Vintage Mustang Forums banner

temporary manual brakes

827 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  mitchmedford 
#1 ·
Quick question. My resto-mod i(68 fastback) is going to get new brakes last and currently has power disk front, drum rear. I am going to leave the engine out for a bit, but move the car around a fair amount, so no vacuum. Can I stick a manual master cylinder on it so that I have manual brakes for use while moving it around?

#2 ·
Absolutely. It's the MC that dictates manual vs power, although the pedal geometry won't be ideal (Slightly different setup)... it'll be really light and I would guess still be ok. The brakes are the same. Just for moving around... I wouldn't even change out the master, it just won't have any assist to it, and no bleeding etc...

#4 ·
You do realize the brakes will still work fine without vacuum? You just have to give the pedal a little firmer push.
My sons booster went out last week in his Blazer. Thankfully it was only a curb behind him and not another car. It caught him off guard, and he called in a panic. I told him to use both feet if he had to.
And he had to finish his shift delivering pizzas like this.

#5 ·
What new brakes are you getting? If just new calipers, pads, shoes, etc... why would you take down the power stuff (unless of course it's not working) to manual? My car is manual brakes, and while it's fine coming to stop and whatever needed while driving... I do miss that assist sitting at a light with an automatic, I usually shift to neutral waiting, because it takes a fair amount of effort.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.