Crown Vic front end? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Mod and Custom Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:30 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Crown Vic front end?

Was watching the guys on Gas Monkey Garage hack up a Dodge truck. They welded in a Crown Vic front end and it immediately brought to mind a long and intense thread here about "Mustang II / Pinto" swaps. They acted like they use them all the time. Anyone know if it would work on a classic Mustang? Technology has to be good because its from a "cop car" (that's what the TV said, and they can't lie on TV, right?)

http://www.photographiti.com/cars/misc/sigpic09.jpg
fastlane_65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2013, 01:33 AM   #2 (permalink)

We're really gonna dredge this up again?

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams
GT289 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2013, 07:02 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default Crown Vic

There is a pretty recent thread on this topic. Short answer seemed to be, fits nicely for an old truck, too wide to adapt to a Mustang
jimeast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2013, 10:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Just some guy

Crown Vic's are the last of the "full frame" cars. You can cut and paste frame to frame but not really weld the front half of a frame to a unibody car (Mustang). You can drop a unibody down on top of a full frame though. There's a company that makes such a frame for old Mustangs. Or was. I never saw the point of that myself.
Later model P71 (police) versions are very little different from civilian models. A heavier sway bar and stiffer springs. Both of which civilian equivalents could be had by ordering the taxi or "towing" package on a Crown Vic or Grand Marquis. At some point they had brake heating problems so police brake calipers got steel pistons when non-police got phenolic pistons (yawn, who cares). There's a P71 specific forum where they nitpick all this such stuff all the time. I've driven many a P71 "Interceptor" and if you ask me they drive and handle like wallowing pigs. Not impressed. Nice big front brakes on the later ones though. I expect the partial frame swap isn't a bad way to go on an old hotrod truck.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2013, 10:41 AM   #5 (permalink)

i'd rather swap a vette craddle than a crown vic one if going to all the work. there's a few guys on the F150 boards replacing their twin I beam w/ the CV stuff. that makes a lot of sense because it nearly bolts right on.
'95 Lightning #2015
BigTang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2013, 08:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Just some guy

Doh! Missed that we were discussing the 2003+ aluminum crossmember swap-in. Not the cut+paste of the older Panther chassis. My mistake. That crossmember is indeed a pretty neat almost self-contained assembly. Unfortunately almost 10 inches too wide for an old Mustang with no practical way to narrow it.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2013, 09:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
Crown Vic's are the last of the "full frame" cars. You can cut and paste frame to frame but not really weld the front half of a frame to a unibody car (Mustang). You can drop a unibody down on top of a full frame though. There's a company that makes such a frame for old Mustangs. Or was. I never saw the point of that myself.
Later model P71 (police) versions are very little different from civilian models. A heavier sway bar and stiffer springs. Both of which civilian equivalents could be had by ordering the taxi or "towing" package on a Crown Vic or Grand Marquis. At some point they had brake heating problems so police brake calipers got steel pistons when non-police got phenolic pistons (yawn, who cares). There's a P71 specific forum where they nitpick all this such stuff all the time. I've driven many a P71 "Interceptor" and if you ask me they drive and handle like wallowing pigs. Not impressed. Nice big front brakes on the later ones though. I expect the partial frame swap isn't a bad way to go on an old hotrod truck.
I autocross my Grand Marquis seems M3s, 370Zs are about 4 seconds slower through the course than me. Realy built for open track so its off a bit. Still has all power options.
turbo2256b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.