Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Springs too small in the front!! ?

3K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  zray 
#1 ·
I've swapped a few springs in my time, but these ones are just way smaller than my stocks, never used insulators which it seems I need. I cut a half coil off and after I took the old ones off, they were about 4-4 1/2" off. With the stock ones being that much taller.

I can fit my new springs in without a spring compressor haha. So my question is, with about a 4" gap how much of an insulator would I need? It looks like I have about a little over 2" gap between the spring and the top of the shock tower.

Another thing. That's what I need right? Spring insulators??

#2 ·
Where did "these ones" come from?
Even a much thicker wire diameter is around 13" free height.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

#5 ·
I used the grab a trac 1" lowering springs and noticed same thing (560# if I recall) when I compared to stock springs. Thought maybe it was a mistake. Called John at Opentracker and he assured me all was ok and it was. Car sits and rides exactly how I hoped.

#7 ·
Yeah, one benefit of the benefits of the aftermarket lowering springs is that you don't need a coil spring compressor anymore. Totally normal.

#11 ·
Yep what they said, most aftermarket springs are much shorter with heavier coils, which allows for "drop out" type removal when the shock is not in the way. Unless something is terribly wrong with your replacement springs, it is a totally normal thing.

#15 ·
So, you cut lowering spring even shorter and are also using spring spacers? That makes no sense to me whatsoever. Hope you have dental insurance! :surprise:

If your springs are now so short that they are loose with the suspension hanging and the shocks installed, you have a problem. A problem that is the result of cutting the springs shorter.

Lowering springs may or may not be loose with the suspension hanging, but things will have to be brought together to install the shocks.

(I remember having this argument with johnpro years ago)

#16 ·
Its not too big a deal, its about a 1/2" off the top of the tower, I needed more than one inch lower on my front or else it wouldn't look right. I didn't just start hacking things away willy nilly. it would be fine without the insulators given the new information from the above post. thanks for.. that though.. I guess.. Hope you have life insurance!

#17 ·
I'm curious why you'd want 1" spacers? Why not just use standard thickness which is approx 1/4"??

Just thinking that thicker the spacer the the less secure the upper spring section is within that sweet spot in the upper tower pocket. I wouldn't want the spring secured from sideways movement by the weak collar of a plastic spacer.

#20 ·
Here is a photo of a stock spring next to two drop springs. Big difference. I can usually put them in without a compressor, sometimes not. It depends on if the car has the upper arm drop or not. It's easier with the upper arm drop. An option is to get a stock height big block spring and cut it down until you get the ride height you want. They are not as stiff as the "620" and sit taller in the car while giving a lower stance.

Stock Height Coil Springs -- Big Block (1967-1970) - Opentracker Racing Products

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.