1968 Fastback RestoMod build thread - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Mod and Custom Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-30-2013, 02:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 1968 Fastback RestoMod build thread

Well after a few years of planning and hoarding parts in boxes and having the drive train picked out for my '66 Coupe (too much cancer, had to go), I ended up with this 1968 Fastback from Missouri from a Mustang guy who I had bought a few parts off of. He held it for me and let me pay it out and did the mini tub for me while he had it. Great guy and a great experience so far.

Finally got to have it trailered home this past weekend. Used Uship and got a wide range of quotes and finally got someone who had great feedback and good price. Here a few pics of it coming to Tulsa.

I don't have the space, tools or expertise to build this to the level I want, so its at friends shop that I have done business for years with and has built some very nice cars in the past. It won't be a fast turn around and I'm OK with that, don't have the cash to throw it all at once anyways. So don't expect weekly updates. It should get torn down fairly quickly and sent to be media blasted. Using a local shop that doesn't use sand.

From my inspection (which doesn't mean much) and from the previous owner, the car is pretty solid. Driver's side pan is the only area being repaired for rust. Looks like someone walked on top of the roof or something, back end has a little damage that will need to be fixed and the right fender needs some attention. Still, great start for my build.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130927_145729_resized.jpg (98.5 KB, 284 views)
File Type: jpg 20130927_145722_resized.jpg (97.6 KB, 223 views)
File Type: jpg 20130927_145713_resized.jpg (98.4 KB, 280 views)
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2013, 02:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default stance

I bought the wheels and tires off the MO guy for my '66 and ended up using them on the '68. A set of Eagle Alloy rims Series 225s, 18 x 8s with 245s upfront and 18 x 10s with 315s on the back. Perili Pzeros tires.

Minitub using another set of stock tubs. Need to grab a pic, looks pretty stock looking down. Fold down rear seat rubs a little on the trim, just need to narrow it a little and should work great.

Bought a big bearing 9 inch with 3.70 gears off of CL. Owner said it was gone through 2 years ago...not much faith in my fellow man I must say. I had it shortened, new Moser axles, 31 spline and everything tucks as it should. Very happy with the end result.

Bought a Ride Tech air ride setup off a fellow member (Thanks Phil) and had the 4 link repaired and installed. Tubular control arms are on up front and the combination Mustang Steve/SoT brackets with my '01 Cobra brakes. My understanding is that the "Shelby Drop" is already incorporated in the new parts so I don't have to worry about that. None of the air bags, lines or compressor was installed for this phase of the build.

I have a set of Tinman SBF connectors to be installed after its get back from blasting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG01460-20130619-1956.jpg (65.3 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00783-20130210-1236.jpg (67.1 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg Rear end.JPG (78.6 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg 4 link.JPG (82.0 KB, 160 views)

Last edited by 66resto; 09-30-2013 at 02:18 PM.
66resto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2013, 02:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default Drive Train

I had gathered these parts over the last couple of years. I bought a whole pile of parts off a circle track racer getting out of the hobby for a steal. I took what was good and sold the rest for more than I what I had in it. One of the few times the hobby God smiled upon me. Ended up with the fully assembled N351 heads, custom(ish) forged flat top pistons (4.035) with H rods, forged 3.25" crank and a late model 302 block that had already been clearanced.

For some reason I got stuck on the idea of using these iron heads, not sure why. Got them for free I guess. Hindsight might be wishing I sold them, but what is done is done. 10 degree head, Yates help design the combustion chamber, supposedly really efficient. It can be milled a ton if you want to run a crazy compression. I had them ported and flow is respectable, not that flow numbers are everything. I had the pockets worked on to take the LSx dual springs to run the custom FTI cam. I got a set of Smith Bros. push rods and some 2.055 valves for a little more low/mid lift air. Throw in some link bar lifters and my free heads are now getting pricey. Besides the weight, I don't think I'm at a hp disadvantage, lots of built SBF running these heads on the roundy round making some really nice power, just a little strange for the street.

The heads also required some thought for the headers, wide bolt pattern on the flange. A little help from Stan over at FPA fixed that. I got a set of Step down (1 5/8 to 1 3/4), uncoated. I'll have the ceramic coated once I get everything installed and test fitted.

I decided to go FI on this build. A Trick Flow Track Heat intake (little port work on the lower to match the flow of the heads), 75mm TB, 80mm MAF sensor, set of 42 lb injectors, chip tune and a Moates QH. Should more than handle the top end. And since I like shiny and not a huge fan of the comb-over intake, I had it polished. At this point I would go with something different, but I'm too far down the road to change my mind without losing my shirt on some of this stuff. I plan on running the CAI behind the shock tower so the tube will be a very short run under the hood. The rest of air will be supplied under the fender via the front valance. I have checked with Pro-M racing and they said no problem.

For the transmission I went with the 4r70w from an '01 V6 Mustang, using the Baumann computer for control. Shipped it to Phoenix Transmissions and let Greg work his magic. Should be good to at least 550hp. It's still in the box he shipped it back it so I have to wait a bit to actually get to see it. He built me a 9.5" Torque Converter with a stall speed of 3600 rpm. I sent him the cam specs and the rest of the required information, it sounds like a lot, but others I have chatted with say it should drive fine around town, the key being that it is a matched setup.

I plan on putting in an aluminum drive shaft, either one from a police crown vic or buying one already done. Still a little ways from that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1042.jpg (94.6 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1226.jpg (95.4 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg CHROME-LIKE-POLISHING-INTAKE-MANIFOLD-BEFORE-182.jpg (101.3 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg CHROME-LIKE-POLISHING-INTAKE-MANIFOLD-615.jpg (58.4 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg CHROME-LIKE-POLISHING-THROTTLE-BODY-119.jpg (53.4 KB, 51 views)

Last edited by 66resto; 10-03-2013 at 08:31 AM.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

Looks like a good start. Are you going to keep the gold or switch up the colors?

Chris
Injected65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2013, 02:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default Exterior

Lots I haven't decided on...like the color. Ugh. So many great colors and so many great cars. I like the factory Sunlit gold (some) from a personal aspect, not this 40 year old gold on it now and thought it might help it remain true to it's heritage, but I know if I ever need/want to sell, then that color won't help me. I like silver, but there are a lot of silver ones out there. I like black too, but so hard to keep it perfect. Silver hides more scuffs than black.

Car has plain hood on it now. I found a turn signal hood not too far away from me that I would like to pick up, could easily get my money back out of it if I change my mind later. Also I really like the steel scoop idea (same guy that made Garner67's scoop), just have to decide on theme of the car.

I'm all over the place. I really like the FastFoward Mustang (the sail panels especially). Taking off most of the trim. My car had the C channel trim (not sure of the proper term) down the fender and door. Bumper guards, side marker lights, trim over the trunk. Tail lights frenched.

Very clean lines is what I'm shooting for. I'm even up for removing the drip rails and installing 1 piece windows if they have improved them. I've read lots of negative stuff, but I still like the look.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg black hood.jpg (41.3 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg Fast Forward.jpg (31.7 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg Flashback Fastback.jpg (31.8 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg 1967 turn signal.jpg (4.8 KB, 106 views)

Last edited by 66resto; 10-03-2013 at 08:32 AM.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Injected65 View Post
Looks like a good start. Are you going to keep the gold or switch up the colors?

Chris
Still waiting to test fit your serpentine setup for you guys. Don't make me run the March...

Wizard Cooling radiator, Doug Lee valve covers...just need my Innovators West brackets.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

Love the stance. Looks likes its sitting perfect. I know your excited
OkBrent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2013, 08:10 PM   #8 (permalink)

I am trying to figure out which color to choose for my 65. Its always been gold so I kind of want to keep it original, but like you mention there are some really attractive looking late model colors as well.

I know, I know on the brackets Too many good ideas and not enough time and/or employees to get all of them made these days unfortunately.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

Brent- you'll have to let me know when you are near downtown and I'll show it to you before it's torn down and even uglier.

Chris- tell them I'll throw in an extra twenty on the purchase price if they move that bracket up the to do list.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

Looks good jAy to see progress, hey tell me bout the mirror finish polisher you used thst intake looks awesome. I think i want to polish my 8 stacks now.
55Speed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2013, 04:51 PM   #11 (permalink)

Chris, was yours originally Sunlit Gold or Black Hills Gold? If I decided to keep it gold, I might be silly to change golds when it could match its paint code...but there won't be much left that matches anything from the Marti report so I probably won't sweat it.

There is also a Spanish gold or "Special Gold" from the Rainbow of Colors or Golden Mustang Special. I think Rainbow may be the same as Black hills Gold and the Gold Nugget Special was Sunlit.

Last edited by 66resto; 10-02-2013 at 04:55 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:14 PM   #12 (permalink)

"68" My favorite Mustang!

68 Fastback.
351Windsor-4V, 4sp

Last edited by Harleydave; 10-02-2013 at 05:35 PM.
Harleydave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2013, 05:27 PM   #13 (permalink)

If I had to pick a color right now, it would probably be the 2009 Ioccoca Mustang 45th Anniversary edition. That color is stellar and I have always liked the Mercedes McLaren, which it reminds me of.

I'm not going to worry too much about what is overdone and what isn't...there aren't that many Mustangs I see everyday but mine so it can't be too overdone, no matter what color I pick.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg iacoccamustangfd_05_opt-1255241346.jpg (75.7 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg SLR_McLaren-Mercedes_IAA2003_Matl09180156e.jpg (89.6 KB, 52 views)
Old 10-02-2013, 08:41 PM   #14 (permalink)

Sweet project, looking forward to more pictures as you progress.

69 Mach 1 H-code 418W/TKO600/Holley Terminator EFI/RMP Front Coil-Over/TCP Manual R&P/3.70 Auburn Pro/Global West SFC-5 Leafs-Del-A-Lum/Koni's/Magnaflow 2.5 X pipe

Build pictures:

http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h127/chillininnh/
chillininnh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2013, 09:13 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66resto View Post
Chris, was yours originally Sunlit Gold or Black Hills Gold? If I decided to keep it gold, I might be silly to change golds when it could match its paint code...but there won't be much left that matches anything from the Marti report so I probably won't sweat it.

There is also a Spanish gold or "Special Gold" from the Rainbow of Colors or Golden Mustang Special. I think Rainbow may be the same as Black hills Gold and the Gold Nugget Special was Sunlit.

The factory color is Prairie Bronze Metallic but everybody always calls it gold it seems. I went back to that color when I did the first resto back in the 90's, but like you mentioned, not a single thing is stock any more so I'm torn on what to paint it this go around. I'm sort of partial to Viper Gunmetal Gray.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.