Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Best $200 mod ever (EPS).

662K views 1K replies 172 participants last post by  juit 
#1 ·

Attachments

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
So the main two parts needed are the steering unit from a VUE and a control box from that guy in Europe correct?

Also, just thinking out loud. I also would really like a tilt wheel. I wonder if I could just swap in the entire unit, and make my adaptations at the far end of the column?

#10 ·
People keep asking for specific build details in multiple threads here, and other forums, and nobody seems to want to give them. Weird.

#19 · (Edited)
You will need some wire cutters, a 13 mm socket, a socket wrench with extension (impact driver with socket adapter is what I used) and a smaller socket (7 mm i think, bring an assortment) that can go on a screwdriver. The smaller 7mm bolts hold the dash panels on, once those are out of the way there are two 13mm bolts holding the front (1 and 2 below) and one long 13mm (3 below) that the column pivots on, you access it from the left side and it pulls all the way out. All three 13mm a easy to reach, but getting the long one threaded out can take some time.

Take as much wiring as you can get.

The car I pulled mine from had been smacked in the front, so I couldn't get under the hood to release the steering shaft. There is a bolt holding the first u-joint onto the splined shaft (4 above), I undid that and gave the whole unit a good yank. Well, the u-joint in the engine compartment failed first (5 above), which worked out great for me. As you can see, I got the first u-joint and the collapsible part of the column behind it. :)

#20 ·
I just pulled the epas steering column out from the junkyard as well. Thinking of getting the ebay Vue epas steering controller...

Couple of questions...

Anyone figure out the wiring to make the steering sensitivity based on speed?

Anyone with the ebay controller willing to send me a pic of their instructions via PM? I'd like to see what controls what with the wiring...

I know that some people have figured a way to make a corsa b/c epas steering speed sensitive by using a speedo corrector/healer box....thinking there must be a way we could do the same with the vue/equinox epas steering setup.

#23 ·
Anyone with the ebay controller willing to send me a pic of their instructions via PM? I'd like to see what controls what with the wiring...
A pm so that nobody else can see it? Sharing info is cool.

#21 ·
From what I've read the speed sensitivity really isn't worth it. If you mimicked the vue setup then you would have an assist "curve" for a small SUV, not a classic mustang with whatever steering setup you have. It would take some fiddling to get it to feel right, if you even could. But with a knob, it sounds like most find the sweet spot quickly, then set and forget. I don't have a problem turning a knob for parking lots or freeways or whatever comes in between, I bet I barely ever adjust it once set.

#30 ·
i keep looking over this document and hoping somehow 3254 can be replaced with the unit.. It will be tight, may require some kind of coupling or adapters but it may work if the long shaft on the vue column is sized down... I really need to get one and start measuring stuff.. this is all in my head but with no power booster i think it could fit

Attachments

#31 ·
Going to go grab this steering wheel this weekend, as well as order that harness on ebay. I was afraid I would have to switch from power to manual steering due to fitment issues, but this looks like it will solve all my steering issues! Please keep us updated on how this install will work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.