Best bang for my buck - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Mod and Custom Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-27-2013, 03:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Best bang for my buck

Hello all,

Well I have decided to do some performance upgrade to my stock 302, but I would like to get input as to what you guys would think would be best. Basically I will have about a 3,000$ budget so let me hear your ideas and suggestions
66must is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2013, 08:41 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66must View Post
Hello all,

Well I have decided to do some performance upgrade to my stock 302, but I would like to get input as to what you guys would think would be best. Basically I will have about a 3,000$ budget so let me hear your ideas and suggestions
Change the rearend gears. That is always a great place to start. all your power is going to be made in the Heads,cam,Intake and carb. really need more info on the car and your goals but TW 170 heads , RPM, Stealth or Air Gap intake and a decent Roller Cam with a Holley carb are a good place to start.
cmefly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2013, 09:49 AM   #3 (permalink)

cmefly gave you good suggestions for getting more power out of your 302. What's the condition of things like your suspension, brakes, and steering? It wouldn't hurt to spend a few bucks there as well.
TXMAG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2013, 10:09 AM   #4 (permalink)

heads, intake, carb, cam, and a decent set of tube headers and you will be very happy.

2003 Mach 1- Azure Blue, 5spd, IRS, Supercharged @ 10psi 480rwhp

1965 Coupe - SOLD
65coupe408w is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2013, 10:15 AM   #5 (permalink)

some 3.25 rear gears (with c4) or 3.55 with a 4 - 5 speed. would wake it up a little. AFR165cc, TF170s are just about the best street head you can get for these cars with a 289/302

Don't get a thumper cam, unless you just like sound and a minior power boost. get a comp roller cam or something.

as stated above RPM, Stealth or Air Gap intake.

a 650CFM Holley carb would be ideal if you use those heads and upgrade the cam and intake.

With all that you should be looking at anywhere from 50 - 100% HP increase depending on the year of the engine. if you have any money left get a good MSD and other msc stuff like a good set of Tri Y headers.

1967 fiberglass fastback, all aluminum 427 supercharged and racing coilovers all around. "Still waiting to find a sequential manual transmission under 20k "

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...67-600x337.jpg

Last edited by Zimbo; 08-27-2013 at 10:18 AM.
Zimbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2013, 10:25 AM   #6 (permalink)

Read this, it has been stated after that article that the Dyno was reading 20 - 30 HP higher, with a cam it shouldn't be an issue if you want to do that build.
400 HP 302 ci AFR 165 cc(Stock Cam)

I also highly recommend this book.
Mustang Ford Windsor Small Block Performance Book | CJ Pony Parts
It shows dyno charts of all the above aftermarket parts compared to stock, it shows how to put the engine together with pictures, ect.

1967 fiberglass fastback, all aluminum 427 supercharged and racing coilovers all around. "Still waiting to find a sequential manual transmission under 20k "

Old 08-27-2013, 10:36 AM   #7 (permalink)

Well as far as more info for you guys I have already rebuilt rear and front suspension, gear ratio is currently at 3.00 with rebuilt c4 tranny, previous owner put cheapo edelbrock carb and cheapo summit racing stage 1 intake manifold. As far as internals of the engine I really don't have a clue as to what he did although it is from a 1990 fox body and yes unfortunately stock headers. As far as goals I really just want a little more oomph not really looking for a track demon.... yet..
Old 08-27-2013, 10:53 AM   #8 (permalink)

if you want a track demon get 205cc heads, 165cc - 175cc heads are about the best investment you can make for a street engine. be sure and get the 58cc combustion chamber set if you get them.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:06 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Well as far as more info for you guys I have already rebuilt rear and front suspension, gear ratio is currently at 3.00 with rebuilt c4 tranny, previous owner put cheapo edelbrock carb and cheapo summit racing stage 1 intake manifold. As far as internals of the engine I really don't have a clue as to what he did although it is from a 1990 fox body and yes unfortunately stock headers. As far as goals I really just want a little more oomph not really looking for a track demon.... yet..
In that case go with the heads/cam/intake/carb option. A steeper set of gears would be nice as well, but chances are you'll roast the tires from a stand still anyway, even with the 3.00. Once you do the H/C/I mods I'd call up any of the major companies that produce torque converters and get something matched for your setup.

All this being said, imo, the best bang for your buck mod is probably nitrous.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

TW 170s - $1100
Used Performer RPM Intake - $100 (I am selling one...)
Quickfuel Slayer Carb - $300
Rear Gears - $800-ish, installed
Cam - $100
Lifters - $100
1 3/4" Headers - $600 (this is for name brand SS headers, you can go cheaper)
Misc. odds and ends - $400 (don't forget this stuff, cam gears, nuts and bolts, gaskets, it adds up!)

Total = $3500

You could get some dirt cheap steel headers and then get a torque converter. Depending on your preferences you may want a roller cam, etc. $4000 would be more all-inclusive budget.

Last edited by jdub; 08-27-2013 at 12:57 PM.
jdub is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2013, 01:48 PM   #11 (permalink)

Great help so far guys and thanks for your time, but a couple final questions 1. what headers are the best fit for the 66 because really im only concerned about clearance on the sides and any other misc crap that might get in the way. 2. any clearance issues between air cleaner/carb/edelbrock air gap intake and the hood of the engine bay? Also considering the weiand stealth intake manifold any clearance issues with that one either?

Last edited by 66must; 08-27-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:04 PM   #12 (permalink)

for headers you can get the measurements from the vendor and try your best to measure the engine to shock tower clearance, I think a few people on here can show you how to shave the towers a bit to make most headers from any vendor fit if needed. but it probably won't be needed.

As for the intake I have no clue...

Old 08-27-2013, 03:52 PM   #13 (permalink)

You should have plenty of different header options. Your 302 is the same physical dimensions as the 289 that was available for a 66 from the factory.

For the intake it should fit although I imagine your choice of air cleaner assembly will be limited. You'll probably need something with a drop base. There are plenty of people running that intake around so hopefully they'll chime in.

I just got an Air Gap myself but won't be putting it on (and in the car) anytime soon.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:29 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Great help so far guys and thanks for your time, but a couple final questions 1. what headers are the best fit for the 66 because really im only concerned about clearance on the sides and any other misc crap that might get in the way. 2. any clearance issues between air cleaner/carb/edelbrock air gap intake and the hood of the engine bay? Also considering the weiand stealth intake manifold any clearance issues with that one either?
Your header choice is really wide open for your car with the 302. you really need to decide if you want Short tubes , Mid lengths, long tubes or Tri y's. I like long tubes but i am always trying to get as much power as possible from the car. Nothing wrong with the other choices. All the Intakes will fit with a drop base air cleaner. The Stealth will give you a little more room then the RPM and Air gap and is the best bang for the buck if buying new.
cmefly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2013, 08:11 PM   #15 (permalink)

I am pretty sure the Stealth is taller than both the AirGap and RPM (which are the same height). I think maybe by 3/4". Edelbrock has the heights on their website but to find the height of the Stealth you have to poke around. Correct me if I'm wrong.
jdub is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.