Aftermarket A/C? - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Aftermarket A/C?

Taking delivery of a Dynacorn 67 Fastback in about a week or so, and I'm attempting to complile a list of stuff I'm going to need. I've pretty much settled on an American autowire loom, Classic Instruments, and Street or Track suspension. Tonight I went looking for a heat and A/C system and really couldn't find much. About the only the only thing I saw was Vintage Air, I've used them before but was wondering what else is available? Thanks, John

John

Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.
'14 SHO with most all the bells and whistles. Stock for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 09:02 PM

I'm happy with my old air system.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 09:09 PM

Vintage Air, Old Air, and Classic Auto Air are probably the most well known. I have a Vintage Air system and it works great.

'66 Emberglo Coupe
Modifications:
5.0 EFI conversion
TwEECer EFI tuning
T56 6-speed
Rod & Custom Motorsports IFS
TCP subframe connectors
Vintage Air Heat & AC

'99 Black Cobra - Daily driver

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 01:33 PM

There is a company out called Resto mod Air. I believe they are a susidiary of Classic Air. I'm thinking of using them on my build. If not then I'll probably go with a Classic Air system.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 04:20 PM

I used the Vintage Air SureFit Gen IV kit which enables you to retain the factory controls and vents, keeping things nice and original looking. The deciding factor for me between this set-up and Classic Air's was that they require you to drill and make holes in the car to install --- no way. Vintage air used all existing holes and such, very clean...

1970 Mach 1, 351C-4v, FMX, everything black - restored in '13 for the wife.
1947 Ford 1.5 Ton Flatbed truck -restored in '07
1930 Ford AA Doodlebug tractor - unrestored, as built during WW2
2010 F-350 King Ranch, Crew diesel
2013 Lincoln MKT
.....and my son's name is Ford... I still can't believe that the wife let that one go!...
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 04:50 PM

Whichever you decide make sure it will work with the AAW kit you are planning to use, maybe all three (Vintage, Old Air, Classic) do. Anybody know for sure I need to know this myself.

68' Fastback 302 GT, 350hp,T5z, some mod's
Near total rebuild began 12/08 AND NOT DONE YET
Davy Crockett: "Be sure you're right then go ahead"
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ocious View Post
Whichever you decide make sure it will work with the AAW kit you are planning to use, maybe all three (Vintage, Old Air, Classic) do. Anybody know for sure I need to know this myself.
I believe that all will work as they are universal, simply need a + & - 12V power hookup.
Vintage air provides a circuit breaker that mounts underhood, I hid mine on the firewall for a stock look, and requires a 12V battery feed. It bypasses the factory heater power entirely, although you could probably use that if you insisted.

2013 Lincoln MKT
.....and my son's name is Ford... I still can't believe that the wife let that one go!...
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 05:19 PM

The AAW kit I recently purchased (but not yet installed) states "Due to space constraints and mounting location of the fuse panel itself, this harness CANNOT be used in a vehicle with factory A/C." That is what scares me a little about the Vintage Air Gen IV system, because it uses the factory holes and mounting locations. I have been leaning toward the Old Air "Hurricane" system even though I think it may be pricier, but might rethink this if I know the Vintage Air will work. Can anybody confirm this? Hope I'm not hijacking this thread but it looks like we are in the same boat here.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 07:12 PM

Well, I am thinking that you'll be OK as you do not wire the aftermarket AC system into any existing vehicle AC/heat wiring to power it, it will have its own ground & hot wires that get connected to the battery... not the car's fusebox and harness.

The power needed is mainly for the blower motor, secondarily for control circuitry. I simply taped off/tucked away the existing harness plugs that went to the original heater box. I then ran the new feed from the battery, taping into the existing harness to the voltage regulator and connecting to the solenoid on the switched 12V Bat term.

You can't even tell that I have the aftermarket system installed, the only giveaway is the modern Sanden compressor. As for the Vintage system using stock holes/mounting.. this means that you will not be drilling any holes in your car, everything mounts neatly in the spaces that were meant for it and it looks like it belongs. Others look out of place, require holesawing of the rad support and holes drilled for bracketry and such that will stand out like a sore thumb... just my opinion after research for my needs though...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 70engine.jpg (100.7 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg 70interior.jpg (97.8 KB, 49 views)

2013 Lincoln MKT

Last edited by RavenBlack1970Mach; 12-03-2014 at 07:16 PM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenBlack1970Mach View Post
Well, I am thinking that you'll be OK as you do not wire the aftermarket AC system into any existing vehicle AC/heat wiring to power it, it will have its own ground & hot wires that get connected to the battery... not the car's fusebox and harness.

The power needed is mainly for the blower motor, secondarily for control circuitry. I simply taped off/tucked away the existing harness plugs that went to the original heater box. I then ran the new feed from the battery, taping into the existing harness to the voltage regulator and connecting to the solenoid on the switched 12V Bat term.

You can't even tell that I have the aftermarket system installed, the only giveaway is the modern Sanden compressor. As for the Vintage system using stock holes/mounting.. this means that you will not be drilling any holes in your car, everything mounts neatly in the spaces that were meant for it and it looks like it belongs. Others look out of place, require holesawing of the rad support and holes drilled for bracketry and such that will stand out like a sore thumb... just my opinion after research for my needs though...
Ok, my concern is not the wiring. My worry is that the required location of the fuse block for the AAW kit might interfere with the required location of the Vintage Air components being one and the same. Two objects cannot occupy the same space concurrently. I would really like to hear from someone (other than the respective manufacturers) who has actually installed both these systems in the same 67/68 car and was there a conflict or not? Thanks!

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 09:20 PM

I'm going to bump this 2 year old thread, please forgive me. I have the same question as below: I'm looking at an AAW kit and a vintage air kit. Would these interfere with one another. Anybody have experience installing these together? Or the classic auto kit with an AAW kit?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomSi View Post
I'm going to bump this 2 year old thread, please forgive me. I have the same question as below: I'm looking at an AAW kit and a vintage air kit. Would these interfere with one another?
I have since learned that the AAW fuse block can be located elsewhere so as not to interfere. Some put it behind the glove box for instance, or on the left side somewhere. The length of the wires are generous to that purpose, there is flexibility for it.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 01:12 AM
fej

My AAW harness is mounted in the far left corner on the firewall (didn't care about the vent, might have all worked in a non-hydraulic MDL clutch car). The ignition key circuit is pretty tight, everything else had plenty to work with. Most of my wires are hidden in the fender wells and everything reached except a small splice in the piggy backed horn circuit (about 6"). You do have to move it from the suggested template location if you want A/C however. The awesome write up from this site (on CJ) shows what he did pretty accurately (under cowl).

Fej

1966 GT Coupe
Not much left original
Trying to do things once
MMI CO ~ Astro A5 ~ FiTech ~ MGW ~ AAW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page