Pinion angle experts chime in! - Vintage Mustang Forums

2Likes

post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Pinion angle experts chime in!

Need opinions please. I have read that optimum pinion angle for a performance street car with leafs is around 3 degrees down. However I have also read that the stock Ford angle is 5 to 7 degrees up. Is this correct? I have an Explorer 8.8 rear that I am installing. I have already shortened the one side and need to weld on the leaf spring perches. Which brings me to my next question. Can you weld the perches on while the rear is out on a level surface with an angle finder or does it have to have weight on it? Any input appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 10:17 PM

Cool

I have installed several 8.8 explorer rearends in 64- 66 mustangs,(67's up also set @ the same) & I set the pinion angle @ 5 degrees up (for street use & occasional drag) with the spring perches set @ 0 degrees & you're good to go. I measured off of the pinion flange. It's ok to weld it off the car, that's the way I do it too.( & with no weight)

66 mustang resto-mod //1 owner
2011 mustang--my favs. are burnin rubber & screamin women

Last edited by 1koolride; 10-01-2013 at 10:19 PM.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-02-2013, 05:08 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Koolride! This is what confuses me. Did Ford set this angle because of the angle of the driveline? I know that when torque is applied, the rear end wants to twist in the upward motion. Which is why people shim or set the rear to a downward angle. Hmmmm?

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-02-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrier View Post
Thanks Koolride! This is what confuses me. Did Ford set this angle because of the angle of the driveline? I know that when torque is applied, the rear end wants to twist in the upward motion. Which is why people shim or set the rear to a downward angle. Hmmmm?
I welded a set of spring pads to an 8.8 last night. My oem housing was set 5* up.

With everything bolted in the car, stock housing, my settings are (going off memory but confident in the numbers):

rockers level for a baseline
pinion 3* up, weight resting on the springs
engine 3* down

In a perfect world the engine, drive shaft and rear diff would be inline. This minimizes the power loss. The reality is they can't be set that way. Drag racers will set the pinion angle (on leaf spring cars) down a bit to allow for the twist in the springs under load. The less angle differential the loss power loss.

It is recommended to alter the spring pad angle a bit if you are running a lot of horsepower. BUT, you must keep the engine and pinion angle within 2* to prevent vibration. I set mine at 3* up and will alter the engine angle to make it work.

I haven't researched it but I would bet using under rider traction bars would not require altering the pad angle if set up properly.

Sense is not as common as you think.
17" MB Old School wheels from discount tire (a lot of people ask)
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-02-2013, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Great info Ocho thanks! Since I am doing a 5.0/T5 conversion kit its probably best if I wait and take those measurements before I weld on the perches.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-02-2013, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1koolride View Post
I have installed several 8.8 explorer rearends in 64- 66 mustangs,(67's up also set @ the same) & I set the pinion angle @ 5 degrees up (for street use & occasional drag) with the spring perches set @ 0 degrees & you're good to go. I measured off of the pinion flange. It's ok to weld it off the car, that's the way I do it too.( & with no weight)
This is confusing me because I though the perch would set the pinion angle, what am I missing?
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrier View Post
Great info Ocho thanks! Since I am doing a 5.0/T5 conversion kit its probably best if I wait and take those measurements before I weld on the perches.
With that combo I would match the stock angle on your housing.

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeside'66 View Post
This is confusing me because I though the perch would set the pinion angle, what am I missing?
Set jig with perches level and pinion angling up 5 degrees then weld.

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 01:36 AM

Gotcha, I was over thinking it.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 05:01 AM Thread Starter

I forgot to mention the 5.0 has a trick flow top end kit. So i am guessing it will have about 380 hp. Should I stay at the 5 degrees up or should I bring it down a bit?
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 05:22 AM

Keep in mind that welding a spring perch at 5 deg will not result in a 5 deg pinion angle in the car, because the area at the spring to which the axle mounts is not horizontal (slopes upwards towards the rear, so pinion angle will be less than 5 deg).
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 11:10 AM

I too welded my explorer rear off the car..I also welded mine to factory pinion angle and have a moderately healthy 5.0. I used a custom length alum ds with my t5. I dont have a single hint of vibration at any speeds...it works flawlessly

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

-66 mustang 5.0 custom comp cam roller, edelbrock performer heads, airgap/670 carb,holley blue pump,2005 mustang discs, t5z trans with clutch cable, 130 amp taurus alt. 1996 explorer 373 8.8 rear, open tracker roller suspension, solid adj strut rods and more
-72 maverick 302 undergoing FULL resto
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8only View Post
I too welded my explorer rear off the car..I also welded mine to factory pinion angle and have a moderately healthy 5.0. I used a custom length alum ds with my t5. I dont have a single hint of vibration at any speeds...it works flawlessly

What angle(degree) to you weld the perches at?
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 09:48 PM

I knew someone was gonna ask lol...i forget, been a couple of years.. i google searched stock 66 mustang pinion angle and when I was satisfied with the number that I found i used that...4-5 degrees ish up sounds about right

-66 mustang 5.0 custom comp cam roller, edelbrock performer heads, airgap/670 carb,holley blue pump,2005 mustang discs, t5z trans with clutch cable, 130 amp taurus alt. 1996 explorer 373 8.8 rear, open tracker roller suspension, solid adj strut rods and more
-72 maverick 302 undergoing FULL resto
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 11:24 PM

I would match it. I ran 350hp at the stock angle with 5 leafs. I didn't have any vibrations

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page