How to hide engine bay wiring? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Mod and Custom Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How to hide engine bay wiring?

I'm doing a 5.0 roller with efi swap. Getting to the point were I have to start thinking about wiring. I don't want to hide everything, but I want the clean, organized and uncluttered look.
I am for sure relocating the battery to the trunk.

So for those that have been down this road, what are your top tips for hiding engine bay wiring?

Here is my current bay:
merfsiu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2013, 09:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

I ran some of my wiring behind the fenders along the underside of the fender aprons. I swapped out the fender bolts for some slightly longer ones and then used some rubber lined clamps to retain the harness. I slipped the clamp over the extra length of the bolt and put a nut on to hold it all in place. The bulk of my EFI harness is not completely hidden, but it will be running along the top of the firewall under the cowl lip.
TwEECer EFI tuning
T56 6-speed
Rod & Custom Motorsports IFS
TCP subframe connectors
Vintage Air Heat & AC

'99 Black Cobra - Daily driver
http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/a...psdd2caa40.jpg
Greg'66 5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2013, 10:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have some stuff on my webpage for hidden wiring, and efi wiring. I think the best approach is a custom cut harness that removes all the excess.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:39 AM   #4 (permalink)

When put the battery and solenoid in the back I unwove the wiring harness on the pass side and ran it up the drivers side with the other harness. Alternator wiring came out from under the radiator. I mounted the MSD unit by the radiator on the driver side so I had wires coming to the motor from that side. Ran the alternator wires to the block from below the MSD with the MSD wires, tucked them under the power steering and water pumps with lots of wiring clamps. Came out very clean. Without a battery, solenoid and wiring it came out pretty clean. The drivers side has reservoirs for clutch fluid, power steering and radiator overflow so cleaning the wires on that side would not unclutter it enough to warrant the trouble in my case.

ONe thing I did that worked out very nicely was put a terminal block above the MSD, took the place of the terminal on the solenoid that the power takeoffs come from. Makes a very convenient point for power for timing lights, charging and power pulls.

Last edited by dobrostang; 03-30-2013 at 09:46 AM.
dobrostang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2013, 02:09 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobrostang View Post
When put the battery and solenoid in the back I unwove the wiring harness on the pass side and ran it up the drivers side with the other harness. Alternator wiring came out from under the radiator. I mounted the MSD unit by the radiator on the driver side so I had wires coming to the motor from that side. Ran the alternator wires to the block from below the MSD with the MSD wires, tucked them under the power steering and water pumps with lots of wiring clamps. Came out very clean. Without a battery, solenoid and wiring it came out pretty clean. The drivers side has reservoirs for clutch fluid, power steering and radiator overflow so cleaning the wires on that side would not unclutter it enough to warrant the trouble in my case.

ONe thing I did that worked out very nicely was put a terminal block above the MSD, took the place of the terminal on the solenoid that the power takeoffs come from. Makes a very convenient point for power for timing lights, charging and power pulls.
Pics I should be starting this next weekend.
Husky44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2013, 04:24 AM   #6 (permalink)

I have an RJM harness which is quite sano but with A/C it got very messy under the hood. Mine is in the shop now getting everything cleaned up

I found the worst areas to be by the solenoid and near the firewall where everything came through

Much of mine was just excess length of wires not trimmed back.

Peter
1965 Fastback Restomod, GT350 replica, 5.0, SSBC 4WDB, Functional side brake cooling scoops, Fuel cell, WC 5 spd, 9 inch, 355s, Vintage air, Borgenson PS, Tri Ys, side exit exhaust. GT350 hood. GT 350 Dash Pod
1990 5.0 SSP Notchback fox mustang. MO police car with full "as in service" police equipment. F&R radar, siren, PA, Roof lights, Spotlight, rear antennas, scanner and police radio.
Previous Ponies:
1967 Mustang GT Fastback, sold
2007 GT500 sold
Pmustang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2013, 11:54 AM   #7 (permalink)

I wanted a clean engine bay also with nothing on the inner fenders. I also relocated the battery to the trunk and mounted the ecu, fan controller, a/f ratio monitor inside the car under the cowl area as jamesw did. All the wiring for the headlights, fog lights, horn, electric fan, blinkers i ran inside the upper section of the dirverside fender and then down into the lower valance branching off to each item. All the wiring for the motor & sensors I pulled through on the passenger side right below the firewall at the toe area. I used a grommet form an sn95 car that allowed all the wiring to come through in one area and branched off beside the trans with the wiring. We used the mesh style wire covering and pretty much was able to hide all the wiring at the back of the motor and along the cam covers & intake area. I moved all the vacuum hoses and solenoids to the back of the supercharger. I did have to add some length to some of the vacuum hoses to allow everything to work. Good luck.
65 coupe,JME bezel w/Autometer gauges,03 cobra motor & T56 trans, 17" TT2'S,9in w/4:10 trac-loc. 445hp & 425 ftlbs tq http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sya6h...layer_embedded http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/5271/img0401tz.jpg
By wildstang at 2012-02-21 http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/4536/65svtengine.jpg
By wildstang at 2012-02-21
1965wildstang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2013, 12:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to 2manyhobbies

I ran the main loom under the driver side fender as well. Relocated the solenoid upside down behind the shock tower since battery is in the trunk, and rerouted the firewall wiring where it was lower and put black loom over it. Dont use colored loom, it stands out and says "look at me". The msd box is under the dash, and the coil will be too later this summer. I have one small loom running down the intake with the dizzy and gauge wiring in it that doesnt stand out much at all. Also going to do a one wire alternator and lose the regulator and associated wiring.
Modified Mustang & Ford article: ?/2014
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/me...thing-done.jpg
2 years of hard labor later
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/me...-place-day.jpg
2manyhobbies is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2013, 12:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

Here is the photo. Man, the dust from this winter really shows up in these photos. I am thinking I may do the driver's side next winter, we will see...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0413.jpg (94.3 KB, 96 views)
dobrostang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2013, 08:43 PM   #10 (permalink)

I just relocated most of the wiring since I still wanted to be able to get to it. I ran the main portion from the firewall forward down along the framerail and covered it with fireproof wrap to keep it from getting cooked and on the battery side i just moved everything down. The battery is in the trunk and where the battery was is now a small custom stainless steel tray that I use as a tool tray. Under that is a custom aluminum cover that hides all the wiring,relays and solenoid. I also installed the engine hourmeter there. The MSD 6AL box is up high above where the battery was and the wiring for it goes into the fenderwell then back out to a mount for the coil that sits next to the shock tower. The coil wire runs along the monte carlo bar to the dizzy.
MCA#50308
http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/a...k/IMG_8330.jpg
trkpny2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2013, 10:02 PM   #11 (permalink)

I ran mine directly into the fender wells and I used heater hose to protect my wires. Kind of like what Gregg said. I didn't want the wires on the inside of the shock towers, and anything else I ran I just tucked away as much as possible. Of course, i started from scratch on the wiring, starting at the factory firewall plugs. I would run a section and hide it as I went. Only tough part is needing to go back into the harness later, tends to be a bit more difficult, but it was worth the trouble.

Next time I will really take the time to eliminate everything, and put EVERYTHING in the trunk.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.