Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Six figure restomod FAIL

5K views 43 replies 19 participants last post by  Blue Blood 
#1 ·
Hope they fired the painter...sweet build but, seriously this I the one of the first thing you learn about striping... Optical illusion has to be compensated for...

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
Looks intentional to me..

It looks like they tried to "V" it as it went down the car...

:eek:)

#9 ·
Check out the stripes on an original Shelby Cobra, they're wider near the windshield than over the grille and the trunk. But that stripe down under the bumper on that car just looks weird.

#10 · (Edited)
That definitely looks intentional to me. I painted boats for thirty years and did thousands of feet of striping, you have to follow the lines of the object that is getting the stripes and throw measurements out the window. It's all about the visual effect. So, based on the vast number of boats that I have striped and my personal opinion I think it looks great and would NOT fire the painter. This is a job well done. What does the striping look like at the front of the car? Is it consistent?

#14 · (Edited)
Trust me...that was not intentional... Tape stripes are tapered for new mustangs when you buy them in order to appear "even" as the travel away from your eye...this was not compensated for in this car. Maybe this VW was supposed to look like this too...lol! When you have a curve you have to adjust the stripe...

Attachments

#15 ·
Might want to find a pic of the stripe in front to decide if it was a mistake or intentional.

#21 ·
Not to disagree with someone whom obviously has the $$$$$$.$$ to afford multiple SEMA builds, and with all due respect (I'm sure), but the larger stripe towards the center of the car clearly narrows from the trailing edge of the rear window all the way to the bottom of the rear valance. The only potential error I can spot is the space between the left edge of the larger center stripe and the next stripe to the left appears slightly more narrow at the trailing edge of the rear window than at the trailing edge of the deck lid. That may be an optical illusion. I would have to bust out a tape or some calipers to verify.

I'll admit, the car isn't really in my wheelhouse from a taste perspective and even farther from a financial realm (as are most ALL SEMA builds), but obviously the financier of this project liked it...most likely no less than you like yours.

#23 · (Edited)
I'm no pro , not even a fair amateur , but , what I see is the large stripe is left of center (consistent front to back over car) but as it flows over the trunk into the bumper , then into the valance the edge to center is no longer strait but angles to the center. The outer stripe follows the style line as it moves toward center and "pushes" the thick center stripe (making it thinner at the trunk rear edge) but as the outer stripes roll under they seem to push toward center.

It seems to create a look that the green stripe gets wider as it rolls under.

I say visual mistake.

#24 ·
I'm no pro , not even a fair amateur , but , what I see is the large stripe is left of center (consistent front to back over car) but as it flows over the trunk into the bumper , then into the valance the edge to center is no longer strait but angles to the center. The outer stripe follows the style line as it moves toward center and "pushes" the thick center stripe (making it thinner at the trunk rear edge) but as the outer stripes roll under they seem to push toward center.

I say visual mistake.
Right, I'm not stating that the stripe is supposed to be in the center of the car, I'm stating that you have to make adjustments on the stripes so they appear consistent as it falls off the back....

#32 ·
I apologize if you took my response as I didn't intend it, and I can assure you, I'm not hating on anyone, or anyone's build...SEMA or not, which is precisely the point I was trying to make. I can go along with the Craigslist and eBay follies and poke fun at the ridiculous cars we have all seen posted there and relayed here, most are quiet are humerous. However, as a gentleman of your obvious stature, I don't think I would post pictures of a car of which you obviously spent thousands, maybe over one hundred thousand and then bash another owner's car for most likely doing the same. One's individual taste is just that, albeit not a license to disgrace someone else's. That's all I was attempting to point out...gracefully.

BTW...I particularly like the wheel design on the latest rendering in signature as apposed to the wheels on the car in your previous signature. However, I'm not bashing the previous ones. I just think the wheels pictured suit the lines of the car as rendered.

#35 ·
I agree on the wheel choice, we couldn't find or have made the original rendered wheel in the size we needed in time for the show...the current wheel was our second choice and I am still waiting on the new front wheels that has a lip. It looks strange to me with the front wheel having no lip...BTW I am a man of no significant stature."disgrace" I think is a bit over the top... But, thanks for clearing up MY misunderstanding...

#36 ·
I have been painting for a few years myself now. From an opinion standpoint I cannot tell if it was a mistake or done intentional. From and artistic standpoint I agree with the OP and say it looks off/does not flow well. I would prefer the stripes to be straight, rather than follow the contour of the valance.

However, with that said, I had my 98GT painted and applied the Eleanor theme to my car. If you look at the side stripe it is NOT even from start to finish. The stripe starts off normal to the Shelby design, but as it goes towards the rear wheel it widens. The stripe was placed on the car this way to match the contour/shape of the side body panel that was added, not to remain true to the original design.

So, in my particular case the stripe was widened on purpose in order to fit the lines of the car better. So, unless we get it straight from the painter we will not really know if this was a mistake or part of the design/intention of the painter.

#38 ·
Could be wrong of course, but it looks like a pretty obvious mistake to me. The stripe closest to the center doesn't even appear to have been laid out straight to me. It bows out a bit towards the outside about half way down through the deck lid. I know that having stripes "look" correct is an art unto itself. Masking my simple single white stripe with black pinstripe took me the better part of 10 or so hours to do. that includes the rocker stripes and masking the rest of the car but either way. Getting em' right when you are working out of your head isn't easy.

Now, with that said I feel like there is also a misunderstanding that SEMA car automatically means high dollar perfection. I have worked on several SEMA cars over the years and I can tell you that the quality varies greatly. YES there are a ton of absolutely beautiful cars there. But there are also more than a couple that you can tell the builder ran out of time. Hell, some still smell like paint fumes as they are rolled in the convention center.

#39 · (Edited)
It's a fail for several reasons other than the stripes. The color and frenched/shaved/flushed everything are reason enough that someone should be fired/sterilized/shot.

95% of restomods over the $75k mark are ****ing clownshoes, guaranteed. It's rare that someone has the poor sense to spend that kind of money on a car but also has good taste. Really rare.

Sorry to burst some bubbles but the majority of these "show stoppers" are fugly nonsense. They look like something a 19-year-old bonehead came up with while having a lottery fantasy between taking drive through orders.

#41 ·
It's a fail for several reasons other than the stripes. The color and frenched/shaved/flushed everything are reason enough that someone should be fired/sterilized/shot.

95% of restomods over the $75k mark are ****ing clownshoes, guaranteed. It's rare that someone has the poor sense to spend that kind of money on a car but also has good taste. Really rare.

Sorry to burst some bubbles but the majority of these "show stoppers" are fugly nonsense. They look like something a 19-year-old bonehead came up with while having a lottery fantasy between taking drive through orders.
opinions are just like...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.