Best $200 mod ever (EPS). - Page 78 - Vintage Mustang Forums

102Likes

post #1156 of 1165 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 05:03 PM

hmm...I had a similar issue. I did relocate the ecu and extended the sensor wires. Also using the Molex connector. But I heard the ecu solenoid click, a few seconds later a second click (like it was turning off. Prob not getting signal from torque sensor).
Had to take the whole assembly out and found one of the thin sensor wires broke at the solder. re-soldered... all fixed.

I question the no click from the solenoid at all. Power to the ecu? Power to the Bruno controller? Connection(s) From the Bruno controller to the ecu.
ALSO...if relocating the ecu it MUST have a dedicated ground to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1157 of 1165 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 06:59 PM

Ditto on the grounds Henry, very important.

Modified 68 Mustang convertible, 331,AOD, MCA Red Grille Medallion, 2014 MCA Pinnacle Award Driven class
05 Mustang, MCA Grand National Gold
post #1158 of 1165 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 08:51 PM

Garage
I'm still not driving my Cougar yet, almost done with the drive train. But, I got a new battery the other day and was doing some wiring stuff, and while I was at it tidied up the wiring on the EPAS just used some wire ties to bundle some of it up. At that point I think everything was still good, but today I finished installing a new one wire alternator and my electric cooling fan. When I powered it up the steering wheel jerked all the way to the left by itself. It did it every time I turned on the switch. I remember something in the instructions about adjusting some kind of trim to center it. Any ideas on what's wrong, didn't have time today to really investigate it, but I'm off tomorrow and plan on tackling it.

93 Ranger 306 EFI GT40 intake and heads, T5
95 Ranger 4cyl 2300, soon to be V8
69 Cougar 351W, FMX 81k miles restomod work in progress 4yrs and counting.
http://cougarrestoration.weebly.com/

post #1159 of 1165 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 09:09 PM

frankie3555,
I think somebody else reported this issue. IIRC, they had crossed two of the little torque sensor wires incorrectly.
He switched it back and it was fine.
It's in one of these 78 pages...
DannyG
post #1160 of 1165 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie3555 View Post
I'm still not driving my Cougar yet, almost done with the drive train. But, I got a new battery the other day and was doing some wiring stuff, and while I was at it tidied up the wiring on the EPAS just used some wire ties to bundle some of it up. At that point I think everything was still good, but today I finished installing a new one wire alternator and my electric cooling fan. When I powered it up the steering wheel jerked all the way to the left by itself. It did it every time I turned on the switch. I remember something in the instructions about adjusting some kind of trim to center it. Any ideas on what's wrong, didn't have time today to really investigate it, but I'm off tomorrow and plan on tackling it.
Did you relocate the eco? Sounds like either the torque sensor wires are crossed or one of the wires is no connected. The EPA will do this if the sensor wires are unplugged.

Baxter

1965 A Code GT Fastback
Rangoon Red/Black

post #1161 of 1165 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 09:07 AM

I took the 68 with the "Vue" EPAS out for the first time yesterday. Without overly elaborating on what other successful modders have said, it performs as advertised.
Very, very happy with the performance.

At full boost, one finger parallel parking.
At turnpike speeds, zero boost the car tracks perfectly with no wander.
Around town and general driving the pot is at half boost.

Great to get rid of the PS pump and all the related original hydraulic components.

A big thumbs up to the all guys that did the ground work and contributed to this mod.

Modified 68 Mustang convertible, 331,AOD, MCA Red Grille Medallion, 2014 MCA Pinnacle Award Driven class
05 Mustang, MCA Grand National Gold
post #1162 of 1165 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyG View Post
frankie3555,
I think somebody else reported this issue. IIRC, they had crossed two of the little torque sensor wires incorrectly.
He switched it back and it was fine.
It's in one of these 78 pages...
DannyG
Yep, that was me! It did the same thing you are describing. I'd bet any thing when you were "tiding up" the wires you pulled at least one loose. Bet if you get them all re-attached correctly the problem will go away (just like mine). Good luck! Mel
post #1163 of 1165 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 12:19 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Darkhorse View Post
Yep, that was me! It did the same thing you are describing. I'd bet any thing when you were "tiding up" the wires you pulled at least one loose. Bet if you get them all re-attached correctly the problem will go away (just like mine). Good luck! Mel
Well, the problem I was having seemed to be sporadic, and seemed to have fixed itself after I tightened up a ground wire, but then it came back with a vengeance turning forcefully to the right I think. I turned the controller knob to off and could then steer it manually. Then, it just died and now nothing happens, no click from the controller or anything. Went to the salvage yard and got another motor, but after taking out the old one, I hooked up a hot and ground to it and it's spinning. I checked power and ground to the controller and they are good and the yellow wire coming out of the back of the rheostat is hot. I'm about to shoot myself! This steering was working perfectly for over a year, however...I didn't have a battery for the Cougar yet, so I would test it with my daily driver's battery. In the meantime, I was moving the car in and out steering it without the power steering tugging on the steering wheel. Could I have damaged the torque sensors doing that? I hate to have to pull this whole mess and start all over again, as I have all my interior here waiting to install it!

post #1164 of 1165 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 01:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie3555 View Post
Well, the problem I was having seemed to be sporadic, and seemed to have fixed itself after I tightened up a ground wire, but then it came back with a vengeance turning forcefully to the right I think. I turned the controller knob to off and could then steer it manually. Then, it just died and now nothing happens, no click from the controller or anything. Went to the salvage yard and got another motor, but after taking out the old one, I hooked up a hot and ground to it and it's spinning. I checked power and ground to the controller and they are good and the yellow wire coming out of the back of the rheostat is hot. I'm about to shoot myself! This steering was working perfectly for over a year, however...I didn't have a battery for the Cougar yet, so I would test it with my daily driver's battery. In the meantime, I was moving the car in and out steering it without the power steering tugging on the steering wheel. Could I have damaged the torque sensors doing that? I hate to have to pull this whole mess and start all over again, as I have all my interior here waiting to install it!
Missed the edit window by one minute. I have now found out on epowersteering.com that if you use a single wire alternator, which i coincidentally just installed about the time my problems started, you can have a voltage spike which can short out the controller. They said to put 3 diodes inline on the red power wire to the controller to fix it. To add more fuel to the fire, while I was rewiring for the alternator, my engine ground/negative battery terminal flopped over and touched the positive terminal, blowing the fusible link. I replaced the link, but THAT might have something to do with it too. So, I think I might just re-order another controller kit from epowersteering as they have them here in the states and cheaper than getting it directly from Bruno.

post #1165 of 1165 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 08:57 PM

Garage
Well...nevermind! I took it all apart and checked everything thoroughly and decided to put it back together and deal with it later. However..it works perfectly now and I have a spare steering motor. Here's a pic of interior in progress.

Last edited by frankie3555; 04-25-2017 at 09:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page