Vintage Mustang Forums banner

4r70w/351windsor 68fastback fitment on front cowl problems

934 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  brv1960 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. I am new to this site and this is my first post. Hopefully someone can help me out as I need it badly, lol. Here is my problem. I have a 68 fastback that I'm rebuilding. It had a 302/c4 but have since pulled that out and had the body work done and now have a 351 in there. I also have a 4r70w with the Baumann controller. I also have total control motor mounts. I just tried putting the trans in so I could install my Ron Francais tranny mount. Problem is I can't quite get the tranny up into place ... hits the cowl in the very front for some reason. I knew it would be tight but I have read others have done it so never thought twice about doing this swap. Could it be that my motor mounts (total control) have the engine sitting a bit too high? Not sure what else to think and don't want to massage my cowl and tranny tunnel. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

#2 ·
i did the swap in my 69 vert. did you remove the metal tabs on the top and sides? that creates an issue. chances are, your mounts are the problem. I used the stock mounts and didn't have an issue. I cant seem to find the transmission crossmember you're talking about so that may be a problem as well. I ended up making my own.

#3 ·
Sorry, but it's Ron Morris uni-cross tranny bracket that I'm trying to install not Ron Francais. That is my wiring kit I'm just installing too, that's another topic altogether. The Ron Morris uni-cross is supposed to be made for this swap but I think I'm going to have problems with it unless I cut out the metal where the original tranny bracket bolts to as this uni-cross bolts to the frame rails. Just trying to get the trans hooked up to the motor so I can measure where the bracket must go and it looks like it will go pretty much where the old one went. I did cut the tabs off the front top sides and back top sides as well as I thought that might be the problem but it looks like what you said in that the motor mounts may be the issue. To me it seems these Total Control mounts put the engine a bit higher and back also from what the original mounts were. Hard to say as it's been about 5 years since I originally started this project and had to quit because of a house build. Thanks for your input it's much appreciated.

#4 ·
Rom Morris sells a drop motor mount that might give you the room you need.

#5 ·
Thanks John, I'll check it out. Maybe that's what I have to do. I just noticed too that my motor mounts are tightened right up (as they should be after everything is together) and I forgot to loosen them off before I started. I will also do that and then if not I guess I'll go to the Ron Morris drop motor mount. I guess I'll have a new set of Total Control mounts for sale then. Sucks when you buy stuff and it just don't quite fit!

#6 ·
Good News! Got the tranny in with what seems lots of room. I loosened off the motor mount brackets on the shock towers (Total Control) and then moved the large shim washers on the actual motor brackets to the back which moved the motor ahead 1/4". I know it doesn't seem like lots but Total Control says you can do that to get up to 1/2" either way. I originally had one on each side. Then I jacked up the tranny and after a bit of twisting and jacking up it went and then I put the top two bolts in for now. I must have originally got the tranny ****-eyed on the jack somehow and it just didn't seem to fit but it's up there and looking good.
Now I have to install the Ron Morris Uni-bracket but I noticed it will go a few inches back where the original one went. It looks like I will have to cut the metal away from the frame rails to make room for this new bracket but am worried that it may not be the right thing to do. If anyone knows please share your thoughts ... it would be much appreciated. After that then I will have to hook up linkage and it looks like I will have to move the shifter arm on the tranny upside down as it now just hits the old tranny metal????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.