights that much, and I figured I could probably glass them over if I decided I really didn't like them, then I would just have a long nose 1967 style front end. I wound up making a couple of really crappy sketches and decided that I like the look of the long nose and the driving lights, with all the other lights deleted. I also wanted a unique paint scheme, no way was I going pepper grey with black stripes. Or even the inverse (DONT LAUGH AT MY ART SKILLZ):

The down side was that the kits were not ready for production yet. I kept plugging along on the car, trying to get it ready for paint everywhere except the nose and hood. The closer I got to thinking I was ready for a nose and hood, the more I bugged Rich at MTF about the schedule for the 1965/66 kits. Finally one day he made me an offer I couldn't refuse. He had a prototype nose that he had used for some plugs that he was willing to let me take a chance on. I still wouldn't have a hood, but getting the nose would allow me to go ahead and finish setting all of the body gaps and even start blocking everything but the hood. (In case you haven't tried it yet, the fenders to doors don't line up right unless the front end is attached, it flexes the fenders).

After spending a little time with the nose (it was a prototype, not quite up to MTF's usual standards, but still better than any other production fiberglass I had bought) I knew I had made the right decision in getting a long nose kit. Below are some pictures that show the nose along with the stock hood (So you can see how much longer it is, and I have since filled the divots for the lower fog lights):

This is the stock hood pulled forwards, to get a feel for how it will look when finished:

As of last week, I'm working out of town M-F, and flying home on the weekends. Since SWMBO is really really fed up with the car (2 years behind schedule) I knew working on it during my short weekends at home was gong to be a no no . So I found a storage unit that will let me work on the car inside during the evenings, and I've pulled the car up here:

As the car sits in my storage unit, it is in epoxy primer, and I'm finishing the last of the body work. I hope to spray hi-build next week (if it will warm up enough) and start blocking. The goal is paint by mid-march.

Last edited by ajzride; 02-12-2013 at 11:44 PM.
ajzride is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2013, 12:15 AM   #2 (permalink)

Oh yea, TL;DR

Old 02-12-2013, 10:35 AM   #3 (permalink)

I didn't know there were long nose parts for 64-66. That's new to me I'm curious to see how that looks from the side.

These parts have been around for a long time below.
1965 or 1966 Mustang E2 Body Kit / Eleanor Body Kit

do what you like it all sounds like normal stuff to me just stay out of the ER. We all have learned from our mistakes over the years and we all wish we could have done a few or several things differently from the beginning. Keep your wife happy typically their priorities are not the same as ours with these cars, and our finances put into them. Family first if you want to keep them lol good luck !
Ford True Blue paint, 17X8 Edelbrock 454 wheels, waiting to install AOD/2,800 rpm stall / 8.8 rear with 373 gears / 4 wheel disc brakes. / Xpipe, Dynomax Ultraflows . More pictures here-->http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...-few-pics.html
2013 SHO Performance Package tuned by Livernois Motorsports
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n...68stangsig.jpg
68_GT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 10:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Just some guy

I like it. Many similarities to my '67 coupe project. Dunno about all the "purists". Have you seen the "show your engine" thread in the main forum. Mod motors, 2.3 turbos, all kinds of stuff. One guy even has Japanese engine and nobody's said an ill word. Any purists in the Modified section we'll have to chase back to the Concours section with a stick anyway.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 11:01 AM   #5 (permalink)

Not enough info on how your car sent you to the ER!

Yea, the purists will love me too! '66 GT with Shelby hood and side scoops, Lemans stripes, Cobra accents under the hood and interior, GT badging and side stripes with no fog lights in the grill.
with White LeMans stripes.
ScottsGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 11:30 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68_GT View Post
I didn't know there were long nose parts for 64-66. That's new to me I'm curious to see how that looks from the side.

To my knowledge there are only 2 of these long nose parts running around in the wild right now. Rich has not started production for sale yet. It is 4" longer on the ends, and 5-1/2" longer in the middle.

Last edited by ajzride; 02-12-2013 at 11:57 AM.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:37 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsGT View Post
Not enough info on how your car sent you to the ER!
1) I was using one of the on the engine valve spring removal tools. It was rental from autozone, the type that has two arms that reach down and grab the spring on each side, then hold it while you tighten down a nut on a threaded shaft. The arms hold the spring and the nut compresses it. After I had compressed the spring, one of the arms on it broke loose from the hinge, and the spring came flying out (300 lb spring). It smashed right into my forearem and I had a hairline fracture, along with a nasty gash and severe swelling. I was lucky it hit my arm. It could have knock half my teeth out or blinded me. I had on safety glasses, but it could have knocked them right off if it came in from the bottom. LESSON LEARNED: Now After I lock the two arms into the spring, I use a zip-tie to hold them arms together so that even if the hinge breaks, the arms will contain the spring. I also wear a full grinding shield

2) Just some metal flakes that managed to bounce off my cheek, around my safety glasses, and up into my eye. Not at high speeds, but I couldn't get all the metal out. I had to make an ER trip so they could put the dye in, and magnet all the flakes out. LESSON LEARNED: I always wear a full grinding shield.

3). I was removing the flywheel with the motor hanging in the cherry picker. I had the motor about 3" off the ground. My intention was to loosen all the flywheel bolts, then remove all but the bottom one, and rotate the flywheel down onto the ground (pivoting around the bottom bolt) and then remove the last one. Apparently I loosened the bottom one too much, because when I removed the next to last one, the whole thing just crashed to the ground. It smashed my pinkie on my left hand between the leg of the cherry picker and the flywheel (which weighs about 40 lbs.) It smashed my finger open like a grape, and broke the bone all the way through. Doctor said if I hadn't had on leather gloves I would have probably lost the tip of my finger. LESSON LEARNED: Get help when working with heavy parts.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

man that's an ugly car!

JK
dude! I love your plan but I might have some similar tendency's...

Last edited by tarafied1; 02-13-2013 at 04:36 PM.
tarafied1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 04:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

Cool build so far
Old 02-13-2013, 04:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzride View Post
To my knowledge there are only 2 of these long nose parts running around in the wild right now. Rich has not started production for sale yet. It is 4" longer on the ends, and 5-1/2" longer in the middle.

I know where the other one is....
Old 02-13-2013, 04:53 PM   #11 (permalink)

does the engine bay still have all the spectre hose covers/fittings and convoluted tubing?
wheelsup351 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 04:59 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarafied1 View Post
I know where the other one is....
Very nice. I see his needed work in the same area mine did. Is he a member on here?
Old 02-13-2013, 05:01 PM   #13 (permalink)

actually it's a female "Kat" and no she isn't a member here (I don't think). She is pretty cool Mustanger though!
Old 02-13-2013, 05:03 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup351 View Post
does the engine bay still have all the spectre hose covers/fittings and convoluted tubing?
That is a negative ghost rider. Pattern is full..

We get wiser as we get older. I swapped the red and blue tubing for some basic black. It fit much better with the maroon paint. I ditched the fake braided lines and faux fittings though. I'm still looking for hoses that I like the look of.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:25 PM   #15 (permalink)

Great build - and LOVE the details on the ER trips!

And don't listen to any of the purists. When people ask me if the '67 is original (i.e. only non-Mustangers ask me that, 'cause you can tell by first glance the '67 is not original), I tell them NOTHING is original on the car - and heavily emphasize NOTHING. They usually stop after that...

Cheers!

MTF Grille/Light Kit Install w/ Pics... & Engine Bay Pics...
As featured in Hot Rod Magazine tech article, May 2014
Rorin67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.